RCS III to be slower then 172/182
  • Register
  • Help

Default RCS III to be slower then 172/182

After reading the issue of CAR the 1.4L RCIII was tested, weighed in at 1134kg.

Advertisement

The article went onto say that renault are trying to hurry the release of the RCS III to come inline with the release of the polo GTi, without compromising the quality and power of its normally aspirated engine.

They claim that the new RCS III will be slower because of weight issues, so the current 172/182 owners are going to be quicker 0 - 100kms/hr than the new RCS III.

Road Test: Renault Clio III

Superminis by: Andrew Frankel

Renault Clio Gallery
    4CAR RATING:

Assets
    Good looks, image, safety, very stable handling, ride and refinement close to class best.

Drawbacks
    Just not that much fun to drive. Performance limited, and the steering uninvolving

Verdict
    Feels more than one step removed from the car it replaces. It's grown up, but for all the extra comfort and sophistication, a lot of the fun has been lost.
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-te...-clio-05-.html
    Last edited by WRC180; 15th January 2006 at 03:51 PM.
    04' GTi 180

...but still quicker than the Peugeot? ;-)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

yeah with an extra 200kg, its just not going to be the throw around it was

the 172's/182's will be the last of the good ones perhaps?

Default Could RenaultSport be that dumb?

Dont know on this one......... do we really think that after all the accolades the current Clio has enjoyed, that RenaultSport(Not your typical backyard type of company) would make a car that is slower think not.

Thats a huge backward step, and i dont think even Renault are that dumb.

As their are no real performance tests done an its all cloak an dagger stuff at the moment, lets wait an see.

I grant you, 200Kg is a huge amount of extra weight to lug around, but i would not right off the Clio just yet.

And again, no real confirmed specs on this model yet..... lets wait an see.

Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    the 172's/182's will be the last of the good ones perhaps?
    Give it a chance, I remember that the very early tests of the 172 said a similar thing. That the 172 was lardier than the Williams with less sophisticated rear suspension, and that the Williams was the last of the good-uns. A few tests later and the 172 was the new icon :-)

anyone one have the performance figures for the RSCIII? whats the bhp?
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    No performance figures as yet, but apparently it will be around 210bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by pugjet
    134kw

Further comments

Road Test: Renault Clio III

Superminis by: Andrew Frankel

Renault Clio Gallery
    4CAR RATING:

Assets
    Good looks, image, safety, very stable handling, ride and refinement close to class best.

Drawbacks
    Just not that much fun to drive. Performance limited, and the steering uninvolving

Verdict
    Feels more than one step removed from the car it replaces. It's grown up, but for all the extra comfort and sophistication, a lot of the fun has been lost.
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-te...-clio-05-.html
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    No performance figures as yet, but apparently it will be around 210bhp.
    I think a few ozrenault owners got a bit overzealous with that figure

The first turbocharged Pug GTi is expected to have more than 134kW of power to rival the forthcoming Renaultsport Clio.
    http://www.carsguide.news.com.au/sto...-21822,00.html
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    I think a few ozrenault owners got a bit overzealous with that figure
    Yeah, well, it depends on which article you pick. Renault have not yet released figures. Quoted figures are likely just a guess depending on the journo. I've seen figures from "over 200", 205 and 210. So take your pick, either way it will be more than 182 :-)

Besides, in that carsguide article, what a meaningless statement by the journo. If Peugeot cannot get considerably more than 134kW with a hairdryer out of a motor already producing 130kW, they may as well pack up and go home. The Clio 182 already has 131kW.

Give it a chance, I remember that the very early tests of the 172 said a similar thing. That the 172 was lardier than the Williams with less sophisticated rear suspension, and that the Williams was the last of the good-uns. A few tests later and the 172 was the new icon :-)
    Simon,
    I have heard the same thing from a guy in the RCCQ about the early limited edtition(of 85 cars we got here) of Sport Clios as opposed to the 172 version. Apparently the old one was faster in a straight line by a margin due to torque and gearing(?)
    I agree that R'Sport would surely not go backwards.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Simon,
    I have heard the same thing from a guy in the RCCQ about the early limited edtition(of 85 cars we got here) of Sport Clios as opposed to the 172 version. Apparently the old one was faster in a straight line by a margin due to torque and gearing(?)
    I agree that R'Sport would surely not go backwards.
    Thing is this was about the new (at the time) RS Clio II 172 (equivalent to the AUS limited edition Cup cars) not being as good as the old Clio Williams. From old Evo magazine tests, they are very close, the 172 having a seeming slight edge. The newer 2002 model RSC 172 did have marginally different gearing, but from a quick look at the various tests, the differences are marginal and the variations are down to the driver (ie the results vary either way, the early car beats the late car in some tests and vice versa). You have to be careful comparing the results, because some tests have the lightweight UK pukka Cup spec cars.

Yeah, well, it depends on which article you pick. Renault have not yet released figures. Quoted figures are likely just a guess depending on the journo. I've seen figures from "over 200", 205 and 210. So take your pick, either way it will be more than 182 :-)
    Indeed it will be more then 182, but by how much, time will tell. Hopefully the weight issue wont bog it down.

Besides, in that carsguide article, what a meaningless statement by the journo. If Peugeot cannot get considerably more than 134kW with a hairdryer out of a motor already producing 130kW, they may as well pack up and go home. The Clio 182 already has 131kW.
    Need to consider that pug has opted for a smaller motor 1600CC with a turbo charger, so pushing more then 135kw out of it pretty good, anyway this is not about the pug, its about RCS
    04' GTi 180

anyway this is not about the pug, its about RCS
    You were the one who introduced the vibe of comparison into the thread :-)

You were the one who introduced the vibe of comparison into the thread :-)
    I did, but it was indirectly, I was just using it as a source to get the alleged power of the RCSIII.
    04' GTi 180

1000+ Posts

Need to consider that pug has opted for a smaller motor 1600CC with a turbo charger, so pushing more then 135kw out of it pretty good, anyway this is not about the pug, its about RCS
    my 1.4 is doing about 120kw, made in 1985

More bits of the RSC3 jigsaw ripped from UK CAR magazine December '05.

"Renaultsport engineers are working flat out on the road and at Nurburgring to hone the hot Clio before its launch next (UK) spring. In early 2007 firmer, sharper Cup and Trophy versions should follow. For now the focus is getting the most from its naturally aspirated 2.0 litre four cylinder engine, with a six speed 'box. It will have more power than the outgoing Clio 182 but it's also expected to be heavier, so don't expect it to beat the Clio 182's 6.9 second sprint to 62mph and 139mph top whack"

Thread Information