R17 Seats
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R17 Seats

Default R17 Seats

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey does anyone know if these seats ever made it to Australia in a R17?

Advertisement

Thanks
    Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

No, those are the seats used in the Series 2 17's introduced in 1976. Those models were not sold in AUS. The side bolsters adjust, like an M5 BMW (though not automatically!) as well as adjustable bolsters in the cushion. Though the bolsters are known to come loose and floppy.
    Last edited by Simon; 11th January 2006 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Fixed crappy sentence and repeated words!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    No, those are the seats used in the Series 2 17's introduced in 1976. Those models were not sold in AUS. The side bolsters adjust, like an M5 BMW (though not automatically!) as well as adjustable the adjustable bolsters in the cushion. Though the bolsters are known to come come and floppy.

Thanks Simon ....

Looks like i will have to look for them OS.

They look really comfy but. I guess the Feugo seats came from that stye.

Mate
    Dom

Yep, the Fuego seats would likely be a rigid (less warranty claim prone :-)) seat of similar design.

As a long shot, the same seats to the 17 Series 2 were used in the A310V6. As a real long shot, it may be worth calling Alpine Affaire in Melbourne. You never know what may be around, especially if someone has replaced the seats in their car.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Yep, the Fuego seats would likely be a rigid (less warranty claim prone :-)) seat of similar design.

As a long shot, the same seats to the 17 Series 2 were used in the A310V6. As a real long shot, it may be worth calling Alpine Affaire in Melbourne. You never know what may be around, especially if someone has replaced the seats in their car.

Thanks mate, good idea.

Dom
    Dom

1000+ Posts

Icon5 Body moulding to fit seats

I find the Fuego seat comfortable as is, but going by Jo Proffi's previous posts in another thread, he finds the seat digs into his side.

I was looking at a Fuego seat frame last night and I think that it would be pretty easy to make up a custom body form for the back section complete with adjustable lumbar support. Does anybody know of a supplier of seat back foam willing to do a customized job.

The base seat of the Fuego is excellent, the moulded back would be the icing on the cake - a good trim job would give it that rally look in an R17

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    I find the Fuego seat comfortable as is, but going by Jo Proffi's previous posts in another thread, he finds the seat digs into his side.

I was looking at a Fuego seat frame last night and I think that it would be pretty easy to make up a custom body form for the back section complete with adjustable lumbar support. Does anybody know of a supplier of seat back foam willing to do a customized job.

The base seat of the Fuego is excellent, the moulded back would be the icing on the cake - a good trim job would give it that rally look in an R17

ken

Hey Ken,

I was thinking the same thing, I have owned a Feugo before and loved the seats, i had mine repacked and had a pump up lumbar support put it and thought they were great.

Most second hand seats i have seen are crap, but i will keep a look out.

Thanks.
    Dom

I had my original TS seats retrimmed, and I must say I think they are pretty good - the side bolstering came up well - possibly slighty more bolstered due to the retrim, and the best bit - the infinitely adjustable headrests, allowing a perfect position - something I missed on the Fuego seats (if you tilt your head back you end up looking at the ceiling) - I have seen Fuego seats in another vehicle (possibly alpine) with an extra "pillow" on the head rest to fix this.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Default Pity you'r not in Melbourne !

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport
    Hey Ken,

I was thinking the same thing, I have owned a Feugo before and loved the seats, i had mine repacked and had a pump up lumbar support put it and thought they were great.

Thanks.
    If you were here in Melbourne I could donate a Fuego seat with the back stripped bare to experiment on..

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport
    Hey Ken,

Thanks.
    Was that car a white one,with hyperfang wheels,koni shocks,wooden wheel,????I've only ever seen that pump on one car and it was the toughest fuego I've ever driven.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Was that car a white one,with hyperfang wheels,koni shocks,wooden wheel,????I've only ever seen that pump on one car and it was the toughest fuego I've ever driven.
    Jo

Nope was not mine .....

this was my car ...with the last set of wheels i bought for it

[IMG][/IMG]

Dom
    Dom

They look a bit like fuego seats or R18 seats they are very french unusual looking.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    They look a bit like fuego seats or R18 seats they are very french unusual looking.
    ummm, yes
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I put Fuego Buckets in my old R17, they went in no worries at all. They looked a treat, and comfy too, good for tight corners.

You buy another 17 Dom ??
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Default I love fuego seats.....NOT

My .Last year,I went down to camberra to look at a R17 to buy.I was spewing,to find the interior had been fuego'd,with fuego front and rear seats.
    The tough 70's interior had been transformed into a wishy washy psudo fuego pos.Fuego seats would be the last seat I'd put into a 70's car.I'd be trying some jap seats from a similar vintage,say a celica,or corolla, or even consider something like the porsche seats on ebay last month for about $300.anything but beige velour
    The bugers at renault used foam instead of latex, and the foam is now crumbling as it stars to rot.You will find that there is a spring that sticks through into either thigh/butt, and the foam around the 'wings' will have degraded to a point where you can actually bruise your ribs on the unprotected steel,if you corner hard enough.
    Dont be tricked into thinking that the passenger seat will be better, as the rot of foam seems fairly constant with age, not wear.It might look and feel ok, but after a few thousand Km,will crumble like the drivers seat.You will find a little pile of yellow crumbs around the base of most fuego's seats.I've had one apart at my mates apolstry shop, and it is a moulded foam insert, that is not easy to replicate effectivley,using the existing springs for support.
    Apart from that, they are a great seat very comfortable on long,straight,trips.
    jo

Quote Originally Posted by Reno17
    I put Fuego Buckets in my old R17, they went in no worries at all. They looked a treat, and comfy too, good for tight corners.

You buy another 17 Dom ??
    I am looking at one, its a 17 TL very straight, original as ... but more than i want to pay & more than i think its worth.

I still need to find a home for it should i buy it, garage has my Megane RS Cup & the wife's Scenic... an they are not going outside.

If i do buy it, i want a set of wheels for it, an a re trim ... just to tidy it up.

I always wanted a 17TS or G, but the TL might be a better bet for basic parts an easier for someone who is not tech head.

For me, its a sunday car ... until i can afford a big garage so i can buy a few.

So i am doing some homework on the seats, an wheels.

Dom
    Dom

Forget about all these old seats and put in some SAAS seats as I did on my R17, hip hugging and fit onto the standard seat mounts with a simple cross strut.
    Great driving experience, allow tilt forward for rear access

You will never regret it

Below is an example of the best type of original seats (IMO) for the R17. Note the side bolstering isn't too bad (especially considering how long ago these were designed!) and the adjustable headrests - you can just see the rotating adjuster on the near side - allowing you to set them perfectly for your position. All the usual Renault comfort is there as well (ie. spring suspended ala R16). Of course a modern racing bucket would be fantastic, but if you can find a couple of these that are in good condition or retrimmed, they'll work well (no problems with fitting!)

Another interesting thing with the seats is when folded forward the seatbacks actually angle slightly inwards, which makes it just that bit easier to clamber into the back!

Thread Information