Renault 18 help
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Renault 18 help

Tadpole

Default Renault 18 help

Hello Forumers, newbie here. I have owned my 18 for only a month and it's my first Renault. I'm impressed with its solidity after (probably) 26 years of European roads and more than half of that on Central European roads, although in places that solidity has more bead around it than a Polish convent's rosary collection.

I don't know if my question should be here or in the technical forum, but here goes. The engine is a 1647cc four, the crossflow version. The car was bought running only on LPG. The petrol running problem was traced to the mechanical fuel pump, which has been replaced. There was no insulator block between pump and engine fitted at first and the engine destroyed a replacement pump in short order. The mechanics put another pump on and there is a spacer, but I doubt that it is the right one, as it isn't supplied with aftermarket pumps and this engine isn't too common here in Poland. The engine ran on petrol for a while but now won't, and I think that this pump is u/s now too. Can anyone tell me how thick the insulator or spacer, call it what you will, should be?

The engine's mileage is unknown, and I dread that maybe the layshaft that drives the dizzy and the fuel pump has so much bearing play that the cam contacts the pump too much - is this likely too?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any helpful advice you can offer.

Advertisement

Scott

The spacer is about 5mm thick, plus the two gaskets, probably giving a thickness of about 6-7mm in total. The pump on the crossflow motor is operated directly off the camshaft, so there is likely very little play, but the diaphragm of the pump may be being stretched to its limits and breaking with no spacer in place.

How about installing an electric fuel pump? That would likely solve most of the fuel pump problems.

Tadpole

Default Diaphragm O.K., brass actuators getting destroyed!

Thanks for the reply. The fuel pump isn't breaking at the diaphragm but instead the part which bears directly on the camshaft is snapping. I thought of an electric fuel pump myself too, but I don't know what the spec should be. I can ask a friend who used to race a Beetle on carbs, since I suppose that a pump to supply carbs works at lower pressure than one to supply injection. Anyway, thanks again!

Thread Information