Feugo turbo motor into gtx body???
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Feugo turbo motor into gtx body???

I have a 1985 renault feugo. i recently had a electrical glitch which caused the cooling fans to stop working, which resulted in a overheat, and as the chain reaction continued... a worped head. As the engine is rather fatigued i am thinking of replacing it, and i am wondering if the turbo model engine will bolt straight in... or will i have to replace the running gear.... or worst case senario will it not even fit????

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Will fit but!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenFreak
    I have a 1985 renault feugo. i recently had a electrical glitch which caused the cooling fans to stop working, which resulted in a overheat, and as the chain reaction continued... a worped head. As the engine is rather fatigued i am thinking of replacing it, and i am wondering if the turbo model engine will bolt straight in... or will i have to replace the running gear.... or worst case senario will it not even fit????

Simple answer is, a Fuego turbo motor will fit - problem is in sourcing a Fuego Turbo motor in Australia - Turbo's were mainly imported to New Zealand, the UK, USA and Argentina to namea few - There has been a lot of posts re putting in other motors from other renaults - mainly as larger capacity engines with EFI.

Without knowing further what you are seeking to achieve its hard to give a definitive answer.?

The other thing maybe worth noting, this turbo motor Ken speaks of, wasn't available in Aus, and reports from overseas are that the smaller 1.6L turbo compared to the normally aspirated 2.0L was little difference in performance (except the turbo lag)

As Ken also mentioned, the more attractive engine mod in Aus to most Fuego owners would be the head / engine from an EFI motor, R21 or R25 etc, of which in addition a turbo manifold / ECU will 'bolt on'. The 'turbo bits' most likely sourced overseas also.

Other Aussie-Froggers have a more intimate knowledge of this conversion.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

and creaing an exhaust manifold to ack a turbo on to force air through your carbi wouldnt be a stupidly costly exercise..

Still recon a shaved block with high compression and trumpets of some description would be so much more fun tho

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Convert to 2.2 litre EFI power

And as it just so happens....

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/sho...768#post293768
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I reckon a super charged 2l fuego with R21 head and pipes would rock.
    jo

If you used an R21 Turbo motor, all the hard manifold work and such has already been done, and they go quite hard standard. I was given a ride in a modded one when in Europe, with 4 adults loaded, and it was impressive. I think he said it "only" had 270 Hp.

These motors go cheaply in England, although freight would come in at $500.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore
    If you used an R21 Turbo motor, all the hard manifold work and such has already been done, and they go quite hard standard. I was given a ride in a modded one when in Europe, with 4 adults loaded, and it was impressive. I think he said it "only" had 270 Hp.

These motors go cheaply in England, although freight would come in at $500.
    Ahhhh,Fuego dreaming. If you wanted to get a 2L turbo rego'd,you probably would want to get a UN1 box whilst you were at it, and some 4x disk brakes, and then get some drive shafts made up to fit, and you will need to enlarge your fuel system with new lines and have a new tank pickup fabricated, you will need to mess with the exhaust secondry to fit gearbox mounts,and definatly strengthen the Ps engine mount.You might want to modify the radiator to alow the plumbing for the intercooler and pipes,and you would probably be prudent to go efi and limit the power in lower gears like the Lotus do with the UN1 box.Better suspention components too, to handle the power
    Id be guessing that you would have to spend in excess of 8K to pull that off.(Not including labour).
    The obvious mod for you to do at this time is to get just a R21 head and EFI components and put that on.the fuego rockets with that setup.I can answer any specific questions you may have,as I only did it about six month ago.
    (No, Im not selling a r21 head ) Jo

Jo,

I am still really suprised you dont have mixture problems in extreme heat or cold.

My understanding is that the stock R21 ECU has some tolerances, but 'bolting them on' to a Fuego 2.0L block would (I would have thought) put things way out such as mixture in extreme temperatures.

Do you have any plans to put a programmable aftermarket ECU in it?

David.