Cheap Renault R5 GT Turbo 1988 in NZ, good import to aust?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Cheap Renault R5 GT Turbo 1988 in NZ, good import to aust?

Hey I was looking on the NZ trading site and saw this
    Renault R5 GT Turbo 1988
    Asking price: $4500, Or Near Offer
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-43480273.htm
    That sounds pretty good for a car thats pretty close to aust

Searched for renault ------->
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/l...archregion=100

Advertisement

Gearbox 5sp transaxle ------->
    This gearbox is out of a Renault 21 Turbo.
    As far as i'm aware there is nothing wrong with the box. the box is out of a wreck which i purchased for the motor.
    This gearbox is ideal for Kit cars running high power V8's, gt40 etc
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...n-44722287.htm
    Last edited by Covert; 9th January 2006 at 06:31 PM.

So, you buying her?

David.

It has the look of a very tired, or at least non original car. No front bumper, bits strewn inside, missing the decals on the side. For the extra to sort the sucker out, not to mention importing it to AUS, I'm sure you wouldn't be too far short of buying a nice RS Clio, much newer and with A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    So, you buying her?

David.

Well what a car, looks like a good deal but no I can't afford it, and I have 2 renaults to get onto the road, so I have no chance in hell.

But maybe someone here in the forum is interested, or sees the car and is interested, one good point is that NZ is only 3 hours away by plane and shipping would not be expensive, and for someone here it looks like a good interesting car, maybe not a bad project.

I am unsure of the import duties but they should not be that bad seeming the car is so close to aust and exchange rates.

$4500NZD = $4138AUD
    http://www.xe.com/ucc

I know what you are saying simon, but maybe for someone who wants something different it may not be that bad, sure it's in bits but it sounds like the engine and mods are interesting, and the car looks like it's been sprayed recently, not everyone is looking or an original car... this could be have way to what someone wants??? in modified form

Maybe one of those half finished projects, I have gotten worst cars that this one to do up in the past, look at my fibreglass banger I am doing up, it's priced similar to this one I reckon once you look at all the costs, and I reckon shipping would be way cheaper from NZ than from europe..... so it may not be a bad deal for someone

--------->

This particular car is not currently in running order. The engine is out undergoing a transformation. I purchased a kit from the UK with all new made pieces/gaskets/pumps etc and low compression pistons, liners and performance cam. The kit was bought from BB performance tuning in England for around $2200 NZD. see it here,
    http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk...t.asp?id=71160

All that needs to be done is for it to be assembled, manual comes with the car.The rest of the car is in working order, turbo has been overhauled, new wheel bearings.

--------->

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    It has the look of a very tired, or at least non original car. No front bumper, bits strewn inside, missing the decals on the side. For the extra to sort the sucker out, not to mention importing it to AUS, I'm sure you wouldn't be too far short of buying a nice RS Clio, much newer and with A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    I have gotten worst cars that this one to do up in the past, look at my fibreglass banger I am doing up, it's priced similar to this one I reckon once you look at all the costs, and I reckon shipping would be way cheaper from NZ than from europe..... so it may not be a bad deal for someone

Um, one humungous difference. One is a limited number Alpine, and one is an unlimited number Renault, besides whenever AUS complianced 5GTT's have come onto the market they are in the sub $10K mark. Try and find a running and ready A310 sub $10K.

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    This particular car is not currently in running order. The engine is out undergoing a transformation. I purchased a kit from the UK with all new made pieces/gaskets/pumps etc and low compression pistons, liners and performance cam. The kit was bought from BB performance tuning in England for around $2200 NZD. see it here,
    It gets worse!! Who knows what the core components are like!

If it was so good, why doesn't the guy slam it all together and sell it as a runner.

1000+ Posts

It'd be a good motorkhana mobile... hmmmm bummer... maybe later!

Fellow Frogger!

Default 5 Gt

Hi guys, I spent about 20 minutes talking to the owner this afternoon. He has spent a bit of money importing bits from the UK, THINKS all the bits are there. Rates the interior as about 6/10 for the year, the exterior about 5 to 6/10.
    There is another unknown motor (was a turbo) which was acquired to get the crank as the engine reconditioner lost the original. Trans was he told me acceptable, though could not be more definite. The enine rebuild kit which he bought has all the necessary bits, head has been crack tested, block appears OK. He is unsure of what tyres etc there are or their condition, likewise the suspension. It has been in the current state for over a year, and in his words needs a truck to collect. Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwia110
    It has been in the current state for over a year, and in his words needs a truck to collect. Hmmmmm.
    Sounds even more exxy to me :-)

moosey

Sounds more like $1K to me - a serious project car .

Thread Information