It works again!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 It works again!!!

Finally convinced a friend of mine who is an electronic whiz to crack open the R25 trip computer/fuel gauge and go on the hunt for dodgy connections.

Several dud solders and a wire busted off were found, and he also went over every solder joint he could find. And now it works perfectly again

Advertisement

I am fairly happy. Its a bit novel having an R25 with working fuel gauge!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I am fairly happy. Its a bit novel having an R25 with working fuel gauge!
    Not sure they even came out of the factory in that condition , just as well the trip odometer works. Have just learnt to live without it.
    Haakon you must have the removal time down to a min by now , whats your best time?
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinS
    Not sure they even came out of the factory in that condition , just as well the trip odometer works. Have just learnt to live without it.
    Haakon you must have the removal time down to a min by now , whats your best time?
    I can have the instruments out in about 4 minutes, and another 10 to have the trip computer out. Far too much practice over the years...

It is REALLY easy to fix - if you want some help, let me know. You just need someone who is handy with a delicate soldering iron - I might even be able to convince my friend to do another. Or maybe can get one of spares resoldered and I'll swap you. I am going to give him my PLIP reciever to see if the same treatment will revive that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    I can have the instruments out in about 4 minutes, and another 10 to have the trip computer out. Far too much practice over the years...

It is REALLY easy to fix - if you want some help, let me know. You just need someone who is handy with a delicate soldering iron - I might even be able to convince my friend to do another. Or maybe can get one of spares resoldered and I'll swap you. I am going to give him my PLIP reciever to see if the same treatment will revive that too.
    Haakon- I forsee a slab in your future , I can work a solder iron ok just the removal and re-install bit not on the resume.
    I know the unit can work because occasionally it shows me what I'm missing.
    Cheers
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

Sounds like a plan Will rarely knock back beer... Just drop round one weekend, and we will have it out in a flash if you reckon you can solder it on the spot. Or if you want to pick up one of my spares and solder it up and we can then swap it in a flash Be warned - the solder joints are VERY delicate. I wasnt going to go near them with my clutsy fingers

Sounds like your one is doing what mine did - would occasionally wake up, so I knew it was working essentially.

Keep the R25 going its a great car and still quite a lot of them on the roads in France.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsydney
    Keep the R25 going its a great car and still quite a lot of them on the roads in France.
    Hey Daniel, did you see any bad cars on your recent trip to France or were they all great?

Quote Originally Posted by GavinS
    Haakon- I forsee a slab in your future , I can work a solder iron ok just the removal and re-install bit not on the resume.
    I know the unit can work because occasionally it shows me what I'm missing.
    Cheers
    Hey, I'd be up for having a get together with our 25's also.. Hakkons place it is!

Despite what I have been told, recent events lead me to beleive the trip computer DOES rely on the (dry solder joint) Speedo. Fixed the dry joint, and everything sprang back into action! Trip computer, speedo, fuel guage. YAY!

Who knows for how long tho, am in to process of preparing the car for RWC.

Hakkon / anyone have a spare drivers side rear vision mirror?

David.