98 R reg Clio 1.2 PETROL LEAK!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 98 R reg Clio 1.2 PETROL LEAK!

Hey everybody, im new and not very good at cars

Advertisement

I bought a Renault Clio R reg 1998 1.2 which has only done 19000 miles. This is what I have been told happens and what has been done to fix it:

When filled to full it then leaks a LOT of petrol from the top where there is a large screw lid with ‘O’ ring. After investigation, any attempts to solve this problem have failed resulting in the same problem. bought a new screw top and ‘O’ ring for the tank top access/sender unit but this did not solve the problem.

Apparantly it is a tank design fault. Has anyone got any more ideas as our mecanic cant solve it either. Or maybe someone knows whether it was a recall or if there is something i can buy to fix the problem. A new tank is going to cost me a lotta money! There is no hole as the tank has been thoroughly looked at.

Thanks everyone, hope you can help

1000+ Posts

remove the rear wheel next to the filler cap & check all connections from the cap to the tank, hopefully you'll see where the leak is...

If it's a tank design fault, then I'd suggest contacting your nearest Renault dealer and enquiring if there was a recall. If a new tank is too much money, maybe you could look for a second hand one.

These Clios weren't sold in Australia, so you won't find a lot of local knowledge here I'm afraid...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Tadpole

Hiya, thanks for your help.

For the first reply, we already know where the leak is but thanks very much for your idea.

To the other reply, thanks for your suggestion, Have already contacted renault but so far I cant see anything about it being a recall on the internet. I guessed the aussies out there might not be able to help but ive tried all sorts so gave it a go anyway Thanks again.

Have you tried Katriina's website?

Not as active as a few years back, but a lot of UK and Europe based people on there that might have some experience of it. I "think" the website is

http://www.abc.se/~katriina/index.htm

Tadpole

ooooo thanks very much, ive given it a go and fingers crossed!

Thread Information