Floride Caravelle info - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 37 First 1234567814 ... Last
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Floride Caravelle info

Default Isn't she lovely.......

Finally got the daughter married off.....but I still got the car...

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Very pretty. The bride complements the car very well.

1000+ Posts

Forgot about your prototype photo. First time I have seen one in colour. I guess you know the story how they were orginally to be Maserati 1500's.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Graham, your side air intakes are they open or closed? you can't really tell in the photo's, otherwise on your oval plate is it a 1092 Floride or a 1131 Floride S.
    I see you got your hard top on, well done, did you use glass or plastic.
    Beautifull bride, she actually out shines your car.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thanks John and Rod,

Yes the bride scrubbed up well, father of the bride took a lot more scrubbing but came good after a while.

My oval plate definately says R1092, it had drum brakes and king pin front end so must be definately a Floride.

I don't know the history of the car because the last owner is now deceased.

Side vents have never been installed on this vehicle (the stainless vents are just for show) the engine bay/radiator layout looks factory standard to me and I can't explain why this is so, just glad it all works.

I fitted polycarbonate rear and side windows for now until I find more parts. I kinda like the polycarbonate because the roof is light enough for me to handle by myself. I put several coats of Maguires wet look car wax on the polycarbonate to cover the fine scratches and it looks a treat, just like glass at first glance.

1000+ Posts

Would you say the engine bay is standard Caravelle and the instruments are definately Caravelle. Are the rear discs or drums? If discs that would be interesting as the master cylinder for discs and drums are different they require different valves. My guess is that a Floride front end has been attached to a Caravelle probably after some damage. It would be interesting to see the original chassis number, that will tell us a lot. Do the drums pull it up ok with the more powerful engine? I would love to see it as it is certainly a good looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Would you say the engine bay is standard Caravelle and the instruments are definately Caravelle. Are the rear discs or drums? If discs that would be interesting as the master cylinder for discs and drums are different they require different valves. My guess is that a Floride front end has been attached to a Caravelle probably after some damage. It would be interesting to see the original chassis number, that will tell us a lot. Do the drums pull it up ok with the more powerful engine? I would love to see it as it is certainly a good looking car.

Rod,

I can't explain the engine bay being the way it is but it sure looks original. The chassis number starts with R1092, the car had 4 wheel drum brakes and king pin front end until I got to it, I put R10 disc brakes on all four wheels and therefore had to change the front suspension to R10 as well to make it all work. Also have a close look at the front quarter glass pivots, there is a difference between the Caravelle and the Floride

As far as seeing the car, I will be a starter at the grand parade of French cars on Bastille day where ever it is held this year.

Icon5 Are these for real

I need a set for my mongrel Floride-Caravelle-R10-statesman don't ask till you see the car

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/pare-soleil-p...item3a641c8f90
    BX 16v 89, I Renault Floride 62, Volvo P1800 68, Aston Martin DB6 68, Daimler 250V8 68, Jaguar XJC 76, Falcon Ute XL 62, Falcon Ute XY 4WD, Jeep Grand Larado 03, Mazda 6 Wagon 05, inter 483 tractor 86, makita cordless drill CX TURBO its dented D Special 1 62 ID192000 Xantia V6 2000 Cadillac STS stolen by the princess,KANGA 720DL LOADER

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHRIVAL View Post
    I need a set for my mongrel Floride-Caravelle-R10-statesman don't ask till you see the car

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/pare-soleil-p...item3a641c8f90

Sunvisers, someone got a set at the end of last year through Renkins i can't remember who, and i think they were only 30 euro but dont quote me. I think the original type ones are, that you get from Renkins a oronge/yellow colour not the dark tint as in the above ad.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Sunvisers, someone got a set at the end of last year through Renkins i can't remember who, and i think they were only 30 euro but dont quote me. I think the original type ones are, that you get from Renkins a oronge/yellow colour not the dark tint as in the above ad.

I got some amber ones from Renkers for 90euro. well worth it.

1000+ Posts

I think your car would probably be the best in Qld by the look of the photo. Mine isn't too bad but pretty much original and starting to show that it's 48 years old. One we are restoring for the international visitors won't be too bad either but a long way from concourse.

Another thought perhaps yours is a Floride body with the vents welded up.

How about you come to at least to the welcome buffet meal before we start the rear engine Renault tour to Wellington NSW. Please let me know if you can. 4 - 5 pm Saturday 17th April at my place. BYO drinks, food supplied. Better still come on some of the activities, or best, the full tour. The French (and ozzies ) will be interested in seeing your car.

Web site for tour. http://robsrenosite.webplus.net/index.html

Someones been busy with a battery drill and red paint.( I should bring mine over for a spray.) With a new coat of red paint it would be looking pretty good, and best Qld car. Keep up the good work and can't wait to see it finished.
    Last edited by 63-1092; 19th March 2011 at 08:25 PM.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

It's a bit of a quicky respray. Should really be taken back to bare metal the bog has been on there for an unknown number of years and is normally not water proof so probably has some surface rust under it but we just don't have time. Hopefully it'll last a few years. Inside the car is reasonable. On a test run in the yard we got it into second and it seems to run really nicely. Once we can get it on the road we'll know. Hopefully it'll pass the roadworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I think your car would probably be the best in Qld by the look of the photo. Mine isn't too bad but pretty much original and starting to show that it's 48 years old. One we are restoring for the international visitors won't be too bad either but a long way from concourse.

Another thought perhaps yours is a Floride body with the vents welded up.

How about you come to at least to the welcome buffet meal before we start the rear engine Renault tour to Wellington NSW. Please let me know if you can. 4 - 5 pm Saturday 17th April at my place. BYO drinks, food supplied. Better still come on some of the activities, or best, the full tour. The French (and ozzies ) will be interested in seeing your car.

Web site for tour. http://robsrenosite.webplus.net/index.html
    Indeed they have been welded up...on close investigation this car has had the Caravelle conversion, and an expert job it was. As stated prior it looks like a factory standard job and cools like a beauty and never gets hot.

This conversion explains why the engine bay lid is vented like a caravelle.

John, I can recommend you do this to your ride if you cant get it to cool properly.

Good detective work Rob....or should I say Inspector Clouseau...

Last edited by 59 Floride; 24th March 2011 at 09:20 PM.

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the photos. It is a very nice car.

Finally after ten weeks i got my new rim, which is a caravelle or actually off a R10 rim insert chromed and welded onto 6" rims. Photo below is of my original one but i only had three so had to get a new one made and at $240 i didn't think was to bad. Now to do a bit of body adjustment to fit them into the front of the Floride. If you look carefully at the photo, which is while the wheel is on my first Floride where it fits and the car turns you can notice the difference.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Did a little bit of panel beating today and put my 6" wheels on the Floride. It looks so nice now with the fats on all corners. Handles alot better aswell with more rubber on the road. [-
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Well done John,

Keep chipping away at it, every time you tinker with the car it will get a little bit better.

Don't forget pics.

I also had a bit of time this arvo so i cleaned out all the foamafil and pipes out of my right side air intake. Which now lets in all the air from both sides into the engine bay, so i decided to give it a run on the freeway. And for the first time the temp gauge didn't hit red but stayed on green, mind you very high green but it has improved a bit.
    I did get some photo's done for you Graham, lets hope my Floride goes twenty more years and i might get my daughter to update the photo's as to look like yours above.

John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Time flies my friend, before you know it you will be walking her down the aisle as proud as punch, same as I did recently.

BTW nice car.

I took the radiator out yesterday, and started cutting up the R10 surround to fit into the smaller floride engine bay. I should of just left it in and cut the surround to fit around it. Didn't go well with the larger radiator. Now I'm thinking I might go the other way as our kiwi mates have suggested and put the fan back on the motor and have the two thermo fans aswell blowing the air in through the rear grille and blocking off the side air intakes, and see how it goes.
    Last edited by 63-1092; 10th April 2011 at 09:28 PM.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Put the car back together tonight, with the fan atttached to the motor with it's sheild on, and spun the two thermo fans around so i'm now trying to draw the air in through the rear grille. Didn't have anything to bloke off the front of the engine, so i'll still be getting the air in from the side vents but i'll give it a go on the freeway in the morning and see how it goes.
    I also pulled off the side drought webber and extractors off my other floride and was going to throw them on too, but the extractors haven't liked sitting around for ten years and have rusted badly, so that wont happen for now.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Thanks to the Kiwi guys, finally fixed it. Took it on a short run this morning for 10min each way and perfect. So this arvo feeling confident that it wasn't going to over heat, i thought i'd take it for a long run from Ringwood North to Brooklyn which is 50min each way with 25min of freeway driving and it was fine. I'm feeling that confident i might even take it to work on Monday up past Bendigo which is over two hours away with country highway driving at 110kph.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Good work John.

You wouldn't believe it, today i drove off down my street and got to the first speed hump and pop no brakes. Got it home and my six inch rim was rubbing on the brake hose. Luckily i've still got a R10 engine drive train sitting in the front yard.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Page 4 of 37 First 1234567814 ... Last

Thread Information