• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Another RSM/WRX/GTi Mediafest

Another biased comparison?

Advertisement

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Simon

Its the same thing again, written by the same guy ...who cares anyway ....

i think you need to drive these things then make up your own mind, an buy what ever suits your needs and likes.

I have driven all of them, and still bought a Megane ....

Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

"The interior is roomy enough, but the buttons are just too small."

...or maybe the reviewers fingers are just too fat!

Seriously, I've not heard this complaint before...

IMO, for day to day driving, all these cars are fantastic. The Megane is the option for those of us who are perhaps not afraid to stray from the flock in search of a little individuality.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    "The interior is roomy enough, but the buttons are just too small."

...or maybe the reviewers fingers are just too fat!

Seriously, I've not heard this complaint before...

IMO, for day to day driving, all these cars are fantastic. The Megane is the option for those of us who are perhaps not afraid to stray from the flock in search of a little individuality.

Well said ! ..... Tell this guy to go on a diet !

After i read that i went out side an looked at my car an went .... WHAT THE !

Cant see what buttons are two small ... maybe he could not find the start button ....
    Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Yeh, hehe everyday I get in my Megane, and curse the buttons - if only they were 10% bigger hahaha

Maybe he doesn't like the trip meter reset button? I can't think of any other "small" buttons!
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I can sort of see where the writer is coming from. When I went to look at the Megane RS I was surprised by the dashboard design. Initially it looks neat and uncluttered but the more I sat there it didn't feel as ergonomic as perhaps it should be. The Megane doesn't have rotary knobs for AC controls or stereo volume controls which are a pet peeve of mine.

Below are the Subaru and VW dashboards for comparison. Yes, I know that isn't an RS dash but I couldn't find a pic of one.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    The Megane doesn't have rotary knobs for AC controls or stereo volume controls which are a pet peeve of mine.
    It's really easy. You press the red button to make it hotter and the blue button to make it cooler. I guess you could have a rotary control for that if you want to, but that would make it more complex. Attached is a pic of the non-climate controlled version as an example.

I don't know anyone who has found the stalk mounted remote controls more difficult to use than a traditional radio, and considering that using them requires one finger to be lifted from the steering wheel would surely make them more ergonomic, even more so than the Golf steering wheel controls (8 buttons!) as pictured in the post above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another RSM/WRX/GTi Mediafest-hu1.jpg  

I know, it sounds funny, but I find rotary controls far easier to use when on the move especially in the context of climate control. The Golf setup isn't much better really. It has a rotary knob but digital increments - argh! The standard rotary controllers in the Comfortline Golf are much better ergonomically. You can associate a temperature to the dial position, instead of just a number. Also looking at the position of the dial you can instantly see the extremes, so you always know how much hotter and cooler you can go. With the digital setup, this is not exactly clear.

The stereo controls on the Golf steering wheel are useless, and I hardly use them. The setup on the Megane and 307 (for example) are far better, but I'd still prefer an accurate rotary knob.

I know, it sounds funny, but I find rotary controls far easier to use when on the move especially in the context of climate control. The Golf setup isn't much better really. It has a rotary knob but digital increments - argh! The standard rotary controllers in the Comfortline Golf are much better ergonomically. You can associate a temperature to the dial position, instead of just a number. Also looking at the position of the dial you can instantly see the extremes, so you always know how much hotter and cooler you can go. With the digital setup, this is not exactly clear.
    I still remember reading an article on Volvo ergonomics which said there are certain things that should are best done with rotary dials, especially in a country where people often have gloves on in the winter. Easier to use and faster to use than buttons in the right cases.

Climate control and volume were two that pop to mind.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

so you always know how much hotter and cooler you can go. With the digital setup, this is not exactly clear.
    Do you really need to know how much further you go?
    who cares as long as its correct?

Understand the whole rotary thing, nothing beats analogue control in most situations!
    But i found i didnt want to adjust the temp that often & the volume you just hold down! its gradual enough for it not to be a "huge" step...

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    Do you really need to know how much further you go?
    Yeah, it's easier to distinguish the extremities at a quick glance, whereas '18 degrees' means bugger all.

who cares as long as its correct?
    It's just an aspect of good design and ergonomics, that's all. It's not crucial, but I appreciate good design and don't mind paying for it.

But i found i didnt want to adjust the temp that often & the volume you just hold down! its gradual enough for it not to be a "huge" step...
    That doesn't gel well with me. I constantly adjust the temperature, speed and ventilation controls. Also I often like to adjust the volume quicker than a digital setup will allow.

I also thought that a subtle touch for the heat/cool buttons was the raised bump on the heat button, and depression on the cool - you don't even need to look where your hand is to instantly tell whether you are raising or lowering the temp. Also, having the controls (and information display) high up on the dashboard means you don't have to lower your eyes from the road if you are altering settings manually.

As for finding the right "extreme" - thats easy too. 20 degrees seems nice on a really hot day, and 21 on a mild one. I've never explored the limits of the settings because frankly I don't see why I would need to - it's climate control after all - you set your desired temp and the system will get to it by heating/cooling as fast as it can (and changing the air distribution patterns) Combined with the dash mounted IR detector to compensate for sun loading, it just seems to work. In a way, I guess one could say thats the best ergonomic solution of all - a system that doesn't require human interaction!

Tadpole

I agree with Dom!

Aussie mags/writers arent paid enough by Renault.

Either the writer has fat fingers or he's just a twit!

WRX is a plane HOONs car.. the Golf GTI is overpriced when you spec it up.. did they even dare mention a 8 month waiting period? Cup is available now.. 8 months down the track we have even better cars.. Im even tempted to say that the new VW Jetta 2L Turbo will give the Golf or the CUP a run for its money! 43K on road with DSG! Same engine as the GTI

This will upset a few people, but I think the writer has valid points and comes up with the right conclusion.....sorta!

The Subbie is always going to win the handling stakes, AWD will always beat FWD and on most occasions RWD. That's why they changed the rules so that only V8s could race in the ATCC, because the Nissan GTR was unbeatable. The Audi Quattro was also banded from the BTCC, for the same reason!

VW is perceived here (as in the U.S.) as a mid-range luxury brand. Why I don't know. I know a lady who had just payed $57,000 for a VW Bora! I went for a ride in it and was not overly impressed. Just your average car with leather interior really, but she kept telling me about how good the resale values are and how they've got a good rep for reliablity...BORING!

As for ergonomics, I find these minor gripes because you get used to the positions and operations of buttons/dials as time goes by. Ever tried finding the fan or light switch in the dark in an R12? I can find them straight away, but others will fumble in the dark trying to find them.

Having said all that, my unbias opinion would still declare the Megane the winner! I am an Aussie Frogger after all!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Spotted last night, on Wakefield Road, Adelaide - Current model VW Golf GTi being enthusiastically punted down the road - driver in his 20's, baseball hat on backwards!

The Subaru WRX disease has spread...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    but she kept telling me about how good the resale values are and how they've got a good rep for reliablity...BORING!
    Actually the Bora had brilliant resale values for several years there. Retained value after three years of around 67%. When you consider resale is the most expensive aspect of owning a (EDIT): <NEW> car, it puts the list price into perspective. For $57k she probably got a V6 4motion. You could do worse. But essentially it is a MKIV Golf.

A lot of that story was lifted straight out of Motor Magazine January which came out in mid Dec. Right down to the small knobs. ( Bit Fruedian there I'm afraid)
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

I know, it sounds funny, but I find rotary controls far easier to use when on the move especially in the context of climate control. The Golf setup isn't much better really. It has a rotary knob but digital increments - argh!
    No no, it doesn't sound funny at all. I prefer rotary controls too. Especially as stereo volume control. Yep analogue is far better than digital too. The 306 head unit has a rotary control, but with the stupid digital increments as well, bugs me no end. Sometimes as I'm turning the volume up, it somehow resets back down to a much lower volume. Not sure what is causing this, but I know it wouldn't happen with a simple analogue control pot.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by U Turn
    ...Not sure what is causing this, but I know it wouldn't happen with a simple analogue control pot.
    Or a simple + and - button ;-)

Tadpole

Default I guess its up to us!

well then we have to blast everything off the road to make the point that we are as tough as the others! LOL
    Why cant the RSM be a tourer and everyone be happy with that? Who the hell wants to compete with the reverse baseball hat rexxie boys anyway?
    I woulda got a v8 something if I wanted to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by arno
    Why cant the RSM be a tourer and everyone be happy with that?
    I suppose that was the image Renault wanted to create, otherwise it would have been called Renault Megane Renaulttourer 225 instead of Renault Megane Renaultsport 225 :-)

Bring back the TS badge! Renault Megane TS :-)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    I suppose that was the image Renault wanted to create, otherwise it would have been called Renault Megane Renaulttourer 225 instead of Renault Megane Renaultsport 225 :-)
    Cmon Simon, you know better than that
    RS are just the people that make em!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    But essentially it is a MKIV Golf.
    My point exactly!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Tadpole

Default this is giving me the ^%$^%$^%$

Ok you guys are winning I am almost becoming embarrassed that I bought rsm.
    A lot of what I hear here is bad news and bad reviews. WTF? If the RSM is such a bad car in the minds of the rexxie set ( some of whom seem to inhabit this space) then why bother to talk about it?
    Go drive your rex and yr sti at more price and yr freaking golf and let the rest of us live in our own space.
    I reckon my original 225 is a wicked car. I dont need stiff springs and dampers to prove a point. I dont drive on a race track... I dont race around the country side as much as Id like to. The RS is just that ...a "sporty" renault ... its not a racer its a freaking day use car with some sporty features not the least of which is a great little donk and lots of heart. You dont like it well &^%&^% off!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information