Who needs a trailer when you have a R25...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Who needs a trailer when you have a R25...

Well I found out you can shift 54 square meters (8 packs) of pink batts in a R25 with the seats folded - hatch was propped open though, and a little bit of rope there to keep the police happy :-)

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who needs a trailer when you have a R25...-batts.jpg  
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Sorry to say that does not look like an R25 boot what those bats are living in
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Umm yeh, sorry thats the resulting pile after unloading, hopefully it shows what you can carry (2 loads of 8 batts each!)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

How did the aircon go?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

More to the point, did the bloody speedo work? I'm at wits end
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

The aircon seemed very efficient (hehe) and the speedo worked fine - always has :-)

Like everything in life, there's a precedent.

Anyone recall the movie version of "Stiff" written by Shane Maloney and featuring David Wenham as the main character, Murray Whelan.

Whelan's car in this was a venerable R16 which at one stage he used to transport a house full of "Warm Batts" home. (I remember being amused by the wombat logo painted on each package!) It was equally amazing how many he managed to fit in the old beast.

A great movie, but a sad end for a 16.

Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Default Fitting stuff in

Potsy,

You just reminded me of a great movie. My son Michael (Mikee) has shifted a full size fridge in his 16 much to the amazement of his flatmates.

Renault did mankind opps humankind an great service with the invention of the "hatchback"

Have just traded a 25 ( with working speedo, but never functioning fuel guage) on a Laguna.
    Happy Sixteening ... John E

Quote Originally Posted by reno1154
    Potsy,

You just reminded me of a great movie. My son Michael (Mikee) has shifted a full size fridge in his 16 much to the amazement of his flatmates.

Renault did mankind opps humankind an great service with the invention of the "hatchback"

Have just traded a 25 ( with working speedo, but never functioning fuel guage) on a Laguna.
    Little beats a 16. Such a good design. Mind you, we once shifted a full-size drying cabinet in an R4. The R4 is the prototype 16, but they made a few....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by reno1154
    You got a dealer to give you a trade on an R25?? Impressive bargaining!
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I drive a CX with no hatchback .... Fortunatly it has a towbar and 8x5 trailer that can swing off the back of it whenever required ... 'cos you can get sweet FA in the back of them (think a big square box and you have there boot).

Anyone for a R4/Acadiane Van Did they do a R25 wagon ?? The CX/DS wagons are immense bloody things with massive load areas (unlike the sedans). Best bit is you load 'em up with bags of cement and alike ... and they don't drag there arses up the road (they must be bloody strong to ... otherwise there owners would be bending them all the time by doing stupid things with load weights).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Citroen invented the hatchback long before Renault ........

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petermelb
    Citroen invented the hatchback long before Renault ........
    Yeah the Traction Avant Commerical with the hatchback rear doors ... However the R16 was the first mass produced 'smartly' designed hatchback in a small car that all others have basically copied.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I miss my old fuego for the amount and size of stuff I could get in the back. I carried lots of ladders around inside it (while taking care of the cloth upholstery),and also toted a surprising number of polyester batts in one load. But it was great during the organic rubbish collection or at any other time when you'd see something on the side of the road, back up, fold down the back seats, and in would go leadlight doors, great chunks of native timber,- all sorts of funky and useful stuff that needed rescuing. The greatest hour for the fuego's hatch cavity was when I spotted a huge sideboard someone had put out on the footpath - it was a film prop - made for 'Xena' or 'Hercules', by the looks of it - kind of gothic, kind of colonial, kind of egyptian (picture it if you can !) -it was 2.6 metres high - a real stunner in gold, red and deep blue - I rushed home and got a fried to help me lift it into the back of the fuego - that was a bit of a grunt, but we got it in there - it hung out the back a little (well maybe more than a little) - but I got it home, and its still in the living room now. A damn good score that was!

Speaking of early hatch backs - I hate to mention it, but the Austin A40 Farina was kind of getting there in its own way (pity about the rust and the lack of power)
    BTW its a 1939 Panhard Autobus, and if you look very carefully there's a Citroen Traction (approx 1 pixel x 1pixel), approaching from behind the guy who's about to get on the bus.

The A40 Farina was similar to the Hillman Imp in that it had an opening rear window. It made a lot of sense for a two door car, I don't know why more manufacturers didn't follow suit.

The Mini should have been a hatch, but only one experimental one was ever made, sadly. However, since the rear windows have latches with pins that can easily be removed, it's common to be able to load the back seat through these anyway.

But as far as hatchbacks are concerned, there is simply nothing more practical, or basic, than the R4, in my opinion.

Open the big rectangular door and access the large, almost cubical, space. Load in huge amounts of stuff, and still be able to sit in the driver's seat.

I remember picking up a 2 litre Toyota motor for a friend's Corona. We took the old one out, then after determining that it was stuffed, took off to the wreckers in the R4. They used a fork truck to put the replacement donk in the back, and we drove it on the bump stops all the way home. We slid it out of the back on a couple of planks, then hoisted it straight into the Coronary. The Mate was simply astounded, especially when he looked at the R4 from behind (after loading) and realised the rear arms were sort of bent a bit. (Negative camber rear end anyone?)

Functional, bulletproof and still fun to drive. What more could anyone want?

And as far as moving large amounts of stuff goes. I clearly recall the day we moved into the house we currently occupy. I hired a small truck for the bulky stuff such as white goods and beds. The rest of the house full of belongings was stacked in a fleet consisting of: 1 R4, 1 R5, 3 R16's and a box trailer behind an EH Holden panel van!

Those were the days!

Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

It was running joke at the local feed store when I was a kid - how many hay bales could Mum fit in the back of the R4? The answer is lots
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information