Help re my new R25
  • Register
  • Help
    Tom

Default Help re my new R25

Have just bought a 1985 car in very good condition. A couple of questions for you R25 experts out there:

1) The battery in it seems pretty small. Only about 270 CCA I think. Would this be standard? Is smaller than the standard one for my R20 which is about 350 I think. Will this adversely affect the electrics?

2) Fuel gauge works fine but trip computer doesn't seem to work and I can't reset the tripmeter. I assume this is down to 'dry' solder joints as per most early R25s? Having said that, I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery briefly and then the next time i drove it I reckon the digital trip meter actually worked but it hasn't since then.

Advertisement

3) The central locking works on all doors when I use the 'lock all' button on the console but if I lock the car with the door key, the left rear door doesn't lock.

4) Similarly, the lock mechanism on the fuel door doesn't fully extend so the door remains unlocked. Can manually lock it through the little access window in the boot but is a pain. Can these be lubricated or freed up at all or am I up for a replacement? Other option is to get a locking fuel cap maybe

5) Air-con is not working. The compressor doesn't seem to cut in when I turn on the switch (except for a small 'click' from behind the dash). If it needs a regas, should the compressor still come on or does it need to be gassed up in order to operate.

These little 'gremlins' are quite easy to live with though as the R25 is such a great car. I love my R20s but this is just so far advanced in every respect.

6) I know the purists will gasp at this one but has anyone out there ever fitted lowered suspension to a R25? Everyone seems to 'hot up' Fuegos but I reckon my 25 would look awesome an inch or 2 lower. I'll wait for the "why would you do that to a R25" responses on that one.

Cheers
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Have just bought a 1985 car in very good condition. A couple of questions for you R25 experts out there:

1) The battery in it seems pretty small. Only about 270 CCA I think. Would this be standard? Is smaller than the standard one for my R20 which is about 350 I think. Will this adversely affect the electrics?
    Way undersized. I run a 400 and something CCA in mine. It wont hurt the car though, just kill the battery quickly as it is working harder to crank the motor than it is designed for.

2) Fuel gauge works fine but trip computer doesn't seem to work and I can't reset the tripmeter. I assume this is down to 'dry' solder joints as per most early R25s? Having said that, I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery briefly and then the next time i drove it I reckon the digital trip meter actually worked but it hasn't since then.
    Just today reinstalled my trip computer after having the famous dry solders fixed. It doesn’t seem to be hard for anyone good with very delicate soldering. You have to pull apart the whole instrument assembly, removing speedo and tacho from the casing in order to access the trip computer. Be very very careful – especially with the ribbon type electrical leads. They are old and brittle.

3) The central locking works on all doors when I use the 'lock all' button on the console but if I lock the car with the door key, the left rear door doesn't lock.
    Curious. The door switch and the button on the console feed a signal to the locking module, so if it works off the button, it should work off the door. It is common for the locking solenoids to get sticky though. A squirt of WD40 into their internals usually does the trick.

4) Similarly, the lock mechanism on the fuel door doesn't fully extend so the door remains unlocked. Can manually lock it through the little access window in the boot but is a pain. Can these be lubricated or freed up at all or am I up for a replacement? Other option is to get a locking fuel cap maybe
    Again, likely to be sticky. Squirt WD40 into the internals where the shaft comes out.

5) Air-con is not working. The compressor doesn't seem to cut in when I turn on the switch (except for a small 'click' from behind the dash). If it needs a regas, should the compressor still come on or does it need to be gassed up in order to operate.
    Compressor should only function when it has gas in it.

These little 'gremlins' are quite easy to live with though as the R25 is such a great car. I love my R20s but this is just so far advanced in every respect.

6) I know the purists will gasp at this one but has anyone out there ever fitted lowered suspension to a R25? Everyone seems to 'hot up' Fuegos but I reckon my 25 would look awesome an inch or 2 lower. I'll wait for the "why would you do that to a R25" responses on that one.
    I reckon it would look pretty good, especially with some nice 16” wheels. Do it properly though and get the springs reset. But you have issues with matching shock absorber rates to the stiffened springs – not many aftermarket shocks about!!! Also, don’t lower it too much, as it will upset the geometry of the double wishbone front end.

Cheers
    Tom[/QUOTE]
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tom

Thanks Haakon. Just fixed the fuel door with a bit of WD40. Works every time now. Will do the same to the rear door on the weekend.

Hi- I have seen pics of at least 1 R 25 with the front end down in the weeds and with a lovely set of alloys on, and it looks awesome!! Would love to do same to mine, but am aware of the problems with front end geometry. The 25 is already a fabulous looking car, but have always felt some subtle mods would make it really stunning. Can't understand why you just never see them tricked-out.

want to lower my turbo,noticed a set of lowering springs on e-bay,40mm drop,the front needs it most,would look good i think,but not to low,that would be silly

Thread Information