Fuego Version 3.2
  • Register
  • Help
    Administrator

Default Fuego Front Suspension

As many would know, I am a never ending tinkerer and am about to try something rather different in the front of the Fuego.

I've always wondered exactly what the positives and negatives are of massive preload on a suspension system and Monday will provide the answer...

I am about to go from a massively preloaded 180 Lb/In (90Lb/In effective wheel rate) spring to a 'just' captive 350 Lb/In spring (175 Lb/In effective wheel rate).

I'd imagine that chassis balance will be up the proverbial creek, but I'm not all that interested in that aspect at this stage...

Does anyone know what advantages preload biased setups have? (as opposed to more conventional spring rate setups)

Advertisement
    Last edited by mistareno; 17th January 2006 at 06:57 PM.

To dumb that down a bit to my level, are you saying that you are putting very heavy duty springs in, but with less unsprung length,to equal the same ride height??
    I did something similar by accident a few years ago.nearly killed my organs, and did kill the car.cracked towers and cracked lower control arm mounts.Lots of fun between the bumps,though.
    Jo

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    To dumb that down a bit to my level, are you saying that you are putting very heavy duty springs in, but with less unsprung length,to equal the same ride height??
    I did something similar by accident a few years ago.nearly killed my organs, and did kill the car.cracked towers and cracked lower control arm mounts.Lots of fun between the bumps,though.
    Jo

Remember that I am using the R25 dampers which have alot more room for an 'unpreloaded' style spring...

The spring will actually be about 340Lb/In which is not super heavy when compared to many other cars of similar weight and suspension layout...

It will be properly shaped to evenly spread the load, but I doubt they'll be in there very long, as it is more an experiment. I think I'll end up trying something in between - maybe a slightly preloaded 280 Lb/in...

I'd hate to guess what spring rate would be required to keep it off the bump stops and still remain captiveusing a Fuego damper (bearing in mind the spring saddle on the damper is about 2 inches higher). It'd have to be close to 700Lb/Inch

I'll never know,as they were binned soon after they came off.You are probably about on the mark though.
    Jo

Thread Information