Renault 19 Brake Rotors
  • Register
  • Help

Renault 19 Brake Rotors

My uncle has just replaced the water pump on my(f3n) Renault 19, he also replaced the timing belt for me also. Surprisingly for a guy who works on mainly japanese cars he said it was surprisingly simple.
    He did tell me however that my front brake rotors need looking at in the near future. Can anyone explain what he was on about? Dows anyone know the cost involved in all this? The car is no longer overheating and leaking so I am slowly moving forward with my 19 finally.

Advertisement

Front brake rotors = front brake discs, they must be thin.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts
    Daniel, the discs have a minimum thickness which they eventually wear down to. But from a quick look (rather than measuring) which is probably what your uncle did, discs usually look shot by either having a grooved surface, or a surface that isn't flat (eg. concave). Sometimes the disc isn't worn below the minimum, but to have them turned so the surface is flat would bring them below tolerance. Thin discs don't have the same heat capacity as original and are more prone to warping. Plus, the caliper pistons may overextend out of their bores in extreme cases once the pads are worn right down.

They are usually pretty easy to replace.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Does anyone know what the cost is in replacing them, where i go to get them for my car in sydney, and the cost involved in all this?

1000+ Posts
    Hey Daniel,

Looks like you might have to do the usual phone round. Caravelle (Melb) are always good value and totally trustworthy and efficient in my 8 years experience of using them for mail ordering. Don't know their email offhand, but their phone no. is (03) 98909061. If you order before 10 you usually get it next day.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information