Renault Clio 3 RS Official Photos - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    1000+ Posts

hmmm those graphs dont look too nice with the huge dropoffs after 6k or so!

I hope they havent sacrificed any drivability to get some paper figures
    (i'm guessing they havent)

Advertisement

Administrator

Default power curves

The Old Clio Sport Power Curve

The New Clio Sport Power curve

Allowing for the fact that scales are incrementally different the new sport is significantly superior in torque delivery characteristics.

The new engine holds it's torque band and is still producing 180Nm at 7000rpm, the old engine had dropped off to about 170Nm by that stage...

The new one may drop away a fraction earlier but it's pumping 130kw when it drops off the torque curve with another 15 kw to go until redline.

The old engine started to fall away in power at 6500rpm, the new one holds it to 7250rpm (NOTE: the new engine produces the old engines peak 132kw 300rpm lower in the rev range - it just keeps breathing better than the old one)

Make no mistake, with 90% of peak torque available between 3000rpm and 7000rpm it'll be a ripper of an engine. I just hope the extra lard doesn't dilute it...
    Last edited by mistareno; 1st March 2006 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    hmmm those graphs dont look too nice with the huge dropoffs after 6k or so!

I hope they havent sacrificed any drivability to get some paper figures
    (i'm guessing they havent)
    Well one of the graphs represents the existing RS Clio, so I guess if the dropoff was tragic, we would have heard about it!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!

that torque curve is certainly an improvement, fatter and alot more of it!

Just found some higher res pics

http://www.netcarshow.com/renault/2006-clio_sport/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Clio 3 RS Official Photos-2006_renault_clio_sport_800x600_0a.jpg  
    Last edited by leithant; 1st March 2006 at 06:54 PM.

1000+ Posts

hmmm looks like i read them backwards :|

yeah i found on the track the MKII ran out of puff at 6.5k on the straight...

should be good to have a drive in!

Power to weight ratio's
    (Kilowatt:Tonne)

MK I = 119.8 (1035/124)
    MK II = 120.1 (1090/131)
    MK III = 116.9 (1240/145)

Looking at the figures the MKIII has taken a step backwards because of its weight, ideally they need to chuck the 197 engine into a MKII, which would make it lethal.

There is montergo kit for MKII which consisted of a more aggresive cam, ecu remap and exhaust bringing the MKII to 200HP. I wonder if Renault has adopted this concept like they did on the devil exhaust upgrade for the MKII giving it the extra 8hp from the MKI.
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    Power to weight ratio's
    (Kilowatt:Tonne)

MK I = 119.8 (1035/124)
    MK II = 120.1 (1090/131)
    MK III = 116.9 (1240/145)

Looking at the figures the MKIII has taken a step backwards because of its weight, ideally they need to chuck the 197 engine into a MKII, which would make it lethal.

There is montergo kit for MKII which consisted of a more aggresive cam, ecu remap and exhaust bringing the MKII to 200HP. I wonder if Renault has adopted this concept like they did on the devil exhaust upgrade for the MKII giving it the extra 8hp from the MKI.
    Yes I was thinking that myself. I wonder how long it will take for someone to slot the new engine in a MkII Clio? Not long I would think, although you would have to use the 5 speed gearbox.

Hmm, I'm moving to Switzerland, I wonder if my wife would let me get another RS Clio...
    '02 Renaultsport Clio
    '69 MGB Mk II (Group S race car)

Clio Cup version perhaps?
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by adamsclio
    I wonder how long it will take for someone to slot the new engine in a MkII Clio?
    Has anybody dropped a RSM 225 donk into an RSC? That would probably indicate the level of dissatisfaction with the power of a 172/182. Or an indicator of how much they value their warranty! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    It's getting fat though.

that's almost a 20% increase in weight for a 9% increase in power. mmmmm

- xTc -
    I know the feeling. Happens to all of us as we get older.
    1970 R12, stupidly sold in 1983
    1976 504, died 1994 to my disgrace
    Various cheap nasty fridges on wheels I'm not going to confess to and are long gone anyway
    2002 Clio 1.6
    2005 Scenic II

Quote Originally Posted by crosspug
    11.5:1 compression ratio......... now that IS impressive

Jono
    Is it 11.5 compression!? I thought they were a turbo motor..?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    Is it 11.5 compression!? I thought they were a turbo motor..?
    No, it is N/A. You may be thinking that it was going to be fitted with a detuned 225 motor.

Geeze that looks a lot liike a Nii$$an Tiida - TFIC
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    No, it is N/A. You may be thinking that it was going to be fitted with a detuned 225 motor.
    Oh ok, I thought I'd read something earlier that it was going to have a turbo motor..or maybe I got it confused with the upcoming 207 gti.

- 306 gti6

Some key points from EVO that came out yesterday.

• 194bhp (197PS)
    • Is 10mm longer, front and rear track widened by 48mm and 10mm respectively
    • Front suspension is a double axis, same as RSM front end - seperates steering axis from dampers to reduce torque steer
    • Front subframe is the same as the RSM
    • Rear runs a 30mm anti roll bar, thicker stub axles, stiffer suspension mounts and polyurethane bump stops
    • Inlet tracts tuned to provide a volumetric efficiency above 100%
    • Continuously variable timing
    • Larger valves with higher lift on the inlet cam
    • 11.5: 1 compression ratio!
    • 6 speed gearbox
    • Additional 130kgs over old model
    • 0-100 in 6.9s
    • New front guards have extrractor vents to cool engine
    • Rear diffuser adds 40kg of downforce
    • 312mm cross drilled eight-pot calipers!!! 300mm rears
    • [email protected] alloys running 215/45 Continental ContiSport3s (first car I've seen these on)
    • Continues to be built in Dieppe
    • Orders taken from March

OK, that's pretty much the entire article! The new Civic Type R does not add anything to it's current 197bhp, but increases it's midrange torque. Gee, Renault have really stepped up here!

Where do I queue?? Talk about a proper hot hatch! Woot!
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Most 'add-on' diffusers on road cars are there purely as cosmetic items. Often the angle of the diffuser is so large that the flow will seperate about half-way through the diffuser, and any increase in area near the rear of the car is reduced.

Not sure about the Clio diffuser though. If they have designed it properly, from the ground up... it could actually work.

I'm more interested in the outlet vents. A big bugbear of mine is the stupid ways in which modern cars are designed from both a cooling and internal ventilation viewpoint.

I'm glad Renault decided to be a little bit different and to insert some air outlets at points of low static pressure along the body in order to increase the pressure drop across the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Gee, Renault have really stepped up here!
    Was there ever any doubt ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Was there ever any doubt ;-)
    It’ll be interesting when it hits the roads, as it looks like they have lowered the overall gearing to offset the weight gain. Top speed drops from 222 to 215km/h, and the speed in 6th is 30.48km/h compared with 33.xx (from fuzzy memory) of the Clio 182.

It should be a nice set of close ratios!

Attached file has some interesting development info...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Clio 3 RS Official Photos-img002.jpg  
    Last edited by Europa; 3rd March 2006 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124

Where do I queue?? Talk about a proper hot hatch! Woot!
    I agree..this one sounds like the real deal. The extra weight may not be perfect but if it's designed properly I can't see why it won't work. The gti6 is heavy'ish at 1215 kg but it's as lithe and quick as anything out these days. So even if the new rcs is 1240 kg, with more power and better delivery of that power, as well as a 6-speed which will make a big difference, I'm betting it will be a cracker of a hatch. 11.5 compression ratio..just imagine that throttle response!

- 306 gti6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    It’ll be interesting when it hits the roads, as it looks like they have lowered the overall gearing to offset the weight gain. Top speed drops from 222 to 215km/h, and the speed in 6th is 30.48km/h compared with 33.xx (from fuzzy memory) of the Clio 182.

It should be a nice set of close ratios!
    I think Renault have 'played the numbers game' so to speak.

I think they have either bumped up the 1st and 2nd gear ratios or increased the rev limit, because it reaches 63mph in second gear which probably saves .3 of a second on the sprint to 60mph (the 182 need a change to third from memory) and then stacked the rest of the ratios quite closely to still give it good acceleration throughout the rest of the range and hide the extra weight.

With the better torque and power curve, they could probably get away with the taller first and second gear ratios...

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    I agree..this one sounds like the real deal. The extra weight may not be perfect but if it's designed properly I can't see why it won't work. The gti6 is heavy'ish at 1215 kg but it's as lithe and quick as anything out these days. So even if the new rcs is 1240 kg, with more power and better delivery of that power, as well as a 6-speed which will make a big difference, I'm betting it will be a cracker of a hatch. 11.5 compression ratio..just imagine that throttle response!
    PLUS you get 5 star safety!

EVO says the gearing has been shortened, not sure if that is just the initial gears and the top ones are higher... Simon, do you have the gear ratios and final ratio?

I'll try and find some time to scan the EVO article and post it up for you guys.
    Last edited by GTI124; 3rd March 2006 at 07:53 PM.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Attached file has some interesting development info...
    $41-42k on road isnt exactly cheap, its up there with the golf GTi & ST 225. As for the development, Id be waiting for the CUP edition, if they intend on striping out cabin weight.....
    04' GTi 180

The article I scanned was from the UK, so the prices probably don't literally translate. In Australia, we pay less for a RS Clio than the French!

Having said that, I'm sure the price will be more than the existing model.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information