R12 rear brakes
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R12 rear brakes

1000+ Posts

R12 rear brakes

Hi,

Just a quickie - I noticed my back wheel cylinders are leaking slightly (has come out of the dust seal yet, so no real hurry).

Anyway, the rear cylinder cups for the pistons are 7/8" (PBR). They are fractions of a millimetre off the exact metric size (from memory 20.6mm). Anyone know if this is OK? I'm pretty sure I got them from Caravelle a while back as the proper parts, but didn't look to closely thru the bag. (ahhhh..another job)

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

bob
    1000+ Posts
    Stuey,

Bloody drum brakes. In my experience, the mongrels leak if they're left alone unused for a bit too long. I gave up a while back on putting those dinky little seals back into these animals. I rekon its easier in the long run to just put in a complete new cylinder assembly - particularly if they are iron. The same comments go for master cylinders.

Before you put em in, pull them to bits and use a bit of rubber grease.

Regards
    Bob

1000+ Posts
    Hi Bob,

Thanks. Actually, I normally do use new cylinders, but I put these cylinders in (new) myself a while back, and as I change the fluid yearly, I'm pretty sure they'll be corrosion free. Yeah, I've got a big tube of rubber grease..

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information