R12 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R12 questions

Tadpole

Default R12 questions

I was wondering what paint is used in on the yellow gordini's im pretty sure it isnt trak yellow as my 12 has a darker yellow than what i have see in pictures? Also options for more power? Are there any simply engine swaps for a 12 ive heard of a 15 or 17 engine?
    Cheers

Advertisement
    1974 Renault 12 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Keithturbo
    I was wondering what paint is used in on the yellow gordini's im pretty sure it isnt trak yellow as my 12 has a darker yellow than what i have see in pictures? Also options for more power? Are there any simply engine swaps for a 12 ive heard of a 15 or 17 engine?
    Cheers
    Hi. If you go looking you'll find a Gordini paint colour thread in the last couple of months. And you are right that it isn't Trak Yellow.

Regarding engine swaps, again if you do a search, there are threads. The old fix used to be to fit a 17 engine, and there are various gearbox - driveshaft options.

I suggest you start with a thorough search of threads already posted.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Default R12 Engine Swap

Back in the mists of time (1979) I, needing the 1289 engine for another project, dropped a R17 engine into my R12. Using the 17 bell housing, input shaft and clutch I kept the R12 gearbox. I used the R17 engine mounts which bolt straight into the 12, fitted a 17 clutch cable and made the appropriate changes to the radiator inlet and outlet pipes. This was a weekends work and completely transformed the R12 making it a competent tow car towing a Cabana pop top caravan right through the Centre (when the South Road was at its worst) and never missed a beat over 180,000 miles with this engine.

This is a simple and worthwhile conversion and there was no difficulty with the RTA or my insurance company.
    JYD

2003 VW Bora 4 Motion
    2004 VW Golf

Having just done a "go fast" 12, My advice would be to work up the 1289cc. The main prob with 1600cc 12's is the weight. The 1600 is substantially heavier and upsets the 12's balance (especially under braking). My 1289 is more than capable of dealing with 16/17 engined 12's and was a far simpler alternative. Feel free to ask more questions.
    Toby

Default Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Keithturbo
    Cheers
    You gotta do the brakes if upgrading, you need the ventilated rotors and calipers from a 17.

Toby,
    The weight of the iron blocked "sierra" motor is close enough in weight to the alloy blocked 807. The 807 I think weighed 85 Kg when I put it on the scales years ago. If there was 10 Kg in it I would be surprised. The 807 has more power and torque, a much better head design, and much more scope for improvements. I have built modded motors of both designs.
    The 12 motor gets a lot more improvement from a port job than the 17, because it so poor to start with.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Default Brake Upgrade

I would very much agree that the brake upgrade is important, I upgraded mine using the the 17 vented discs and calipers which I should have included in the work involved in the change over. If all is prepared the change over is simpler and quicker than giving the 1289 a work over. I would also recommend the brake upgrade even if simply working over the 1289. The 12 was never over endowed with brakes if driven hard.

I would also add that the 17 conversion is simple, a weekends work if all is prepared first, and makes the 12 a top gear car with from my experience only minimal increase in thirst even when pushed hard. Having been one to push a car I found virtually no difference in driving balance from the 1289 to the 17 engine. Any difference in weight is minimal. The only other minor hassle was the carburettor height to clear the bonnet and that was cured by removing the heating block from under the carbie which, by the way, made absolutely no difference to the running and starting of the car.

Having helped prepare a R12 with a very hot 1289 I can say that the 17 engined car was a more pleasant drive around town and a more practical car all round.

I will willingly admit that a well worked 1289 can be fun but is not particularly practical. It depends on the driver and what you want the car to do.
    JYD

2003 VW Bora 4 Motion
    2004 VW Golf

Fellow Frogger!

Default r12 engine

Just a quick observation if the 1289 was the better option why did regie go away from it for the 12 g?
    Cheers Peter

I never said it was the end to all your problems; just a simpler (in my opinion) way to get more go out of a 12. but everyone is entitled to their own opinion (something people on forums usually forget)......

I too was thinking about putting a 17 motor into one of my 12s. In terms of fitting a 17 five speed gearbox at the same time, I understand that floorpan modifications are required. Has anyone tried putting a five speed in and if so how much floorpan work is required and does this outweigh the benefits of the extra gear?
    I would also be curious as to what vic roads would require to make the engine swap legitimate as it is a non standard part for the car

cheers,
    Phin

R17TS five speeds are pretty rare, you'll probably end up with a R18 box (still, 5 gears better than 4)

I believe the "hump" in the floor would need to be extended further into the passenger compartment, and you might need to fiddle around with the rear gearbox mounts (R17TS had quite a different arrangement to the 4-speed TL) - you could probably adapt the 4 speed mounts to fit the 5 speed though
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Thread Information