R19 Gearbox probs
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default R19 Gearbox probs

Hey all,

Having a bit of a problem with 5th gear in my Renault 19 Chamade. 5th gear won't engage at all, not even when stopped and the engine is off. I took the top of the gearstick rubber and console off to try and get to the gate to see if there was something preventing the movement, only to find that the plastic casing on the top was such that it doesn't look like there is in any way a way that 5th could be selected even if i wanted.

Anyone else had any problems similar and know what the prob might be. My friend used to own it and i know he gave it a bit of a thrashing.

any assistance would be great. not so much for me as i am pickign up a seat ibiza gti on friday but would love to be able to fix the other problem.

cheers

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by poppamav
    Hey all,

Having a bit of a problem with 5th gear in my Renault 19 Chamade. 5th gear won't engage at all, not even when stopped and the engine is off. I took the top of the gearstick rubber and console off to try and get to the gate to see if there was something preventing the movement, only to find that the plastic casing on the top was such that it doesn't look like there is in any way a way that 5th could be selected even if i wanted.

Anyone else had any problems similar and know what the prob might be. My friend used to own it and i know he gave it a bit of a thrashing.

any assistance would be great. not so much for me as i am pickign up a seat ibiza gti on friday but would love to be able to fix the other problem.

cheers
    Is that Taree in South Australia? If so, you could try a call to whatever Taylors of Medindee is called at present and ask for Colin Redmond. He might know.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Taree = NSW
    Tarlee = SA

...unless there is a little known Taree here too!
    '05 Pearl Black Mťgane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Do R19's have the same type of shift rubber shocker that the R12/15/17/18 had?? I had an R18 where these two rubbers were way past their use by date and there was no way you could get 5th. Replaced the rubbers, 5th found again.

The rubbers are/were located in the shift linkage half way between the lower end of the gear stick and the gearbox.

Good luck
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Taree = NSW
    Tarlee = SA

...unless there is a little known Taree here too!
    No, just the end of the year. I'd better have a good sleep!

Merry Christmas anyway.

cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Do R19's have the same type of shift rubber shocker that the R12/15/17/18 had?? I had an R18 where these two rubbers were way past their use by date and there was no way you could get 5th. Replaced the rubbers, 5th found again.

The rubbers are/were located in the shift linkage half way between the lower end of the gear stick and the gearbox.
    Sounds like what i've got. The shift linkage is difinately adjustable underneath the car and the lever is just a ball and stick type.

Adjusting the linkage is pretty easy if you've got two people. (one in, one under)

It's possible that it's just slipped. Let me know if you still need some help i've got both the haynes manual and the workshop manual.

hd
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Thread Information