Hello All, R25 GTX owner from Perth
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Hello All, R25 GTX owner from Perth

Hi All,
    Just stumbled across the forum whilst parts-searching.
    I have an '86 R25 GTX.
    After owning run of the mill local cars I must say 10/10 to Renault on this one !
    Have just converted the auto box to an '88 Fuego 5 speed after the auto failed completely within one week. One lucky find recently was a set of brand new 15inch Megane alloys complete with new Michelin pilot tyres. The seller was a lady who had just purchased the car and immediately had a new set of (ugly) alloy wheels and tyres !
    Have any other R25 owners found the 2.2 a little asthmatic ? a relatively cheap fix I have found was to replace the exhaust from the first pipe after the headers with a 2" press bent steel system, a hot dog resonator and an ultraflow muffler. She not only sounds the part now but pulls considerably harder in all rev ranges.

Advertisement

Well I guess I should stop prattling on, it's just exciting to come across an Australian web site with French interests !

Keep Well
    James

What exactly was involved in the conversion to manual? I want to get an R25 (the Fuego is a bit loud and rough for lots of country driving), but the autos scare me a bit finacially.
    I'd be interested in how you got around things like d.shaft lengths, speedo pick up, clutch acuation (cable on fuego's, hydralic on R25's).
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole
    Haakon:
    What exactly was involved in the conversion to manual? I want to get an R25 (the Fuego is a bit loud and rough for lots of country driving), but the autos scare me a bit finacially.
    I'd be interested in how you got around things like d.shaft lengths, speedo pick up, clutch acuation (cable on fuego's, hydralic on R25's).

Tadpole
    I'll have to ask the technical details of my mechanic. But from memory all seems to be compatable and fit. Speedo pick up was fabricated, as was pedal box assembly (too close together for my liking)
    The Fuego box ratios far better suit the R25 making it more driveable in low-mid and high range revs.
    In my opinion the R25 is underrated and well worth looking into for the cost (around $3k)

I'll get further details for you mate.

James

James it sounds like your onto a good thing with your 25 What does your car look like with those megane wheels on it? Are they 15 inch? The exhaust sounds great too....

1000+ Posts
    OK James, you now qualify for an Aussiefrogs sticker. Send me your address by email if you're interested. Looks like the header at the top of the page. We need more exposure in Perth...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hi james,

I am itching to see a picture of your machine.
    Was the Fuego gearbox re-built? I have heard that fuego NG 'boxes are not as strong as the UN1 manual 'boxes in the early R25s (the ones with the hydraulic clutch).?

I have been tossing this option for many years with my R25's and have thought that I need a UN1 box from another R25?

I have heard that the Fuego box needs different driveshafts, chopped to fit, and they were not a success?

How much did this conversion cost?

Have you had the R25 on the dyno after the new exhaust?

What cost was involved with the exhaust?

I aminterested as I want more from my R25 too. Especially since it is an auto - at the moment!!!!

I look foward to hearing from you

Regards

Luke Drady - ACT
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Tadpole
    Thanks for the replies guys,

With regards to the specifics, fuego 5-speed etc. I'll still have to get back to you. My technical knowledge is still fledgling ! But my understanding is that the manual box is stronger than that of the original 25 and evidently has better matched ratios.

The low down torque increase brought about by the new exhaust is phenominal (squeaks the tyres into second gear) as well the top end increase has proven much better as well. The exhaust note is to die for ! deep and growly with serious intent.
    Cost for the exhaust ... wait for it....
    a whopping $420 dollars. System starts from first original pipe after headers (original equipment) then is 2" to a walker hot-dog resonator then custom bent around chassis (pig of a job) into a 2.5" walker ultraflow muffler. Finished with a nice stainless 2.5" tip it looks great.

The Megane wheels are 15" and suit the car perfectly.

The 25 goes into the exhaust shop again next week for some suspension play. Although the car handles well in standard guise, we want to find that balance between aesthetics and handling. At the same time we will be fabricating a cold air intake that should, fingers crossed, give a higher intake flow capacity than exists with the factory piece.

I should take some photos and post them soon.

regards
    James

Howdy

I will be keen to see how you go with the suspension. Keep us informed with the info - it is very refreshing to hear.

Oh, how much was the gearbox transplant?

Regards

Luke
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

Tadpole
    All up the Gearbox transplant operation capped at $1400.00
    inclusive of fluids, new clutch etc

Cheers

1000+ Posts
    James,

Stickers are in the post.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

James,

I remember i tried to run my Fuego with a hot dog-resonator and i bought a stainless steel 3'' high flow muffler (Hi-Tech) and fitted it at the end myself. But even though this combination sounded wicked (Fuego started sounding like a rotary!!!) it was just a tad to loud on the freeway and i wouldve ended up having to go for an EPA test somewhere along the line... so i replaced the hot dog with an intermediate muffler which quitened it down.

How loud is your car? Is it legal? Here in Victoria i think the limit for pre-cat (86-87) cars is about 94 db. Isnt it a bit too loud when doing 100 kph?

Cheers

Thread Information