engine pinging
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: engine pinging

engine pinging

Does anyone know how much and any places in sydney that check electronic timing on the renault 19?My car seems to be pinging according to my uncle who drove it today he said it may be poor fuel and to wash the tank out with some premium unleaded
    (which i have been using by the way)or otherwise the timing might need checking and possibly adjusting.Does anyone know who to go to and how much this normally costs? It shouldnt be too much as its all computerised. hopefully just the press of a button to set it back to factory standards hopefully. frown

Advertisement

My suggestion would be to take it to Colliers for a diagnosis. Being experienced in Renaults and Euro cars, they would know if the pinging is excessive. Many European cars of that period (1986 to 1995) were designed for 96 octane PULP (Euro standard ULP), and were modified to run on our 91 octane, so some pinging under load is normal.

Simon

danielsydney:
    Does anyone know how much and any places in sydney that check electronic timing on the renault 19?My car seems to be pinging according to my uncle who drove it today he said it may be poor fuel and to wash the tank out with some premium unleaded
    (which i have been using by the way)or otherwise the timing might need checking and possibly adjusting.Does anyone know who to go to and how much this normally costs? It shouldnt be too much as its all computerised. hopefully just the press of a button to set it back to factory standards hopefully.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

have u tried Optimax from Shell - I itis Octane 98. My Renault 25 pings on standard unleaded but runs like a dream on Optimax
    i also recommend
    colliers
    chris

Just another thought Daniel, are you still running that free flow air filter on the car? That could be causing the air flow sensor to detect more air, thereby causing the car to run differently. Best take it for a proper diagnosis.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Have actually just called colliers and he advised sounded like a bad batch of fuel but as it has been doing this for some time could be a sensor. (he did say the name, but i forgot). He said it would be nothing to do with the MAP sensor....

1000+ Posts
    Has the 19 got a knock sensor on the block?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

stuey thanks for the last message that is the sensor he mentioned actually. What does it do and how does it relate to all this...I love my 19 but the more i find out the more i realise it may cost me big money if i keep pwning it and have all these problems....

If you think your R19 is giving you problems, then don't buy an R18 or R20 auto.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!
    Is the pod filter breathing hot, underbonnet air?

no its fine actually. its not breathing hot air. whys that??

Daniel,

Please do yourself, and many people on this forum, a favour. Take the car for a proper diagnosis to an experienced mechanic who may be able to pop on an XR25 and diagnose the problem or from experience know what the problem is straight away.

You may even want to try another good batch of petrol to try see if that is the problem beforehand. The well meaning and knowledgeable info provided on this forum is no substitute for someone actually seeing the car and looking for problem and its causes. For instance, as your car only seems to be suffering from the problem since its little accident it could even be associated with that, say a disloged plug somewhere on a sensor. In that case not being able to be diagnosed by anyone not seeing the car.

When you have had it diagnosed let us know the outcome, cheap and cheerful or the whole gory story! This way it is much better than someone on this forum diagnosing a dud lambda sensor as the cause of your problem, it turning out not to be the cause, then you going off and telling other forums about the "so-called" experts not knowing what they are talking (typing?) about.

As for the hot under bonnet air with the high flow air cleaner, it could be drawing the less dense hot underbonnet air, or not enough air altogether compared with the original setup. Either way different causes and effects.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!
    The hotter the air, the more likely it is going to ping, it's why turbo cars have intercoolers etc etc.

Where's the pod located?

Simon's spot on Daniel, you need to get the thing looked at by someone who knows what he or she is doing...everything else is pretty much guess work and more than likely an added expense. You're better off knowing the facts up front than mucking about replacing bits and pieces in an effort to find the problem.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

1000+ Posts
    Daniel, the knock sensor is bolted firmly to the block and senses the particular frequency of vibration from 'pinging'. The ECU then retards the timing until the pinging just stops, then re-advances it until it just starts again, and so on in a continuous loop. This way, the timing is maintained at its most efficient (as far advanced as it can go without detonation) but no more. If the sensor's buggered, clearly the ECU can't make this adjustment.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ummm, I thought intercoolers were used to drop the temperature of the turbo using heat transfer (water) so the turbine can spin faster so turbo can run more boost.......

Fellow Frogger!
    ummmm, no renaultturbo.

An intercooler is like a radiator, only instead of cooling water, it cools the air prior to moving through to the plenum and so on.

You can get water-air intercoolers, or air-air.

But this is off topic, I suggest you do a search on google regarding the workings of intercoolers, seeing you have a turbo car (it might be useful).

As far as I'm aware, the turbos themselves are not water cooled. Sometimes they have an engine oil feed line for cooling benefits.

<small>[ 01 May 2002, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: ntrx ]</small>

1000+ Posts
    Alright squires?

Intercoolers? Cooler air is more dense which gives more power (really the same effect as compression by the turbo - helps to cram more air in) plus the physical effect of compression of the air causes it to heat up, so it counteracts this as well.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information