Are these common in oz?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Are these common in oz?

Hi guys, I'm not normally in this part of the woods, but I thought you might like to see this pic of a Renault 18 I saw while driving my bus at work.
    They are now very rare here, as they rust quite badly...
    john s

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are these common in oz?-my-babies-001.jpg  
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Fellow Frogger!

Yes they were here but not seen any in Western Australia for a long time.

Graelin

They did come to Oz, but only the early Series 1 cars with the chrome bumpers and three stud wheels. Apart from a lone 18 Turbo evaluation car. It sort of completed the start of the end of Renault Australiaís assembly plant. They were fairly expensive for what you got, and they weren't popular. They arenít exactly rust free in Australia either!

I can't recall ever seeing one on the roads out here - But they were definately sold in Australia!

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger!

Had an 18 station wagon (as they are called in australia) or break (as called in europe), before I got a 25. Great car, plenty of space, good fuel economy, reasonable acceleration. As noted, had poor rust control.

A basic car - a 1980's R12.

I had a wagon too, from '90-'94, fabulous car but we sold it when you could stick your finger thru the firewall. Sold it reluctantly to a mate of a mate, who insisted he wanted it. A couple of years later I met him at a party, he collared me with, "about that car" OH OH. "Fantastic, still driving it" (we don't have inspections here)
    We bought a near new Crappydore, hated it so after 6 months, went back to Rens, rust or no rust. Loved that 18 though. Great dirt road car, never needed a wheel alignment in it's life, better seats than the 25.
    They used to be common in Perth, as Eurocars were fairly active in those days, but I think the tinworm got most of them.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    I had a wagon too, from '90-'94, fabulous car but we sold it when you could stick your finger thru the firewall. Sold it reluctantly to a mate of a mate, who insisted he wanted it. A couple of years later I met him at a party, he collared me with, "about that car" OH OH. "Fantastic, still driving it" (we don't have inspections here)
    We bought a near new Crappydore, hated it so after 6 months, went back to Rens, rust or no rust. Loved that 18 though. Great dirt road car, never needed a wheel alignment in it's life, better seats than the 25.
    They used to be common in Perth, as Eurocars were fairly active in those days, but I think the tinworm got most of them.
    Cheers
    Mike
    For an upmarket, worked over R12 they were quite good cars, cruised well as I remember it and felt solid. They rusted and leaked somewhere around the front and, as everyone has remarked, have more or less disappeared. I haven't seen one in Perth or Adelaide for at least 2-3 years, even thought there are still older 12s and 16s on the road.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hi,

I have an 18 sedan which I love to bits - almost as much as my Fuego. It has got a few dents and if I had enough money its the first thing on my list to spend money on and do up. Meanwhile I try to take care of it and take it out for a spin once a week. I saw another 18 in the city (Hobart) a few months ago, and last week while spending a few days in Launceston I saw a silver Renault 18 sedan in great condition cruising around looking for a space in a car park - I was tempted to follow it to have a chat with the owners but thought it might seem odd. Wish I had now.

I seem to remember an R18 wagon somewhere way back in our stable.
    It was a great car, albeit that it too suffered tinworm severly and was operated on a couple of times but to no avail and eventually had to be put down I believe.(by asubsquent owner)
    When it was running it ran well, economically and I bet a bullet would not have stopped it on a good day.
    Haven't seen any on the roads for ages though and can only recall 2 ever advertised here for sale in my time as a member, one being an ad someone got fro the trading post about the 18 Turbo mentioned earlier.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Default r18's

HAPPY NEWYEAR ALL.
    I have one sitting in my paddock that i got for the motor &wheels as its got a set of dunlop alloys on it. If anyone needs any bits give me a shout.
    Cheeres peter.

Thread Information