fuego tachometer issue
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default fuego tachometer issue

if its not one thing its another. just came from a whirlwind trup to melbourne. (by the way for those knowing i had the wiper problem, didnt get it fixed yet but rain-x sure works!).

the tach stopped working. it seems to go up a bit at start up and floats around 1000 rpm but wont go beyond it. when the ignition is off is falls to the normal resting position. any ideas on how to fix?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I've had a similar issue with the 5T2, but with the Radiator dial, at times it just doesnt move up, then it suddenly goes up!
    All wiring is OK & i think its the actual dial thats getting a little stuck.
    I used a tiny amount of Silicon lubricant on it & we'll have to wait & see

Maybe pull it out & move it up/down a few hundred times & see if that free's it up?

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    I've had a similar issue with the 5T2, but with the Radiator dial, at times it just doesnt move up, then it suddenly goes up!
    With the older Renault temp gauges, the temp gauge sender in the head has the spade terminal connection crimped onto the sender itself. With time from vibration etc, the spade terminal connector can become loose on the sender giving an intermittant contact causing the temp gauge to give erratic readings, ie fall to cold, then suddenly go back up the scale. Check to see if the male spade terminal connector is loose on the sender itself.

The 5T2 may have a similar sender, but it could also be a later type where the male spade terminal is moulded into the top of the sender in a plastic, in which case it could be a different problem!

nod, Aussie heat and black dash turn the needles into twisties too!

Needles from a Commondore fit straight on, if the problem is that it is bent and touching the dial plate. Then calibrating it can be fun, but once it was done on mine (so far) all is good.

Other fixes involve supeglue on the underside and putting them in a vice or weighted down until set hard.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by bloopoid
    if its not one thing its another. just came from a whirlwind trup to melbourne. (by the way for those knowing i had the wiper problem, didnt get it fixed yet but rain-x sure works!).

the tach stopped working. it seems to go up a bit at start up and floats around 1000 rpm but wont go beyond it. when the ignition is off is falls to the normal resting position. any ideas on how to fix?