Renault 19 Alize
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Renault 19 Alize

Hi everyone. Browsing the threads in this forum, it seems as though the R19 autos are prone to dodgy transmissions. I purchased my 1995 R19 Alize about 18 months ago, and it now has 100,000 kms on the clock. Recently it has been over-revving in low gear. I had the local Renault dealer perform a quick inspection, and he basically suggested that I could be looking at a couple of grand in repairs.

I've since bought another car, and the Renault is still idle on the nature strip. I was unable to organise a trade in. I went through a car search broker, and none of his contacts would have anything to do with it - even diehard European car enthusiasts. His advice? Take it to the wreckers. Renault enthusiasts, does this sound right to you? Sure it needs attention, but the car is only ten years old. As a Renault owner, I was made to feel like a leper!!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit
    Hi everyone. Browsing the threads in this forum, it seems as though the R19 autos are prone to dodgy transmissions. I purchased my 1995 R19 Alize about 18 months ago, and it now has 100,000 kms on the clock. Recently it has been over-revving in low gear. I had the local Renault dealer perform a quick inspection, and he basically suggested that I could be looking at a couple of grand in repairs.

I've since bought another car, and the Renault is still idle on the nature strip. I was unable to organise a trade in. I went through a car search broker, and none of his contacts would have anything to do with it - even diehard European car enthusiasts. His advice? Take it to the wreckers. Renault enthusiasts, does this sound right to you? Sure it needs attention, but the car is only ten years old. As a Renault owner, I was made to feel like a leper!!
    Hey
    I had a 1993 R19 1.8RT Auto for 2 years and yes the AD4/AR4 auto transmission is a unit which WILL fail at approximately 100,000km. I loved having the car, and the transmission itself worked very well (until it broke!!). My advice would be to bite the bullet and fix the car up. Most auto transmission companies would be able to sort it out at less than dealer prices, but it will still cost a bit. And if you do sell it, I would think you could still recover the money spent (it's worthless at the moment isn't it!!)

Renault enthusiasts, does this sound right to you? Sure it needs attention, but the car is only ten years old. As a Renault owner, I was made to feel like a leper!!
    It is still a Renault 19, an automatic one at that with a dodgy trans. These are considered orphans in Australia because only a relative few were sold. Realistically the car would be worth say $6-7K at absolute best with a decent trans. But a dealer wouldn't want to touch it unless the deal had some sort of highly inflated margin to compensate. I'd say with any car, even a Commodore or Falcon of the equivalent age with the same problem (which isn't unknown from what I've heard) would suffer from the leper effect though.

Nobody wants 19's with dodgy auto's, I was told on one on Ebay recently that didn't even attract $200.

As NZ above says, assess the damage if sold as is, possibly $800 to $1K if you are lucky, compared to say $2K of repairs and selling the car for around $5K. As yours is one of the later better 1.8 litre cars it may attract more interest, but I'm not sure how fickle, fussy and choosy the 19 buyers market is.

What did you replace the 19 with?

Check out replies by JoBo, the resident Renault 19 expert, he can repair them himself which really would help, so he would be able to give you the lowdown on the best way for you to approach the situation.

Check this link from the Tech and Performance section, it sounds similar to your symptoms.

AD4 repair & parts

I saw / looked at a 1994 RT 19 Auto Hatch in clean, straight and good condition overall for it's age with books and 105k's that had a rebuilt AUTO (including receipts and waranty for the rebuild) that was recently offered by a NSW dealer for $3900.00 and at last look was still for sale....

Make of that what you will....

Cheapest way out is to do a full fluid flush on the auto (ie three changes with a good drive in between to get all the fluid out including the converter NOT just the 3.5 litres in the sump)

Guarantee it hasn't had regular fluid changes (ie at least every 40,000klms) and the level may not even be right which is crtical....

Checked the Castrol Web Site and they recomend:-

Automatic Transmission

CASTROL TQ DEXRON III
    Automatic transmission fluid formulated to the DexronŽ III specification. Provides enhanced friction durability, wear performance, oxidation resistance and cold temperature fluidity. May be used in all vehicles where DexronŽ fluids are recommended.

Capacity 3.5 Litres (this is NOT total capacity)
    Last edited by Jack Z; 4th January 2006 at 10:30 PM.
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    What did you replace the 19 with?
    Cheers to everyone for your prompt and useful comments.

Whenever the Renault needed attention (e.g., a new starter motor, radiator), I became accustomed to the head scratching and brow rubbing that followed a lifting of the bonnet. Everything seemed to be upside down and hard to get at!! This prompted my more conservative choice of a 1999 Nissan Pulsar SLX.

There was plenty to like about the R19, but I had a pretty bad trot with maintenance. The transmission was the final straw. I'm wondering about how well its previous owner treated it, although the books suggested that it was well maintained. Hmmm.

Everything seemed to be upside down and hard to get at!!
    Sounds like a Renault :-)

I'm wondering about how well its previous owner treated it, although the books suggested that it was well maintained. Hmmm.
    I think a lot depends on how interested the mechanic is. As you seem to have found, they place them in the too hard basket when things go wrong when overall they are reasonably simple to maintain. Being an orphan by 1996 when Volvo gave up distribution wouldn't have helped with servicing by some dealers. Although Renault don't help by having materials like the radiator that don't withstand shoddy maintenance. Delaying coolant changes usually meant radiator and pipe corrosion from electrolytic reaction.

Good luck with the Pulsar!

Default Ren. 19 Alize.

WW Biscuit.
    I worked for a Volvo dealer back in the dark days when they took on Renault.

In my opinion Renault deserved a thrashing for foisting on the market an auto trans car that required calling in all the local Sharmans, Wickers and Druids to carry out a drain and refill operation on the 19 auto.
    This operation on a normal car requires a simple drain plug removal and refill, checking the dipstick as you go. On the Renault it was necessary to hook up the test box, put a quantity of oil in the trans, run the engine to warm things up to a spec. temp. Then check the Level plug bearing in mind that this not the Fill plug.
    If after this no oil comes out of the Level hole more oil is added. The engine is then run to warm things up and the Level checked. If oil runs out it is deemed OK. By the way the Level plug requires a triangular key to remove.
    [The French really excelled themselves with this!]

Most of the mechanics all forecast that this setup would be the cause of auto failures in the 19. Unfortunately as these cars went through their second and third etc owners the servicing would be hit and miss. I don't think we were far wrong with our forecast.

Yes, I'm aware that some clever owners have got around this service procedure but there must be a lot of 19 autos that have been neglected.

Sounds like if you've got a manual R19 you will have an adundance of good spares... all the R19 cars with conked out autos that have only done small mileages

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Sounds like if you've got a manual R19 you will have an adundance of good spares... all the R19 cars with conked out autos that have only done small mileages
    YAY!!! I have a manual. If anyone is willing to let one go cheap to a good home, i'm willing to consider anything reasonable. Especially if it's a 16v, i know there is a convertable one in Aust, i've seen it personally.

Oh and being at 100K has the timeing belt been done? if not, do it do it do it. the pulleys that are with it really do wear.
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger! dave from bendigo's Avatar

holy crap, is there seriously a r19 16v in aus, I didn't know they brought any in, the 16v is a sweet fast machine.
    "Some minds are like concrete...all mixed up and permanently set."

Tadpole

We have the same problem with our R19, nobody will even consider a trade/sale. Apparently electrical problems have grounded this car yet again. The $30 alternator found at the wreckers lasted about 6 months. If you need the beast 'removed' just let me know as we need all the spares one can get .

I will put another slant on this whole subject. I had a Renault 19 automatic for 3 years and didnt have many issues with it except a broken solonoid. The replacement was about 1500 including labour and testing.
    David Collier fixed it with no issues and said they are no worse than any other normal automatic car and no better.
    I like them. Im not sure I agree with the comment they are a Renault Orphan. That is irrelevent. If you like the car and its in good condition get it fixed. I would call colliers automotive and even though you are in Melbourne. He can give you great advice.
    Hope it all works out with it.
    They really are a great cheap reliable french car compared to some others. You have to realise however though. There really is zero sympathy for them. I think Im the only guy that really has a soft spot for them.

But Daniel you are the patron saint of lost causes
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

But Daniel you are the patron saint of lost causes
    This is quite true look at my obsession with the Renault 14 and the Citroen LN/LNA/Visa.

Thread Information