Renault Scenic: Is it any good?
  • Register
  • Help

Renault Scenic: Is it any good?

Anyone out there have an opinion on the Renault Scenic? Its a great design, very practical, but is it well put together?

Advertisement
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

To me it seems great for a young family, as the rear seats are quite small and lacking in headroom for adults. It may have 18 storage compartments, but all seemed quite small to me and not really willing to accept stuff like large street directories. As for long term build quality, it is French, and it is a Renault, so problems are likely to be expected, especially if the Wheels road test Megane cabrio is anything to go by. But I thought that the feel and fit of the plastics within the car was not too bad, but I have heard stories of various rattles and sizzles in RS Clios. Hopefully Renaults benchmarking project of comparing the cars to Mercedes will lead to further quality improvements in the future.

Also it was good to see in the Wheels road test of the Scenic RX4 that someone else noticed the rear door opens the wrong way for RHD countries, even the old R4 van has the rear load door side hinged appropriately depending on whether it was sold in a RH or LHD country!

Simon

1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

To me the Scenic would have to be the most practical car for the money and the one to buy for a family, the build quality is definatly up on previous models, I was a little disapointed with its performance, it goes ok, but I drove a 2 litre 16V 2WD version and although I critisize our MI16 for having poor performance its a lot better than the Scenic. I tell you what, don't try and trade anything in, I don't know about other dealers but Mentone Renault, The Scenic with a few extras was just over the $30,000 mark, so next question, whats our trade in worth, an immaculate series one MI16, leather, roof, fully optioned, they offered us $2500, believe it, $2500, my wife looked at him and said GOODBYE and walked straight out.
    We went up the road to the Peugeot dealer to look at 306's for the same money and I must admit I couldn't buy a 306 after driving a Scenic, the Pug dealer offered us $7000 trade in, what a difference, I guess the truths about in the middle somewhere.

David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

$2,500 for an Mi16, that's outrageous! My dad recently traded his 94 model series 2 Mi16 (which was not in great condition) and had done 150K and was out of rego. He got offers between $9500 and $12000 when trading it in for a (prepare yourself frogs ...) turbo diesel Toyota Prado.

$2'500??!!
    I was offered $10'000 for my 405 on a Corolla Levin (I was just tyre kicking). If you ever plan to sell the Mi16 for anywhere near that, do tell!
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Yeah, you wish I'd sell it for $2500, The Pug dealer said he had just sold an identical car the week before for $13000, had alot less km than ours, thats why he offered $7000, If it was on the market, $10,000 is about what I'd ask but it aint so don't ask. I was just testing the Renault dealer to see how keen they were to do a deal. I've got to say that I've never seen a busier dealership in my life, there were people everywhere, we had to wait 30 to 40 minutes to speak to a sales man, the 2 demo cars ( a Scenic 2WD and 4WD) never got swithed off, as soon as one group of poeple got out another got in, the salesman told me in 2 months of sales they were waiting on there third batch of 30 cars, he said they can't supply enough cars and the amount of people there I'd believe him, I was watching the 2 salesmen while I was waiting nd these guys were talking to 3 to 4 groups of people at any one time, I've never seen a dealership that busy. When we went to the Pug dealer, thew place was empty, one salesman on duty almost looked glad to have someone to talk to, seemed to me Renault don't need to do any deals.
    Seeya's
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    One of my tests to see if a dealer 'cares' is to request a brochure to be mailed out. Simple, you might say. I requested one for a Golf once - didn't arrive - no sale for them. My missus asked for a Scenic brochure about 3 weeks ago after phoning for prices (it's an ideal car for us - two kids aged 2 & 4) our friendly Nissan dealer didn't bother. If they can't even be bothered, why should we? Car dealers must be the worst for customer service in any industry...

My whinge for the day...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I can imagine that after years of selling whitegoods on wheels such as the Pulsar your average Nissan dealer probably gave up being interested in cars a long time ago ...

1000+ Posts
    Paul, hope you realise you've just insulted my Westinghouse...

Cheers,

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole
    My local Renault dealer in Sydney's eastern suburbs quoted $33400 for an auto 2litre Dynamic on the road. I drove it and thought it fine but the Holden Zafira was rather better (faster and roomier) for another $2000. Quality is unknown and British surveys eg JD Power and owner comments in the July 2001 edition of What Car do not rate Renault highly.

Here's one in the Trading Post.

Phone: 02-66528733
    Make: Renault
    Model: Scenic
    Year: 2001
    Price: $36,200
    Odometer: 457
    Car Type: Prestige Car
    Colour: graphite
    Transmission: man
    Comments: demonstrator
    Features: power steering
    power windows
    air conditioning
    unleaded
    fuel injected
    ABS
    central locking

Grab a bargain. Maybe this one may talk a deal

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Does anyone know (or have an opinion) of how the RX4 compares to the standard Scenic?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Today I gave a Scenic RX4 a test drive and here are the pros and cons I have:

Pros:
    -Very clever design - very good use of space.
    -Feature packed (only options being Metallic paint and 'Luxury Pack' which includes leather seats, sunroof and roof racks)
    -Handing and ride. Firm but not harsh.
    -Not a performance car but enough power to convey a family and luggage.

Cons:
    -Very weird driving position. There is almost a bus-like rake with the steering angle and the pedals are offset to the right and positioned almost parallel to the floor.
    -Ergonomics. The gear shift and console controls is placed too far forward (I had to lean forward to shift gears).
    -Quality. The test car I drove was decent but still has a way to go before matching the Japanese or the Germans (Although better than the Peugeot 206 or 306 - sorry Dave!). Long term durability is another issue.
    -Servicing. My experience with Nissan servicing is pretty bad. Avoid Nissan dealer servicing!

I only drove the car for 20 minutes so by no means am I an expert. But I hope this helps a bit.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Thread Information