Sporty models apart from RSC circa 95?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Sporty models apart from RSC circa 95?

Hey all, im a peugeot owner (306 s16). I know about Renaults over achieving hot hatch, the clio sport. But i was wondering if there were any other hatchs or models of Renaults, comparable to the 306 s16, from around the same era (95'ish)?

Advertisement
    S16

one renault i can think of circa 95-ish that would be considered sporty, is the renualt clio williams II. now that frikn car is an over achiever! many euro mags claimed it to be the best hot hatch ever made, and it was easy to see why!

pity we didnt get it in oz.

i think the phase 1 v6 Laguna, and the sexy s1 2.0 megane 2dr arrived around this time too.

in oz? the r19!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

hehe nice, i read somewhere on this site that not many people like the renaults from the 90's?
    S16

the 90s were pretty good for renault, i think. things like the F1, the r19 16v, clio williams, and laguna super tourers, are a few examples of this.

i think much of the discontent could stem from renaults oz' distributors' half arzed efforts which failed a few times, and a product line up that was half baked.

the weirdos in this section of the forum may want to elaborate, obviously after theyve taken their medication.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Go306
    hehe nice, i read somewhere on this site that not many people like the renaults from the 90's?
    It depends what you are into. In Australia only the luxo stuff (Laguna RXE & V6) or the boring stuff (19 TXE & RT 1.7 & 1.8 8 valve) was sold here in the 1990's, mainly because the Clio of that era wasn't engineered for RHD with A/C so Australia missed out on the exciting Renaults, like the Clio Williams 1/2/3 of the 90's.

Infact up until the RS Clio, arguably the last sporting Renault sold in Australia would have been the 17 Gordini in 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    the 90s were pretty good for renault, i think. things like the F1, the r19 16v, clio williams, and laguna super tourers, are a few examples of this.
    Exactly, as usual Renault in Australia failed to capitalise on their efforts, at a time when Honda made great inroads with their GP victories and involvement with their fairly basic range of vehicles.

i think much of the discontent could stem from renaults oz' distributors' half arzed efforts which failed a few times, and a product line up that was half baked.
    The reason the product lineup was half baked was in my opinion not because of the distributors, but because none of the potentially popular models had been engineered for RHD properly by Renault France, that is with A/C in mind (Australia being a microscopic market). Also at the time, the sporting versions were also engineered to run on 96/98 unleaded octane fuel which at the time was not widely available in the early 1990's. So the distributors were left with only a small range of vehicles to choose from.

the weirdos in this section of the forum may want to elaborate, obviously after theyve taken their medication.
    I'm sure they will!

The Sports Spider was a nice Renault from the 90's :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sporty models apart from RSC circa 95?-spider2.gif   Sporty models apart from RSC circa 95?-spider3.gif   Sporty models apart from RSC circa 95?-spider5.gif  
    Last edited by Europa; 15th January 2006 at 01:05 AM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    The Sports Spider was a nice Renault from the 90's :-)
    Oh yes, and that was even sold in Australia!

yeah awesome looking car, but the elise would rape it. i'd still have the spider though due to their uniqueness on oz roads.

thought the spider was only personally imported by the dutton group, and not on the official renault list?

incidently what was the rrp?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

yeah awesome looking car, but the elise would rape it. i'd still have the spider though due to their uniqueness on oz roads.

thought the spider was only personally imported by the dutton group, and not on the official renault list?

incidently what was the rrp?
    Yes, it was a Duttons import and compliance, but at least it can be bought and registered in AUS :-)

As for RRP, around $120K from memory, certainly only for the well heeled extrovert or dedicated Renault fan, as the Elise certainly could give it a good run for its money. Actually the RS Spider motor in an Elise would be another interesting combination.....

thanks simon, for the info

... and thats crazy money for a car that was selling for 26 thousand pounds!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Things got steadily better in the 1990's really, it was the 80's when things got pretty boring IMO
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Yes, it was a Duttons import and compliance, but at least it can be bought and registered in AUS
    Wow! I didn't know that! So how many were imported?
    I know of three in Oz, but I thought they were all privately imported, one of them has that wind deflector doova instead of a windsreen, are these road legal?
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    Wow! I didn't know that! So how many were imported?
    I know of three in Oz, but I thought they were all privately imported, one of them has that wind deflector doova instead of a windsreen, are these road legal?
    Last I know there was seven that were originally imported and sold through Duttons. The yellow deflector car was the LHD demo, so obviously wouldn't be able to be registered. The rest of them were windscreen cars and all complianced, so they were able to be registered.

This blue one has been around for a while now, perhaps they will haggle...

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/re...&pp=3&d=0&nv=1

Things got steadily better in the 1990's really, it was the 80's when things got pretty boring IMO
    I agree, things don't get much more boring than a Renault 9TC.

I agree, things don't get much more boring than a Renault 9TC.
    anyone say R19 8v auto?!
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Nah the 9 makes the 19 look positively interesting!

Does anyone know what the Megane 2.0 16v Coupe was like to drive - Im talking about the first Generation Megane here?

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

The yellow deflector car was the LHD demo, so obviously wouldn't be able to be registered.

This blue one has been around for a while now, perhaps they will haggle...
    The deflector car that I saw was RHD and silver in colour, I believe it was owned by the late Rene Rivkin.
    I've seen the blue one you mentioned, I'm still waiting on my lotto numbers to fall!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

the weirdos in this section of the forum may want to elaborate, obviously after theyve taken their medication.[/quote]

Hey that's unkind. The Doctor said Prozac would be helpfull.....

Jeffro

Fellow Frogger!

Probably forgotten the 5 turbo, turbo 2, 5GTT, 5 GTX 1.7, 11 turbo, etc
    2013 Grand Kangoo
    2011 Megane 3 RS
    2001 Clio Sport 172 (23/85)
    1997 Spider (No. 652)
    1988 5 GT Turbo Phase II
    1968 10

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Probably forgotten the 5 turbo, turbo 2, 5GTT, 5 GTX 1.7, 11 turbo, etc
    Yeh, but I hadn't forgotten the R18, R19 (esp. Phase I) and R21. And everytime I see a R11 I think "R9 with a hatch"

Obviously strapping a Turbo onto a basic model makes things a little more interesting, but it's hard to love the basic shape of a R9 or a R21 - nothing really "wrong" with them, but they were hardly inspiring!

Thread Information