Renault 30 in Australia?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Renault 30 in Australia?

Were any Renault 30's (Renault 20 body with V6 from Peugeot 604) ever imported into Australia?
    If not has anyone done the conversion??

Advertisement

This car the Renault 30 never came into Australia, only the Renault 20. There is a guy in Sydney on the northern beaches that knows about renault 20's.

There is at least one cream coloured R30 roaming the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.....I haven't seen this creature for a while though....

I'm pretty sure it was looked after by "Alpine Affaire" (sticker on the back)
    If you're desperately keen for info you could give them a call (03) 9879 1961

[ 13 January 2002: Message edited by: DTwo ]</p>
    ________
    The Peak Towers Condo
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 03:45 AM.

There were six 30's imported to Australia by Renault Australia in 1976/77 for evaluation purposes. It was decided to bring in the Pug 604 instead, cost being one issue, another one possibly being that the Pug line was considered to be the prestige end of the Renault range.

At least four of them have been privately imported, there was one in the Canberra Renault club that was the ex-French Embassy car, a very early 30. That car subsequently had an engine fire and is now in Victoria keeping another silver private import 30 company. As the previous correspondent mentioned, perhaps Alpine Affaire would be a good place to start your search.

There are a number of differences between the front end of a 30 and 20, so it may not be as simple as just dropping in an ex-Pug/Volvo V6, but it would be an interesting project. Just a warning as I have been critisized before, I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it isn't a bolt in job!

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I stand corrected about the renault 30. I was told they never came into australia. Just shows how much some people know.......

I quite like the Renault 20/30. I think they are great cars. Its a pity there isnt more about.

Tadpole
    Thanx to all about the info on the Renault 30. I have owned a 79 20TS 5 speed for the last 2 years. It's a great car and I love it. It has done 240,000 kms and is going strong. As far as I can tell I am its 3rd owner. It is my first Renault although I did get the chance to drive its predecessor the 16 some years ago, which I thought was great. My mechanic first told me of the V6 possibility. I must ask him what is involved (and how much????).

At least four of them have been privately imported, there was one in the Canberra Renault club that was the ex-French Embassy car, a very early 30. That car subsequently had an engine fire and is now in Victoria keeping another silver private import 30 company.

Simon[/QB][/QUOTE]

I know of a bronze R30 that was in Canberra, moved to Dubbo area with its canberran owner and was for sale a few years ago. It was fairly immaculate. This may be the car that Simon is talking about in Vic now.

There's also a rough one in Canberra still. Its green and in average condition but still geting around. I know the owner.

Also seen a few sets of R30 type alloys on 20's around town here recently. They are getting rare though.
    Now - Who wants my Fuego on the for sale section - take it away!

ipb

[quote]Originally posted by Raffaele:
    <strong>Were any Renault 30's (Renault 20 body with V6 from Peugeot 604) ever imported into Australia?
    If not has anyone done the conversion??</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know of one R20 in Perth with a V6 fitted - seems a successful conversion. I think there may be another or even an imported R30.

The 2 litre 4 is SUCH a good engine that I'm not sure I'd bother to go to the trouble.......

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Theoretically it shouldn't be a hard transplant, but in addition to the motor you would need a 30 transmission that could take the extra torque, either a 369 or UN type box fitted to a V6. There used to be a reasonable trade in these with the offroad buggy set, not too sure on the availability and cost now though.

As John W says though, the 20 is a nicely balanced car in itself. The expense involved may make a V6 Laguna look quite reasonable in comparison!

The alloy 30 wheels were a Renault AUS/ LNC accessory, I've not seen any in ages though.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Check our website <a href="http://www.french-connection.com.au" target="_blank">www.french-connection.com.au</a> that cream series two R30 that someone mentioned is on it, its the rolled over mess that we did a full restoration on, it's booked in next week for a service so I know that car very well. The silver series one down here we had to get all the bugs out of that too, what a mess that was, everyone had a go at fixing it and it was finally towed to us where we had to sort it out. We have a brown series two that come in from time to time and I've been offered a series one automatic in Tasy that is apparently very rusty. So R30's are around and its faily easy to put a V6 into a 20 but finding the gearbox would be the problem. Honestly, I've driven lots of 20's and 30's and the 20 is an excellent car but the 30 is fantastic, the power of the V6 (especially the injected versions) is incredible and the ride and handling would certainly put a lot of more expensive so called luxury cars to shame, like I said the 20 is a great car, the 30 is an excellent car.
    Seeyas
    David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Hi All,

The green 1975 R30 that lives in Canberra, actully works, after the owner bought some of the V6 engine parts from my burnt our R25 V6 (SOB!).

It is a 5 speed manual, and sound great.

Regards

LukeCass
    Cheers - Luke

1990 Renault 25 V6 Baccara - Gunmetal Grey
    1974 Renault 17TS (1317) - Silver

One guy who has one, well even maybe a second R30, he's got a few Reanult now is
    Robbie Mekenkemp
    Call him on
    Mobile: 0417 363 665
    He knows quite a lot about those cars, R20's and R30's..........

I love the Renault 20 the more I look at them. Just like I love the 18. They were a fantastic car for the time period.

Id love to go for a ride in one.

old topic I know, but I distinctly remember a 'blue' R30 for sale at 'Hazel Motors' Parramatta back in about 1984/5.

My dad had a R20 at the time...

Damien

cheers!
    '85 Fuego

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    I once saw a blue R30 not far from where I live (Mount Evelyn). Looked to be in good nick. I also saw one for sale in the Trading Post, a 5 speed, for $800 I think.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Rafaelle,
    As has been mentioned here, the R20 is a great car. For the point of arguement, I'd never bother changing the 4cyl for the V6, unless the 4 was STUFFED mallet . It is a very good all round car with the 4cyl with argueably(spelling??) better ride and probably economy than a lot of later "luxury" cars. All the R20's Ive owned (3 x 1982 5speeds) have had excellent performance.

Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

The burnt dark blue R30 that is now in Robbie's collection belonged to John Adkins (founding president of ROCC). It moved to NSW North Coast about 13 years ago and then to VIC after fire. It is probably the ex-French embassy car that Simon mentions.
    1976 Renault 12 1.4 wagon (Bright yellow)
    1998 Peugeot 306 XSi (white) (past)
    2006 Peugeot 307 XS HDi Touring (dark grey) (past)
    2018 Peugeot 308 HD BlueHDi Touring (Platinum Grey) (current)
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Mixte bicycles
    1970s Peugeot folding bicycle
    1970s & 80s Peugeot Gents bicycles
    Other French bikes (Gitane and Motobecane)

The R30 gear box is very sort after for V8 powered Midengine cars and was also used in the Latter Lotus Esprit with a different bell housing.
    They are reportably good for 450 HP
    Graeme

Fellow Frogger!
    Re the R30

Renault Australia imported 2 x R30's for evaluation when they had their assembly and distribution plant in Heidelberg, Melbourne.

I had the distinct motoring pleasure of driving the first of the imported R30's (a manual) from Melbourne to the then Renault dealership in Euroa (Victoria). The dealership purchased the vehicle for a client, which required (from memory) a special registration process via Canberra.

I have to add that my abiding memory of that vehicle is "why are these vehicles not for sale in Australia?". The car was a supreme touring vehicle, with performance that was light years ahead of the P604, and many other European makes as well.

Renault Australia replaced that vehicle with a later series model (automatic), which gave equally impressive performance, handling, comfort etc. I am not sure what happened to the second vehicle, but I suspect it was sold after the assembly plant closed in 1981.

I have also driven the R16 TX (5 speed, larger motor, extra trim, 4 headlights etc). That version was simply an improvement on what was already a legendry vehicle in the R16TS.

Cheers,

Kim.

All this talk about Renault 20/30's is good, but i have a query that maybee one of you know how to get
    I have a mate who just brought a 83' R20 TS cheap and is restoring it. He is in desparate need of a R20 Workshop Manual or the like.

Can anyone here help?

G

Fellow Frogger!
    Hi Glen,

Yes, I have a workshop manual for the R20. However, as I wish to keep the manual, I would be happy to photocopy it at some time.

Providing your colleague is not in too much of a hurry, I will not be able to start that task until August some time. In the interim, you might locate another.

Cheers,

Kim.

Thanks very much,

I appreciate the offer i'm sure he is more than willing to pay for photocopying & freight.

My mate Frank did post a request a few weeks ago

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000674" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000674</a>

cheers!

G

I have a photocopy of an article by a british magazine from the '70s compating the Renault 30, Pug 604, Fiat 130, and I think there was another one as well. I will have to scan it and send it in for the archives.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

I have a book which is a colation of almost all of the articles, ads and long term tests for the 20 and 30 written at the time in english. I bought it from Drysdale Auto books in Brisbane ph 3229 5075. It is called Renualt 20 & 30 Roadtests Articles Adverts. Copiled by Trevor Alder and printed by Transport Source books. ISBN 85847 345 4. First published in 1996. I think you will also find them on the net.I use to own a green manual R20 with aircond and R30 mags, It hadn't even done 100 000 km. Wish I still had it.
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Tadpole

Hi all. Just found this thread on google, my father has that blue renault 30 manual in his shed. Also he has a green automatic sitting next to it. If anyone is interested in them please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information