Oil Filter
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Oil Filter

Oil Filter

Everyone knows on here i love telling all about my 19. I recently changed my oil and fuel filter which was good fun. However when i looked at the new oil filter it was a lot shorter than the one that was on it. When i finally got it off the engine which was quite hard i noticed it had saab written all over it and it was from the 900 series saabs from the late eighties. It had the same thread as my new one that i fitted in minutes.
    Just interesting, the previous owner must have taken her somewhere shonky and they fitted the closest thing to it...I have also replaced my distributor cap as it died while i was driving along the freeway back to the east...Very expensive piece of valeo equipment....

Advertisement

Nah the thing is for example with Ryco oil filters, they make the one filter for a number of cars. When the filter is in the box, they specify the catalogue number and the range of cars they fit like Renault, Saab, Volvo, Lada etc. The details of model and year then is either in a catalogue or at the back of the box

It dosent matter wether the filter is shorter or longer. What really does matter ofcourse is thread diameter and the round seal. These do have to match. For my car theres one thread diameter for early Fuego's and another for later ones. (Why? I guess it gives Engineers something to do..... clown

renaulturbo:

For my car theres one thread diameter for early Fuego's and another for later ones. (Why? I guess it gives Engineers something to do..... clown
    The early Renault's have an imperial thread size, the later ones have a metric thread size.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

<a href="http://www.purflux.com" target="_blank">www.purflux.com</a>

- an interesting site, you can cross reference by filter, car etc. etc.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole
    Hello All!

Just wonder what are the prices for engine oils/filters in Au?
    In California at Kmart Castrol 10W40 goes for $15.80 a case(12 quarts/ about 11.35 L)
    Oil filters by Castrol $1.99-2.48 ea.
    The filters are nice size,dia.92mm,hights 100mm) with spring loaded antidrain valve.
    Gearbox oil by Castrol 80W90 $3.20 a quart .
    Regards,
    Al.

Hi Albert,

Prices here are much the same, I think. You can get 5 litres (approx 1.3 US gallons) of Valvoline XLD Gold (20W50) for US$8.00. Also, filters for anywhere from US$2-5, depending on the make.

Many French cars getting around in California?

Skippy.

Tadpole
    Hello All,
    Thanks for prices on oils/filters in Au.
    Few months ago I was in Europe and the prices for oils are specially high,about 8 Euro per
    1 litre container.(Total/Elf)
    To answer your qwestion how many French cars are in CA is simple only few.
    In my town about 80k people's one can only see 1 or 2 Peugeots 505 , maybe 2 Allieance
    (R9) and my Fuego. That is all. The State is dominated by Japs cars.
    Regards,
    Al.

Thread Information