Sump Plug tool??
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Sump Plug tool??

Hello every one,

Tried to change oil but got stuck..can't find a suitable tool to remove the sump plug. ('02 Clio)

Is it 5/16" square drive?

What tool and where can I get the suitable tool? Doesn't seem to have any at my local hardware/auto-parts stores...

Thanks...

<small>[ 30 August 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: rc968 ]</small>

Advertisement

Looks like Louis' boys have started using one of Andre's boys bright ideas.
    It is in fact 8mm and NO you can't get a multi fit tool with one side 8mm (5/16") Don't ask me why; they're either 7mm or 9mm and of course you can grind them down & they'll work once or twicw but don't push your luck.

There's a few options; go to a tool shop & buy a length of 8mm key steel. It's about a foot long & you can bend the last inch at right angles & that will do.
    Another way is to get hold of a piece of tool steel as used in lathes about 70mm long & use a shifter on it.
    An old door handle shaft is 8mm (5/16") and is just the right size or go to Auper Cheap or similar & buy a 3/8" extension & just grind the end down to 5/16 (8mm) & use that with a ratchet.
    Got plenty of cjoices; the only one you don't seem to have is the luxury of walking into an Auto accessories shop & asking for one off the shelf. dance
    I can only imagine what a Renault/Citroen/Peugeot dealer would charge.... eek! cry mallet

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!
    One thing I've found since living in Europe is the abundance of sump plug adaptors. A perfect 8mm adaptor is now part of my tool set for the Clio and Twingo, all for about 3 euro or similar.

<small>[ 30 August 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

The first time I changed the oil in my gearbox, I had to open one of those little beauty's. Of the foot or so of Key steel I cut it into 10cm lengths. I twisted 45-90degrees 4 different ends of the steel (used a shifter to turn it).

With lots of WD40, tapping (with a hammer wink ) and the 5th end of steel I managed to get it undone. It only took me 4 hrs for one plug.

Would have hated to meet the Gorilla that did it up!! eek!

Tried the extension bar method, was way too soft just twisted like it was playdo.

Wasn't happy by the end of it. a_drink

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Is a 403 plug the same size?
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

The peugeot_ 504 has the same type of sump plug. The hole is 8mm square. I tried ringing around but none of the local tool shops had heard of such a thing .

In the end, after putting off changing the oil for several weeks thanks to this problem, I decided to try to make the tool myself. I found an old galvanized fencing bolt with a hexagonal head, from my trusty old collectioin of nuts and bolts. I then used an angle grinder to cut it off about 40 mm from the head. Then spent about an hour grinding end of the the shaft of the bold into an 8mm square shape. An old bolt is ideal for this purpose as they are usually made from some kind of hardenned steel. As a result though, the grinding process is slow snail . If you try this, don't forget to wear eye protection and a suitable dust/fume mask while doing the grinding.

When complete, just push the square end into the sump plug, with a little help from a mallet mallet if the plug has been mangled cry by previous attempts to undo it using srewdrivers, chisels, allen keys etc, then use a shifter spanner or socket on the hexagonal bolt head to unscrew it whip .

Grinding the bolt was a pain in the butt, but at least next time a I do an oil change, I'll have an easy run, provided I can remember where I put the said invention....
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

Fellow Frogger!
    Woohoo..no more grinding, grinding a big bolt down to size with the little Dremal is so so snail
    (Got myself a bolt yesterday arvo and started making my own tool...now I can try the other methods)

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ps. The sump plug washer (metal) has a plastic edge on the inner circle..first of this kind I have seen...

<small>[ 31 August 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: rc968 ]</small>

Fellow Frogger!
    Just bought another plug adaptor for my mum to take back to my dad in Oz. 3.12 euro.
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Craig maybe you should bring a few of these back for us, im sure they would go like hot cakes.... wink

The best one I ever made myself was ground down from a Mazda wheel bolt, which is a nice length and a 12 x 1.5 thread, so about the right starting size.

That's long gone, of course. For a long time I used one made out of a surplus cheap socket extension, but that twisted itself into oblivion a few months ago. Gone back to the ground down bolt... Pug bolts are perfect, I'd suggest the best one is the Allen-headed bolt from the differential mount of a 504 or 505, but if you don't have a long Allen key give this a miss.

504 front Caliper bolts, 10mm hex... they'll do nicely... make two or three so you can always find one. And they're not that hard to grind!

Just be careful to get them nice and square, and put a tiny chamfer on the corners.

I used a chuck key from a lathe, it's 8mm and has a handle etc, perfect. Don't know if you can buy these seperately to a lathe or how much they would cost.

hmmm.....OR u could actually go to most automotive shops and ORDER a set of (i believe KINGCHROME)the
    SQUARE type (i think sizes 7,8,9,10)sump plug tool kits...i think you can only purchase the full kit and cost is about $28...but they r pretty good quality....just a thought...most shops dont stock them but r more than willing to order them for u if u leave a small deposit....for those in south east melbourne....i m in the mentone AUTOBARN on saturdays (some sundays)...i m new there (casual) but i m sure i d be able to offer a reasonable discount for the aussiefroggers out there....

cheers
    dino
    (please note...not trying to advertise...but my own experiance has shown how frustrating it can be to chase up the right tool for this job,..so just offering help to those who can not have the right tool made up)

An old 3/8 ratchet handle works well with a little grinding, i did this to remove sump plugs on Air compressors & industrial gearboxes, which i get called upon to service. cheers!
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Fellow Frogger!
    BTW what should be the correct/approximate torque for tightening the bolt??

Fellow Frogger!
    My Clio (91-98) Haynes manual says 15-25Nm or 11-18 lbf ft for the sump drain plug.

I guess it does depend on whether you are using the Renault copper washers or some other type too. With a sump in decent condition the copper washer/plug combo should seal well.

FWIW, the plug adaptor I bought has the following web address on it: <a href="http://www.lasertools.co.uk" target="_blank">Laser Tools</a> . Follow that and click on catalogue, servicing, then drain plug. The item I have is no 1578. No 3121 looks interesting too.

<small>[ 02 September 2003, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Fellow Frogger!
    15 - 25Nm, hmmm...interesting, this afternoon I pulled and turned, twisted and rounded-edge 3 tools (2 home made and 1 bought), and it still doesn't loosen...didn't want to go further without the proper tool, don't want to damage the plug further.

Due to lack of proper tools to make my own proper tool, I think buying a ready-made is the way to go for me...

the 1578 tool looks good, I also did some searching and found:
    <a href="http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/index_pro.asp?Group%5FID=260&Group%5Fname=Pipe+Plu g%2C+mm%2C+chrome" target="_blank">SnapOn</a> Item PMM408A seems the right one. It's rather pricy but a bit of further searching found that, like previously posted by dino, there should a number of cheaper sets available. As the female-square plugs seems to be used around the plumbing area, the right tools does exist. Can't find solid info on Australian web sites though. (No Kingchrome website??)

<small>[ 02 September 2003, 03:39 AM: Message edited by: rc968 ]</small>

Maybe if you spell it 'Kinchrome'?

I'd advise you to get another plug from somewhere and use it to replace the one with which you're having trouble.

If you have one on hand, you don't have to worry about butchering it further, and you can look after it yourself in future.

Of course, there are different plugs... some with and some without magnets.

Fellow Frogger!
    Silly me...it is 'Kinchrome'

I just got a nut welded to the plug.

Works wonders.
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Now that reminds me...

I think the Datsun sump plug fits, it's a normal hex headed bolt.

Someone remind me to check this some time... but I've got an idea that it's right.

Oh yes, there's a downside to welding a nut on the plugs, particularly sump plugs...

It becomes more prone to snagging in rough going.

Pugnut403:
    Is a 403 plug the same size?
    No, Pugnut 403.

The 403 needed a 10mm square key from memory. There were some Peugeot sump plug spanners doing the rounds at one stage that 10mm on one end and 8 mm on the other though.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

...and a 3/8" drive socket extension will get them undone nicely.

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar
    I had the same problem with my ren 19, what I did was buy a 12mm hardened steel bolt with a long gap in front of the thread, I then cut off the thread and ground the bolt into an 8mm square. All I have to do to use it is stick the hex head on the bolt in a socket, and whala! a perfect fitting and strong tool is made, it only cost me a total of $3:65, the bolt cost. I recomment this,
    Cheers, Dave
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Hi guys.....

I have a good alternative to the ratchet handle or anything else for that matter.
    I have a couple of nail punches here that I have had for years, they happen to be 8mm square at the "hitting" end, and they are dammed hard, will not twist or bend. I suggest to all, go to the local Bunnings/Mitre 10 or hardware store, and measure up a punch. You then have a sump plug and centre punch combination tool.. roll_lau
    Seriously though, just grab a good pair of vice grips and the punch.

Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information