jo's excellent adventure
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 jo's excellent adventure

For the last few days,I've been up north of sydney, and have discovered some absolutely beautiful places.
    1st stop on the mini tour was the linga longa inn, in Gandi,a bar where you would be expected to say hello to everyone in the pub,all five of them!
    My next stop was a friends farm,where it rained non stop.They loved me because I took credit for the rain as I'd just put my semi slick tyres back on.Had to do a river crossing in the fuego,and probably took it a bit fast,as you can see in the photo.ended up with about 5 litres of water in the car!!(note to self,shut windows or slow down)After taking a wrong turn when leaving, I ended up at moonan flat, with one of the most un-touched pubs I've ever come across.I felt like I was in the 1920's, apart from the two council workers ,hard at it with a scuey in each hand ,in their workcover aproved fluro shirts!
    After a burgur and a midi of light beer, the fun realy started as the roads are well shaped,with good cambers etc, but have the worst surfaces.If you hit the shoulder,goodbye Irine, as the landscape is quite steep.The best bit about it is it caries a speed limit of 100, and there were times that the fuego with its yoki advan 008's was on the edge of traction at 80km/h.There is nothing quite like being on a mountain road that you dont know,doing 100km'h and aproaching a corner with a speed advisory sign of 35K.Slow down to 55,(as it was sunny and warm), change to secong gear,and hold on. You just dont get that sort of thing in sydney,To begin with the roads are alot wider, and faster, and the speed limits are heaps lower.I now know where to go to have extreme driving fun in a fuego.Crap surface,sharp corners and high speed limit,and NO and mean NO traffic.Passed one tractor doing 15km/h.
    Jo

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jo's excellent adventure-lingalonga-inn.jpg   jo's excellent adventure-water.jpg   jo's excellent adventure-pub-moonaflats.jpg   jo's excellent adventure-fun-road.jpg  

1000+ Posts

sounds niiice!

Next time throw us an invite
    (when the car is rego'd)

Have you done Wauchope-Walcha?
    best road in the state... put it on the to do list!

PS. its "Gundy" not "Gundi", couldnt find it in whereis

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    sounds niiice!

(when the car is rego'd)

Whoops.spelling is not my strength.sorry.I have not ventured far from home for the sake of pure driving, and am usually content with a 40 min blast around Akuna Bay,which is just on my doorstep as I live at MonaVale.
    No ,I haven't driven that road. from wauchope.When you get your beast rego'd, or any other time for that matter I'd love to do some fun drives,staying at a cheap motel/pub.Maybe us sydney folk should get our buts into gear and organise some drives around that area.You might get the impression that pubs feature heavily on my agenda, but I hardly drink, and am more interested in the historical aspect then the beer!I am usually working when everyone else is playing and vice-versa,so for me,its sometimes hard to find the time to be social and participate in group activities.Maybe my personality doesn't help,either
    I should be making an apearence this sunday at Lanecove,so if you are there,maybe we can talk more about it then.
    regards,Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    There is nothing quite like being on a mountain road that you dont know,doing 100km'h and aproaching a corner with a speed advisory sign of 35K.Slow down to 55,(as it was sunny and warm), change to secong gear,and hold on.
    The recommended speeds are probably different in NSW, but in the R17TS I used to always travel at double the recommendation. In sunny and warm weather only of course!
    Last edited by Europa; 19th January 2006 at 06:02 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    The recommended speeds are probably different in NSW, but in the R17TS I used to always travel at double the recommendation. In sunny and warm weather only of course!
    I dont have the faith in the RTA getting it right every time, so I just at 20km/h and that usually leaves a bit of headroom.Plus the dog starts rolling around the car at 2x,and i feel realy guilty about that.I hate slamming on the breaks too for that reason.
    jo

1000+ Posts

lol... there's places like Mt Lindsay up on the border & thats big mans corners!

no signs, all of a sudden the corner will dissapear & the camber changes!

lets all take it easy

thats right, its all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    sounds niiice!

(when the car is rego'd)

I spoke to a bike riding friend last night who sometimes rides to the cape just for a cruise,if he knew of the road from Wauchope-Walcha?, and before I'd completed my first sylable, had stolen the words from my mouth and got a bit excited at the memory of that road.I will be planning that one soon
    Jo

Tadpole

the wauchope-walca run is the Oxley highway

i lived in wauchope (or no hope as some locals call it) for a while, did that road up to gingers creek a few times on my bike and car.

you can also go up to Comboyne(20-30mins from wauchope), it is a mountain road, did it in a few different cars it is a great road for a quick run.

usually at night time it is deserted, fell a lil bit like "Initial D".
    Last edited by AliG; 20th January 2006 at 12:12 PM.
    Venetian Green 406 ST 1996 Manual
    WTB: genuine Fog lights and 16in alloy wheels for the above

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    I spoke to a bike riding friend last night who sometimes rides to the cape just for a cruise,if he knew of the road from Wauchope-Walcha?, and before I'd completed my first sylable, had stolen the words from my mouth and got a bit excited at the memory of that road.I will be planning that one soon
    Jo
    Shhhhh.. keep it on the low down...

Thread Information