Advice on 1st Clio
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Advice on 1st Clio

Hello,
    I was hoping to get some feedback and opinions on buying a second hand Renault Clio Sport.
    I have a budget of between 20 and 24,000 and was wondering if you guys being enthusiast owners could give me info on;
    Differences in 2001 models to 2002/2003?
    Reliability issues?.
    Parts?.
    What to look out for and be fearful of.
    I have driven a couple and love small cars. I have been told by some in the buisness that these cars are very bad for parts (ie after a prnag which I am not planning on).
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would like to use the car for 1 off track days here and there.
    Thanking you all.
    Dave
    Sydney.

Advertisement

This thread has bits and pieces on the differences.

Looking into buying Clio Sport '01

Also check this site out for other info.

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/

Quote Originally Posted by davidg2152
    Hello,
    I was hoping to get some feedback and opinions on buying a second hand Renault Clio Sport.
    I have a budget of between 20 and 24,000 and was wondering if you guys being enthusiast owners could give me info on;
    Differences in 2001 models to 2002/2003? Well the 2001 model was a special, it was a cup version. Only 85 were sold, and a really good one goes for 18-22k, no xenons, a few less goddies, but great car, won bang for your bucks in 2001
    Reliability issues?.Now this is a hard one, i just sold my 03 sport, and never had any problems with it...fantastic car.Some people have had more than their fair share of problems...but not many. Try an find a car that has not been owned by someone who use it for track days,an with out tomany mods, always a sign that it might have been trashed. Must always be serviced also.
    Parts?.Not a problem, fast moving parts are in stock
    What to look out for and be fearful of.Look for accident damage,an if you can try an get some of the owners of the car from here or OzRenaultSport to come along when you find one, everyone is quite helpful.
    Also, if you Join the Renault Car Club of Australia, we have quite a few Mk1 owners an some Mk2 owners as well, inc me.

I have driven a couple and love small cars. I have been told by some in the buisness that these cars are very bad for parts (ie after a prnag which I am not planning on).Might be true for some parts, but thats the same for most imported cars, again some of the guys on OZrenault can tell you more on that, Just dont prang it !
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would like to use the car for 1 off track days here and there.
    Thanking you all.
    Dave
    Sydney.
    So Dave, let me just say, if i could have kept my car an still got the Megane RS Cup i would have, best fun you will have for under 25 k in a second hand car. Take a look at wheels dec i think, they do a feature on the second hand ClioSport.

If you want more help, just ask.... Get one mate ....You will love it.

Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Quote Originally Posted by DrRenaultsport
    Take a look at wheels dec i think, they do a feature on the second hand ClioSport.
    Close, it was Motor Mag December '05 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Close, it was Motor Mag December '05 :-)

Yeah Motor thats what i said !

Dom

1000+ Posts

Reliability issues?.
    Parts?.
    What to look out for and be fearful of.
    I have driven a couple and love small cars. I have been told by some in the buisness that these cars are very bad for parts (ie after a prnag which I am not planning on).
    Dave, just sold mine as well & it would've been perfect!

Reliability was 100% with mine, in 2 years of good driving nothing kept me off the road once. If they are not abused they will be reliable. There's a few "large" things gone wrong with some people (Gbox) however watch how they drive & look a the care they give their car!
    I've seen some really horrid abuse of gboxes!

Parts?
    Everything is easy to get & takes max 2-3 weeks from what i've seen. Is your friend "in the business" in the business of Renaults or general car stuff? no offense but if he's never worked with Renaults then i'd question his comments. One guy round these parts has had a few crashes & there's been no real extended delays i think (Storms care to comment?)

Look for an older enthusiast & someone that has ALL the books & gives it that little bit extra TLC, that makes ALL the difference.
    Also speak with lots of people, see if they know of any around that are in good condition (forums are a great place to start).
    Spend the extra & get a later model with warranty & pay for some extra warranty (just in case, any car part these days costs 100's!).
    Also low k's isnt the best thing! look for medium (around 40k in 2years is what i did), really low k's = short/cold trips (or no driving!), really high k's mean lots of warm driving.
    Oil changes are a big indicator, also check the oil they used (should be good full synth).

24k should get you 2yo clio with medium k's & good history.
    20k would give you a car out (or just about to go) of warranty with about 60k.

Best of luck & hope to see you in one soon!

Tadpole

Default Cheers boys

Thanks alot guys for your advice. I am just waiting for the bank transfer from a buyer of my mini and then I will be actively seeking my Renault.
    I have to admit, despite alot of opinion to the contrary, I like the Mk 1 2001 renaults alot but they are few and far between. Saw a yellow one advertised which could be a good one? Have to wait and see.
    Otherwise let me know if any of you hear of a decent car which may be poping up.
    Thanks again for your help
    Dave
    Sydney

moosey

Hi Dave, I'm the happy owner of a MkI. Best to check out ozrenaultsport.com - here's a link to a couple of these that were for sale a month or so ago...
    http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1829

Tadpole

Default Mk 1

Thanks for the link. The yellow one is still for sale. Not exactly the colour I would have been after but with only 85 in Oz you cant be too picky.
    Have to admit have been a little put off by some of the horror stories (ir box/starting issues).
    Like the Mk 1 the most but again $$$ and quality will dictate purchase.
    How many K's have you done moosy?
    Any issues?
    Track days?
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave
    Sydney

Have to admit have been a little put off by some of the horror stories (ir box/starting issues).

Mate dont get put off .... not everyones cars are like that.

As Nate said, look for a owner who is not a hoon and you should be sweet.

I sold my car in 2-3 days, cause it was well looked after an loved....not thrashed. I know these cars are good for track days, but see if you can find one thats not been used that way .... gives you more time to do it before things go wrong.

Starting ...well its a easy fix, turn the key ...wait a few seconds ... turn it off ...start the car ... works everytime.... it becomes habit really fast.

As for the gear box, mate they are very very strong, i think if you try an drive it like a race car all day you will end up with some problems.

The thing that you have to look out for is loose engine mounts, and again if its been serviced by someone who know's it will get picked up before its a problem.

Anyway thats my worth.

An the yellow one .... not really a good choice i think .... its a bit to yellow for my taste .... Mind you i drive a orange Megane .... i should talk

Dom
    Dom

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the link. The yellow one is still for sale. Not exactly the colour I would have been after but with only 85 in Oz you cant be too picky.
    Dave
    Sydney
    That'd be the one from that particular dealer at Drummoyne... i'd steer clear & NEVER EVER buy anything from those people EVER.
    "dodgy carsales people" isnt quite adequate enough to describe these people... i've some other words, but there could be kiddies round here...

you can afford to be a bit picky, there's a few around for sale, you might have to go interstate, however a cheap <$200 air fare could be worth it!
    I had to go to melb for mine & it was worth it in the end!

Default KenM

As I have recently purchased a RS225 my much loved 172 Mk 1 is for sale. Limited Edition 19 of 85 origonal never tracked or bent. Recently had 100k service. silver located SE Qld mostly country all bitumen use. This car has not given me a minutes trouble and has been religiously maintained. I am a mature enthusiast 50+. Asking $17000 If you wish to talk my email is [email protected]

I wouldn't be too fussed if a car has been on a racetrack before.

9 times out of 10 those cars would probably have better ring seal and higher compression

If it has been previously raced and has signs such as serious mods or a roll cage I would definitely steer clear.

Dom's point about hoons is very true regarding the gearbox. Someone who doesn't rev match and flatshifts will have just about killed the 2nd gear synchro. You can easily tell by driving the car though and paying close attention to the 1-2 shift.

Because of the relatively weak gearbox and engine mounts in these things its important to rev match and minimise just 'jamming' gears in. You can tell by sloppy engine mounts on take off and when coming on/off the throttle.
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    As I have recently purchased a RS225 my much loved 172 Mk 1 is for sale. Limited Edition 19 of 85 origonal never tracked or bent. Recently had 100k service. silver located SE Qld mostly country all bitumen use. This car has not given me a minutes trouble and has been religiously maintained. I am a mature enthusiast 50+. Asking $17000 If you wish to talk my email is [email protected]
    Do you also have an Alpine?
    if its the person i'm thinking of, then i'd back this car... True enthusiasts are always the best option!

Tadpole

Default Thanks

Gents,
    Your advice is GREATLY appreciated. I wasn't sure if I stated but I am hopefully finalising the sale of my Morris Cooper S Mk1 which I took deposit of last week.
    The silver Mk 1 sounds of some interest however I am in Sydney and with ridiculous shift work and a baby on the way unfortunately I will have to keep a look out closer to home. No time at all to travel at this stage. May just have to keep looking. No hurry
    If it all works out I would like to come on some drive days though. Was an active member in the mini car club, well at least the good stuff they did show wise.
    Incidently my mini is on the carsales website under Morris Cooper, its the red one in Northmead Sydney if you are interested. Will give you an idea of how I love my cars and look after them.
    Thanks again and keep the info coming as I am soaking it all up.
    Dave

moosey

Like the Mk 1 the most but again $$$ and quality will dictate purchase.
    How many K's have you done moosey?
    Any issues?
    Track days?
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave
    Sydney
    Mine's done 82K, Dave. Very few issues really. A couple of the common ones: rattling passenger seat when not being used - faulty seat rail
    airbag warning light on - "fixed" three times under warranty, eventually I'll get around to hardwiring the connecters under the passenger seat.
    on rare occasions it won't start first go - others get it more often
    that's about it really.

I'd originally planned to track day the car but I've decided to look for something else that I can dedicate to this use. I like my car too much and don't want to bash it too hard by tracking it. ozRS.com has drives every month or two which the car loves. We get up to a dozen cars on a Sydney run. If you like the MkI then be patient and you will find a good one. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Wow Dave, that is a fantastic Cooper S you have there (I thought you meant the “other” Mini initially), I helped a friend buy one years ago and I know how hard it is to find a good one. Continuous rego from new would have to be extremely rare. Did it take long to sell out of interest, I have found that cars like that go very quickly.

Hopefully the Clio will give you as much enjoyment!

Cheers,
    John.

moosey

Maybe have a look at this one. Price and km's look nice - http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Deskt...ias=carpointau

Tadpole

Default Cooper s

My cooper s was advertised for about 20 hours, had a buyer at the door within 40 and a deposit shortly after.
    Unfortunatly the fella was not expecting a car like myn to pop up and as such he didnt have the $$$ laying about hence the finance.
    I can afford to keep the mini but I really cant justify 3 cars at the moment and would like to have 2, hence the Renault Clio after mini option.
    Looked at the silver Mk 1. That is right up my alley. I love silver cars. Thats 2 Mk 1's I may have a chance of looking at if my mini sale doesn't nose dive.
    Of course since I took the deposit I have had about 5 cash buyers keen as mustard but that's the way it goes and I am a bit old school and want to do the right thing by this bloke.
    Will let you all know how I go tommorow night as I am finding out of the buyer tommorow either way.
    Do fancy myself in seat rattling, hard to start, exhaust destroying, french tin can I do have to say. Like I can talk nothing can be out together as well as an aussie built, British Motoring Corporation vehicle. NOTHING!!!
    (Dont forget the P76 was another great milestone!).
    Thanks again for the links it is very much appreciated and I will keep looking each night.
    Cheers
    Dave

Thread Information