Renault 18
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault 18

Renault 18

If anyone is interested in the tradingpost this week in Sydney there was the following:
    "Renault 18 GTS T-bar auto, ideal first car, rego 7/2002, drives very well, $990, PJY-577. DL-8563. Raymond Dyson Auto HOMEBUSH 02-9746 9656"

I had a quick look at the car today and it is quite a good car actually. Little bit rough but neat inside and out.

Looked like needed a bit of tidy9ing up on the inside of the engine bay and the paint job might need to be touched up...

Advertisement

is it still for sale?

I think im going to put a deposit on it if it drives and passes all my tests. wink

Is the car a metallic colour? If so, no amount of touching up apart from an expensive full respray will ever make it look any good. The only non metallic colours 18's came in were white, red and beige. If its metallic and you still want it, haggle a much lower price. Also don't go by the dealers word that the trans has been repaired, get evidence, speak to the PO, as the car is unlikely to be covered by any warranty.

Sort of reminds me when I was buying my first 12 ages ago. Three dealers where I looked to see if the one that I was looking at was cheap, had been to Mildura in 12's for fishing trips and they were brilliant cars. Gave me visions of a UCD convention in Mildura where the subject was how to sell secondhand French cars!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Daniel, if you buy it, hop on to <a href="http://www.techbooks.com.au/," target="_blank">http://www.techbooks.com.au/,</a> search for "Renault 18" and buy the Haynes manual.

Then when things break, you'll be able to find help quicker and easier than hitting the forum...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

wink I was thinking that actually last night i might find a person in the club that has one or has had one.
    I cant wait to get her now actually.

I cant wait to get her now actually.[/QB]
    Don't ever forget, never rush to buy a car, especially the first one that you have seen! It's an 18 Auto, it's unlikely to sell quickly.

Besides just trawling the NSW Trading Post there are plenty of other more recent cars to choose from for not much more, well nearly another $2K, without haggling. But you are going from 1980 to late 80's. Check out the French Magna, ooops 1988 Renault 21 for $3495 (runs on cheap unleaded), or there are a couple of 25's to for high three's at dealers which no doubt could be haggled to low three's. At that price range, if you are going to have problems you might as well do it in style :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

It is just possible that you may "wear out your welcome" if you ask too many questions. Especially ones that could be answered easily with the Haynes book...

Honestly, I can't stress enough how valuable they are, especially for the "amateur" mechanic...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I have one for the 19 so will get one if i buy the 18 also. I love asking and getting everyones knowledge....thats the idea isnt it??

Yes, that's the idea, but only if you are asking the sorts of questions that aren't answered by a decent read of the manual and applying some logic.

ie. Brake fluid level / warning light

(You can work that one out without the Haynes book, the owners manual would explain it!)

Tadpole
    l have a R18 Haynes manual and its pretty good but l still find them hard at times to follow, but l'm not a machanic, do they teach you how to read them at trade school?

R 18's are getting cheaper by the day we have a white manuel in Melb. at the moment in VG condition for about $2000. by the way if you really want to have fun in an 18 put a 2 litre Fuego or R20 motor and gearbox in it, and turn it into a GTX well almost my next trick is to put the power steering motor in and play with trying to fit the power steering in. if anyone has done it let me know.

I have driven the R18 this morning and it seems to be very nice inside but at a closer look seems to be rough on the outside. For $900AUD i would also expect it to be. I have since decided not to go ahead & buy it. Yes, you will all be pleased. The gearbox sounded ok when it was being driven, but when i got it to a high speed seemed to have a lot of vibrations on the front wheels for some reason.
    I have no idea what this could have been. The car itself had a few minor dents which you could see. The paint was totally not metalic. It looked like dull, with various bits of undercoat actually. The engine itself looked very tidy but looked aged as you would expect. The underbody seemed to be ok just dirty. Could not see any rust on it all. But the heavy vibrations were very worrying. The power windows were in very good condition, not slow at all. Ill stick to the 19 and continue concentrating on her....

Vibrations could be wheel balance, worn driveshafts, worn suspension bushes or all of the above. But now you have driven and looked at one you know what to look for on the next one!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

wink Your right simon. I will check it out if i want another one in the future. For the meantime ill let that one go the Renault graveyard in the sky. Ill start pumping some serious cash into the 19 now that im only going to have one car for the moment..... :p

Good call Daniel....
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Thread Information