Floride Caravelle info - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 41 First 123456713 ... Last
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Floride Caravelle info

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I am looking at the prospect of learning how to sew and "have a crack" at making one myself.
    Our old singer might get a bit of a workout too!
    Is Jo's mum taking orders?

Advertisement
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    Our old singer might get a bit of a workout too!
    Can you make me one too???

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Can you make me one too???
    You might want to see what the end result is like, as I have no experience... 'sewing'.
    This would be my first attempt, and it may turn out total crap, and a waste of time!

I have however used this machine to sew leather and denim, so I know it can do it.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid View Post
    You're right, they are pretty average quality. We need to get the 100k picture limit changed in here!

I sure hope I have all the bits too, I do know of somewhere with a bunch more parts from years of wrecking them. I didn't have the money when I bought the car, but maybe someone here would be interested investigating this further.

David.

I don't suppose you would consider revealing the source of this bunch of parts?? I am still looking for a few Floride odds and ends.

I think it's mostly Caravelle stuff, bumpers, doors, wheels trim engines etc.. an old 4x4 trailer full, plus some... from what I saw, 3 of some things. So I think there'd be parts to go around a few FloCar owners.

Unfortunately, I don't think there were any hard-top bits anyhow, even if they were compatible. Engines and running gear, trim namely.

He wanted $1500 for the lot, but considering they would be spares I just didn't have the urgency, or space to store 'more' renault parts. I'd be more thinking 1/2 the asking myself, but I could be wrong..

That said, I haven't done a complete audit of all my parts that came with my Caravelle shell, I think I'll need some cosmetic parts like indicators and lenses renewed for a start, but there are likely more bits missing, so I might be interested in some bits, not all. He didn't want to part them, and I thought given time I could either convince him to sell 'some' bits, or find them locally.

Sydney northern beaches btw.

David.

I just remembered, I do have a Caravelle question.

Did the Caravelle S have particular badges on the front? the person that painted my shell seemed remove all evidence and painted over the badge lug holes on the front (and back / side(s) for that matter)

I did find a chart on a Caravelle site, but it was still unclear to me.

David.

Default Something to be avoided......

Thats gotta hurt.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-7f7741ffc8.jpg  

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

That was a 1131 Floride S, but Dav i did look into your Caravelle S question, i searched a few places and couldn't find anything, sorry mate.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Ihave a Caravelle S brochure. It shows Caravelle spelt in individual letters on the front. On the right rear engine cover the word Renault nothing on either side. Not sure of the date of brochure ut the Caravelle S was released in September 1965 as a 1966 model. The earlier Caravelle had an 1100 badge in place of the Renault badge on the engine cover. The Floride S did have a badge on the side indicating it as an "S" model. Caravelle S started at car number 20821.

Here's an airbrushed Floride for your viewing pleasure

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-ren2_750.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Interesting photo. Has a number of inconsistancies.
    Word on engine cover? Is it automatic?
    Number plate holder on bumper, normally on stainless grill.
    Two rectangles on rear grill? Additional reflectors?
    Sunvisors not curved and with right angle corners rather than round.
    Later Caravelle/R10 wheels.
    Hood not folded wonder why?
    USA bumper horns.
    Where did the original photo come from?
    Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Interesting photo. Has a number of inconsistancies.
    Word on engine cover? Is it automatic?
    Number plate holder on bumper, normally on stainless grill.
    Two rectangles on rear grill? Additional reflectors?
    Sunvisors not curved and with right angle corners rather than round.
    Later Caravelle/R10 wheels.
    Hood not folded wonder why?
    USA bumper horns.
    Where did the original photo come from?
    Interesting.
    I dunno where these pics came from but here are some more of the same car...neat job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-ren3_750.jpg   Floride Caravelle info-ren7_1024.jpg   Floride Caravelle info-ren4_1024.jpg  

1000+ Posts

This has been converted into a Caravelle engine bay. But they have not put air vents into the engine cover. One wonders how cool it ran. The upholstery looks fairly original. Did the yank cars have carpet on the front floor? It was an option in France.

This has been converted into a Caravelle engine bay. But they have not put air vents into the engine cover. One wonders how cool it ran. The upholstery looks fairly original. Did the yank cars have carpet on the front floor? It was an option in France.
    I can't answer any of these questions but my guess is that some guy has spent a small fortune on the restoration, and given the lack of grime, oil, road dirt I would guess he had a photo session before he has done a thorough road test.

Even though there have been many modifications the car still looks a treat....

Rob, i also noticed the unoriginal things, after seeing the new shots i would say it was an american car possibly, as it's in mph not kph, with the big horns on the bumpers as you said, and the clear lense indicators on the front. Dont know what the writting on the bonnet is but it is a manual with the wrong gear stick. The engine bay is all wrong as you said. The rear seat has been changed which is a bit shit because the soft top wont fold all the way in.
    I want to know what the keys on the yellow tags on the far left of the dash against the door frame are. And how it cools as i didn't think the caravelle radiator surround fits in with the floride cross bars on the bonnet, which one day i'll have to give it a go on mine as i still haven't fixed the over heating on mine yet.
    Last edited by 63-1092; 13th March 2011 at 11:58 PM.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

The rear seat looks standard to me. The gear lever may come from a Caravelle as perhaps they have fitted a Caravelle or R10 gearbox. The key or tag on the left is a mystery. The hood may not drop right down if it is a later hood. There is a bar across the inside that must be manually put down as you fold or else you get the result shown. I am positive that the engine in this car will not cool properly either. But I may be wrong. It is possible to get yours to work as it is as I have a mate with one that works and I have just taken photos for you. The problem is there size I will have to alter them or see if I can beat the system. I'll try.

1000+ Posts

Yer beat the system but it is a bit unwieldy to view. Still in a rush so here are some more.

Rob this is what mine looked like when i got it at christmas, obviously not the best layout which is why i've hacked into it. I have improved it but it's still not perfect.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

It certainly looks like it would over heat if it depends on the air from those pipes. Where does it exhaust? Changing a Floride to a Caravelle is a big job and much more complicated than may first appear. Because little things like the bumper dumb irons are too short on a Floride, sheet metal has to be altered etc. The one in the photo just has a standard R16 radiator and fan fitted in place of the original. The only other work was masonite blanking pieces beside the radiator and the converluted water hoses. It has been running for many years like this with no problems.

We think that we should have 5 Flocars from Queensland (with a slim possibility of a 6th) at muster at Wellington. Two are Florides converted by one means or another to R10 or R12 motors.

Rob,

Do you know how many road going Florides or caravelles there are in Qld/Brisbane??

1000+ Posts

I know of 6 registered or will be in next few weeks. These are owned by club members. There is another one that needs some work perhaps brakes and other minor stuff to become road worthy but there doesn't seem there is any intention to do so. There is another that I believe went for a road worthy recently and needed some work but I don't know the end result. I am not sure about your car. Finally there are several that may need unknown amount of work but their where abouts are known. There are also a number of wrecks that would need major rebuilds. There may be others that I do not have any knowledge of specially outside SEQld.

I know of 6 registered or will be in next few weeks. These are owned by club members. There is another one that needs some work perhaps brakes and other minor stuff to become road worthy but there doesn't seem there is any intention to do so. There is another that I believe went for a road worthy recently and needed some work but I don't know the end result. I am not sure about your car. Finally there are several that may need unknown amount of work but their where abouts are known. There are also a number of wrecks that would need major rebuilds. There may be others that I do not have any knowledge of specially outside SEQld.

Yes mine's a goer, I have owned it for 5 or 6 years and has always been on the road in that time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-af-054.jpg   Floride Caravelle info-af-056.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 16th March 2011 at 08:12 PM.

1000+ Posts

Love the colour. American overriders. You haven't bought it to any Renault events?

Love the colour. American overriders. You haven't bought it to any Renault events?

Er, no I haven't. Will try and make it on Bastille day this year.

I came across this prototype of the floride, it has the same basic specifications as the Floride we know but a different look

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride Caravelle info-352x170-images-stories-garage-renault_floride_1958.jpg  

Page 3 of 41 First 123456713 ... Last

Thread Information