Fuego values
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Fuego values

Default Fuego values

$3000 not.
    For anyone interested in fuego values, keep an eye on ebay.com.au.
    Two decent looking cars...<$500 each.might not even move at those prices.Time will tell.
    Jo
    Ps no R17's this week

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    $3000 not.
    For anyone interested in fuego values, keep an eye on ebay.com.au.
    Two decent looking cars...<$500 each.might not even move at those prices.Time will tell.
    Jo
    Ps no R17's this week
    Jo I find that with your continual denigration of Fuego values that if someone joined Aussiefrogs and only read your postings they would definitely decide not to entertain the idea of owning a Fuego.
    If I had not already bought ours I would not even consider one and sometimes I think of selling it after reading some of your postings.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Thing is there are Fuego's and there are Fuego's. Just had a quick squiz at the two on Ebay, based on the pics it looks like you would be getting what they are asking for, around a $500 car. The blue one has a shocking paint job from the pics even the black bits are painted blue, and for a 12/84 build car has the wrong front end and no rear wiper (nasty previous accident?) The red car looks better but has a scruffy trim and no demister (or A/C).

As for a $3K Fuego, why not? I've seen a couple that have sold for that region, and they were very nice cars with no work need at time of purchase, aftermarket rims decent tyres and good original paint. Also relatively low k's 98K and 126K respectively with books and nice history. The were very different beasts to the average Ebay fodder which would immediately require money spent. Then again there are also relative bargains around the $1K mark too. If you want something nice that has been cared for rather than just something for transport that will get wasted when it breaks down. In the future good original is always worth more than restored, and if you buy good original you save on future restoration costs too.

Tadpole

Default Fuegos? just gutsy comfort?

Someone tell me what the very worst example looked like before trashing it......

then the value of a real one can be considered.

All the same. I reckon they are boring heavy, complex old fashioned cars that cost heaps to keep on the road. I dont even like how they look when perfect. The EBAY bad ones are terrible.

Give me a working R 12 for 20 bucks anyday! Rust and all.

john

This forum seems to be going around in circles?

Any hoo, to answer John's question, I bought a fairly sad example on ebay a couple of months back for $100!
    How bad was it? A rust hole in the passenger door you could put your fist through, both front guards dented, bonnet full of cracking bog, front bumper cracked, the interior is typical of a car that has spent it's whole life in the sun (nackered), stuffed alternator, stuffed radiator and the engine had a blown head gasket, but I think the guy drove it until it stopped because I could move the bottom of the engine, but the timing belt was loose and the cam wouldn't turn!
    So you could say it was a very bad example, I've seen better ones at pick & payless!
    What was right with it? The guy had recently spent $800 on getting it "roadworthy"! As a result it had new Brake Pads, New Ball Joints, after market wheels with near new tyres (cheap ones) and tail light lens that weren't faded (although my son managed to smash one, not happy).
    Other salvagable items were a good rear hatch (with new gas struts), gearbox, driveshafts, driver's door, starter motor and one headlight!
    All in all I think I'm looking at about $3000 worth of parts! Not a bad investment on $100!
    And I got a $50 Woolies voucher from Sims Metals when they picked up the remains, which I spent at the grog shop!

John, having owned 3 R12s in the past, I think I'll let your comment on the Fuego rest, I don't want to open another can of worms!

Westair, I'd gladly pay $3000 for a mint condition Fuego, but people see a Fuego advertised for 3 grand and automatically think their's is worth the same when in most cases it's not!

I like the looks of the blue Fuego on ebay, ashame it's in Melbourne, it's got Nissan Pulsar wheels by the way!

I was also interested in the red one for parts, but the price started creeping up.

It'll be interesting to see what they eventually sell for now that more people are aware of their sales!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Its bankable, the amount of debate about fuego value's.
    If no one buys a fuego GOOD. more for
    me.I would not credit my comments as market shaping ones,however I am a major player in the sydney fuego scene,so whether you agree with my opinion or not,westair,its firmly formed.I would have thought I wave the fuego flag harder than most,but The very reason I got into fuegos and the reason I just bought #7 is that they are cheap as chips.I dont care for a $3000 fuego, as in my hands,with the sheer amount of hard KM I drive, it would quickly become a $500 fuego,and think how much fun I could have had with $2000 worth of tyres on a $500 fuego instead I'm not a fuego collector,I'm a consumer, so give me 6 x$500 fuego's any day over 1x$3000 example.
    Simon,have to disagree about the original versus the restored.fuego's are at the age where lots of things made of rubber and plastic might look OK, but are just waiting to crack split, rupture or whatever.I would think that if you start driving more than 1000Km a week, these things would manifest quite quickly.,and you would be in the same boat as the $700 gang, just a bit lighter.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Several Fuegos that I would buy for $3,000 plus!

I agree with your comments Renomad - I would also buy a mint example for $3000 plus If I can get my hands on them - I have seen a few and one in particular with low km and always garaged that I would chase over that figure.

The car I am currently driving cost $3,600. others much less, but most have had excellent interiors - I even bought a wreck for $500 and this has been very fruitful with low cost spares and still has more to go - helps keep the others up to the mark.

The Fuego is attractive now because you CAN work on it yourself, plenty of secondhand spares and new parts are also readily available from Ken Bailey at Caravelle - His price and service is so reasonable that I tend to use new mechanical parts for my cars, if new parts aren't available I get the best from my donor cars.

If push came to shove and Ken stopped importing parts, I am sure that my cars would still survive on donor parts, there are plenty of good bits about! (and Fuego friends look after one another!!)

If you are not mechanically savvy and can't afford to have work done or suffer from Fuego "block" (read biased against) then my suggestion to those like john, stick to your favourite car and enjoy it and allow us to do likewise

Majority of actual Fuego owners have a genuine affection for their cars, and judging by the comments made to me where ever I drive it, there are many others regretting their decision to dispose of their much loved car.

If people want the experience I would encourage them with the best advice I can offer to help make them enjoy the driving pleasure.

Default well whaduyano

Just had a squizz at ebay to see how those fuego's are moving ,and like there is some conection with this thread, there is a $3000 fuego.
    I assume abs must be worth a fair whack of that $3000 asking price.Anyway,guys and gal,it will be interesting to see if that one moves and at what price.
    Jo

Just had a squizz at ebay to see how those fuego's are moving ,and like there is some conection with this thread, there is a $3000 fuego.
    I assume abs must be worth a fair whack of that $3000 asking price.Anyway,guys and gal,it will be interesting to see if that one moves and at what price.
    Jo
    Yep, I saw it as well, it looks like a stunner, a lot of resto work has been done! If I was in the market, I'd pay the 3 grand!
    Just wondering if it belongs to a fellow Aussie Frogger, as I saw a white Fuego in the background of one of the pics.
    Cheers Renomad

Like a rash, the sale of fuego's is spreading accros the land.There is now yet another at $1800.I know this car quite well.Quite a few of my spare parts are on it.
    Jo

Yep, I saw that one too! The red one went for $610 by the way, not a bad price for an unregistered Fuego!
    Cheers Renomad

Now we just have to wait and see if like many fuego's in sydney,the car ends up on the market again soon.Hopefully we can add another fuego nut to our ranks.
    Jo

Correction, the red one went for $800! Outstanding!
    Cheers Renomad

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    Correction, the red one went for $800! Outstanding!
    well now I dont feel so bad about paying $800 for my red two weeks ago.
    jo

Now I know where I should be selling mine!

You guys looking on ebay now?

The blue one went for $560, not a bad price ever for an unregistered one!
    The other two top level ones look like they'll struggle though!
    Cheers Renomad

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad
    The blue one went for $560, not a bad price ever for an unregistered one!
    The other two top level ones look like they'll struggle though!
    there is something that concerns me about the 3000 red one.The math does not add up,or am I not reading it right.Any thoughts???

there is something that concerns me about the 3000 red one.The math does not add up,or am I not reading it right.Any thoughts???
    In what way? That the 70,000k's plus the 30,000 k's that was on the replacement motor may not equate to the total distance covered by the original car?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    In what way? That the 70,000k's plus the 30,000 k's that was on the replacement motor may not equate to the total distance covered by the original car?
    yes
    jo

as my best mate says, the big print giveth, and the small print taketh away.I'm guessing this car has probably done more like 250-350k, and if it wasn't the shear no of K's that caused its drive train to need so much work,what was it???Call me old fasioned, but when I quote the Km travelled,I'm not talking about an individual component,I'm talking the whole car.Pretty sure the rta sees it that way too.
    I dont think the seller has done himself any favours by listing the cars history like this.
    Jo

I'm guessing this car has probably done more like 250-350k, and if it wasn't the shear no of K's that caused its drive train to need so much work,what was it???

It seems like one of those cars where a prudent purchaser would make further enquiries in order to verify the previous history of the car and its components. Perhaps it has something to do with having a TD bonnet on it too?

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Looks pretty clean and tidy, worth a look

Had a look at the pictures on ebay - car looks pretty clean and tidy and obviously has had money and time spent on it. I never ever worry much about the km's quoted for a car, its all down to looking the car over and deciding for yourself.

If it runs o.k. and mechanicals perform o.k. including a test drive to check the cv shafts, gearbox etc. if these are o.k. and no signs of overheating or uneven tyre wear - providing all these are o.k. then the visible interior and exterior, paint work quality and alloys and tyres should pretty well gaurantee that it is a pretty fair price for the car.

As it is already on aftermarket tyres and wheels, the TD bonnet makes little difference in terms of price unless you have concerns that it has been in a major collision and the repairs bodged (easy to check visually and confirm while driving), or you intend to enter it in a serious concours event!

Some Fuego owners really love the raised bonnet better than the original, so that's only a matter of owner preference.

Always worth inspecting the car and taking along someone who can evaluate its good and bad points.

Easy to pick holes in any car or raise doubts, best to look if you can, make up your own mind. On this one, present owner states he has done 70,000 km and has service history since he owned the car - may well be a good purchase at that price to someone who lives in the vicinity IMHO.

Having said that I am always on the look out for that $3,000 one owner, unrestored always garaged low km Fuego with clean interior - always good value to a savvy owner and if it can be purchased below that figure, you get what you pay for - grotty interior usually indicates rough mechanicals and poor attention to maintenance.

Ken

Having said that I am always on the look out for that $3,000 one owner, unrestored always garaged low km Fuego with clean interior - always good value to a savvy owner and if it can be purchased below that figure, you get what you pay for - grotty interior usually indicates rough mechanicals and poor attention to maintenance.

Ken[/QUOTE]

Keep looking,Ken.you'll find one one day.I'll let you be the first to know if I find one.
    jo

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Yeah!!

Keep looking,Ken.you'll find one one day.I'll let you be the first to know if I find one.
    jo
    Well so far I have been pretty lucky with my own personal cars, and with the others its been a learning experience - fortunately very inexpensive and thats part of the joy of Fuego ownership, nothing is catastrophic !!

I was very impressed with that red $3000 one, if only I found that sort of money under the floorboards.

It will cost me that much to respray mine as it continues to suffer under the Horsham sun.

You have to look at the other things you could get for an equivalent price, being a poor student when I bought mine about 5 years ago for a similar price and 187,000 km on the clock I loved to point out the price I paid for a car with air con, power windows, remote central locking (till the batteries ran out after a couple of weeks with the old plipper) and windscreen wipers on the headlights! Heaps better than the hunk of junk Lasers you could break into with a 5c piece or crusty Magnas that blew head gaskets more often than I blow my nose.

If I was a red blooded young man fresh onto my P's looking to buy a classy vehicle to pick up the chicks, I would leap at the chance to buy it! It looks very spiffy.

Watching that episode of Top Gear tonight, you could mistake those old Porsches for Fuegos as they whiz past at the right angle. Not too shabby.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information