Test drove a Clio 1.4 yesterday
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Test drove a Clio 1.4 yesterday

Hi

My sister's looking at buying a car (a French car too ) and given we don't have a Renault she's been looking at the Clio.

We went up to the dealer in Waitara yesterday arvo and she took one for a drive. I was very impressed! It felt much roomier than the 306, and I love the fact that the sill is so ___low___ all around the car. Maybe it was just that I had the seat up fairly high? Everything in that car is adjustable!

Advertisement

For 20 grand, that car has 4 airbags, ABS brakes with emergency assist (applies max braking if you hit the brakes hard and fast), you name it it's got it. One cool thing (for city driving anyway) was the fact that when u reach 7km/h all the doors and hatch lock for security. When you open the doors from the inside it unlocks.

Anyway my sister loved it! I think she's going back tomorrow for a final drive with dad before making a decision.

I wish I had enough cash to buy a new car when I was 20

Derek

I think you may have driven the Manual. Did you get a chance to drive the automatic? I think they are 25000. Im glad it was a good car. I have been told they are very nice too....

1000+ Posts
    Hey Daniel,

Yeah we drove a manual. No, we didn't drive the auto cos my sister hates autos now.

I just got a call from her to tell me she just bought it. What a rounded froggy family we are now! 2 pugs, a citroen and a renault clio (expression 1.4 manual)

I think she gets it this week. She said she was getting one that the dealer at Waitara has in stock. They threw in a cd stacker (under the passenger seat) and floor mats

Derek

Sounds great to me. My god you do have all the french brands by the sounds of it.

Im glad you got the clio. Why didnt you get the 1.6 model instead. I think they might be more expensive? The model you have got doesnt have the leather interior does it its just the base model basically? Still very good car though.... wink

1000+ Posts
    Daniel,

It's not my car - it's my sister's. I had nothing to do with the purchase other than sitting in the passenger seat for a test drive.

Why didn't she get the 1.6? It's $24990 plus on-roads, and all you get are alloys, velour seats and 5kw more power and I think that's about it. Not worth it if you ask me.

You're right, it is the 'base model' but I've never seen a base model with so much equipment standard.
    She picks it up on Thursday or Friday. I look forward to taking it for a spin- I'll report back!

Derek.

Glad you enjoy the Clio, I lurve it's smooth ride - it puts most cars to shame. The interior is smart as well, probably the best quality, most appealing interior of any supermini downunder, IMHO (the trim in the Privilege looks a lot better than the Expression though).

You're absolutely right about the standard equipment. No other small car comes close. As for the 1.4 Auto Expression, in Melbourne I got a quote drive away brand new for $23,145, including metallic.

For an extra $4000 (manual vs manual) the Privilege gives you better interior trim, a 1.6 engine with +7kW/~+20Nm, climate control, alloys (bigger wheels & better tyres), trip computer (although you get this in the Expression if you order an auto), more adjustable headrests, foglights, CD player and lumbar support (we were going to get a Clio a few months back, but then went for a 307

I only have a few quibbles with the car. The "procraptive" automatic gearbox is terrible, it is very reluctant to upshift, so much so that on the freeway, the only way to get it to shift into 4th within 30 secs, is to turn off overdrive and then turn it back on.

Secondly, the car has no room in the rear. Anyone who is larger than small, will have their head buried in the headlining.

Aside from these two flaws, it's a great car.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Justin,

I thought the headroom in the rear was better than my 306

We don't like autos in our house, so the 1.4 auto was out of the question. Of course our XM is auto but the only reason is the XM Exclusive was only sold in auto...

I sat in the back with my sister in the driver's seat and the dealer in the front seat just in the yard and it seemed alright. Not roomy, but alright by small-car standards. I put the front seat back to the rear stops and there was only 100mm of legroom in the rear though. My 306 has about 250mm with the front seats at the rear stops. My sister's not tall so it'll be alright!

Derek.

Gee, is the 306 that small
    I haven't sat in one for a few years, but I think (aside from the 206CC), the Clio has the smallest rear seat I've ever sat in

Wheels had a gripe with the rear as well, and we all know how they love the Clio to death

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Well my sister picked up the Clio on Thursday and I took it for a drive yesterday. Very nice! Bit underpowered for my liking (1.4l 16V 72kw manual) but drives beautifully. Very very quiet compared to my 306.

It's got every gadget you can imagine. Whether that's a good thing or not we'll wait and see, but from memory:
    -when it's raining and you've got the wipers on, and you engage reverse the rear wiper goes.
    -the radio gets louder as you drive faster and quietens down as you slow down. You're supposed to set the volume when you're stationary and it goes from there
    -the wipers get faster as you get faster
    -the doors lock as soon as you drive off from a standstill and open when you physically open the door from inside
    -it has electically height adjustable headlights!?

Is this the wonders of multiplex electronics? I'm *amazed* a $20 000 car has all these gadgets.

Derek.

wink I guess all those gadgets are great and they sound great to me if i could afford a clio. I just wonder in 10 years if on this forum there will be all these electronic questions regarding all this like there is now for the R25 and all these haywire electrics on that car now? wink

1000+ Posts
    Daniel,

That's exactly what I meant when I said "It's got every gadget you can imagine. Whether that's a good thing or not we'll wait and see"

We'll just wait and see...
    Derek.

nJm
    I just hope the headlight adjustment copes better with time than those fitted to the Peugeot 505 etc.

I think its fairly common practice these days for European cars to have headlight hight adjust - even the Holden Vectra GL has it.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

wink My 19 has them but i dont know if they are electric or not. wink

Lucky girl

Is the Clio multiplxed as well?

I know the 307 is, and it has lotsa fancy toys. Leave a window open a little or so, press the lock button, windows all close The only thing I worry is if the head brain gets a bit 'sick' and it brings everything else downwith it. Hopefully it'll cope. Hopefully the Renault electronics will be better than those of yore, but with the improved perceptable quality of the Clio, I'm sure it'll be better. Let us know how she keeps up - I was going to get a Clio.

Give the car some time to develop some herbs. I'm sure you can help run the car in

Enjoy the car as much as you can before summer - the Expression has a pretty gutless A/C unit Somehow the Climate Control in the Privilege has more kick.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information