Renault ball joint boots
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Renault ball joint boots

Hi all. Anyone out there know where you can get the 'rubber' boots for the tie rod ball joints on a 12 ? I bought a pair of generic close fit ones from the local Repco, but they were useless - they perished, just like real rubber, in about three months. I just HATE throwing away perfectly good tie rods just because of a little thing like a rubber boot... Plus I've got a spare set with knackered boots as well. Not to mention the $90 a pair they cost.

Incidentally, I've found a parts manufacturer on the web that seems to have a good stock of R12 parts (and other Euro cars) including panels, windscreen rubbers etc. etc. I know nothing about their pricing or mailing policy though - must find out when I have time. Trouble is, they're in Turkey... (I assume that's what 'tr' is) They're at http://www.kologlu.com.tr/RS.htm

Advertisement

PS Caravelle don't have the boots.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Stuey,

I have gone through a number of ball joints in my 17 over the years, mainly from pulling the driveshafts in and out- although I never tried going near the driveshaft oil seals.

Best to ask someone like David Cavanagh (posts fairly regularly on this site) as he is bound to have pulled a box apart and had to figure out the correct preloadings too.

I took the measurements to a suspension shop and they got one off the shelf for me, this may end up giving the same problems as you have already found though!

Anyone else found a solution, besides forking out the dough for new balljts when the ball joint is still perfect?

Seeya Ben

One strut bottom ball joint boot on my 504 cracked up soon after I installed the ball joint 5 years ago (about 100,000km ago). I just make sure I keep it well greased, so any muck is forced out. 504s have the advantage that you can tighten the strut bottom ball joint if they get loose.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Stuey,
    Tie rod boots were available BN (before Nissan) I used to order them though Volvo and they were expensive, about $35 each from memory, I have the part number at work, I'll dig it out for you.
    Seeya,
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    Well, I've repaired the tie rod ball joints using a universal ball joint boot you can find at almost any car spares place. I got mine from Repco - this brand (Kok) is very common, $4.50 a pair. Anyway, what you need for the R12 is a Kok TE4 which has a 34mm large diameter and a 14mm small diameter. The small dia. end is a little big so I used a small piece of radiator overflow tube (about 8mm long) slipped over the base of the ball joint taper to seal the boot. Two cable ties sealed the issue. Voila!

(of course, if you can get another brand boot with 34mm/12mm, you won't need the bodge with the rad. tube)

Lets hope I haven't Kokked it up.

Cheers

Stuey the cheapskate.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information