RS Clio mods (ECU, exhaust and Ik) completed
  • Register
  • Help

Default RS Clio mods (ECU, exhaust and Ik) completed

Hi there,

Just thought I would post pics and some info on the mods I have just completed on my 172 Mk2.

I did a lot of research, and 100's of emails later, phase 1 of my mods are complete.

I started off installing a 2.5 inch stainless exhaust system, including a high flow cat. I have a Scorpion muffler.

Next was the ITG Maxogen, as shown. I ran a 70mm intake hose from where the fog light used to be, removed the acoustic valve so the hose would fit, and ran it straight to the maxogen.

Advertisement

I then ordered and installed a Renault Sport ECU (Group N) from www.clio-power.org.

Mark was very helpful and answered all my questions, he suggested the mods above. The guy has raced clio's for ages, he knows what he is talking about.

I finally installed the ECU on the weekend, and what can I say.. It's a totally different car!

Heaps more torque and pull throughout the range. The 7800 rpm limiter is awesome. It just keeps going, the large exhaust and IK help the engine breath more at this point. When you change gear, the revs stay up above the 5800-6000 rpm range.

Drivability and throttle response have improved dramatically. Even my 17 inch wheels just want to spin when changing up. There are no more flat spots, I found it used to bog down on low revs, and go no where around the limiter.

2nd gear now revs to 110 km/h. The car sounds awesome! Nice deep roaring sound, and the popping from the exhaust when you let go of the pedal is a nice bonus.

I did a dyno run before I did these mods, it managed 134 HP (100 kw) at the wheels, and 140 lb/ft ( 189.60 nm) of torque. I'll scan the sheet when I do my next run, which should be soon. I'm not expecting huge gains, drivability and throttle response is hard to measure I guess.

Next on my plans is to order a modified inlet manifold from the U.K, and a fast road set of CAMS, then get it re-mapped using the SMT6. This should see it up around the 200 bhp mark, but more importantly, a heap more torque (170+ lb/ft or 230 nm)

I hope this helps you guys, if you have any questions, please fire away. I'll even let you guys take it for a spin on the next drive day in Melbourne, so you can see what I am talking about.

Oh, and it starts first time! And didn't pay any import tax for the maxogen or the ecu.

It now starts first time! i also didn't pay any import tax.

Cheers.

portal

It will be interesting to see the results of the dyno runs as the project progresses! It sounds like a fairly similar conversion to the Morego Clio 202 featured in October Evo magazine Their claim for the airbox/cat back exhaust/ECU was an extra 14bhp, to 194bhp the cams adding the extra icing on the cake to get it to 202. Yours sounds like it may just go a step further again.

RS Clio 202 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by portal
    Hi there,

Just thought I would post pics and some info on the mods I have just completed on my 172 Mk2.

I did a lot of research, and 100's of emails later, phase 1 of my mods are complete.

I started off installing a 2.5 inch stainless exhaust system, including a high flow cat. I have a Scorpion muffler.

Next was the ITG Maxogen, as shown. I ran a 70mm intake hose from where the fog light used to be, removed the acoustic valve so the hose would fit, and ran it straight to the maxogen.

I then ordered and installed a Renault Sport ECU (Group N) from www.clio-power.org.

Mark was very helpful and answered all my questions, he suggested the mods above. The guy has raced clio's for ages, he knows what he is talking about.

I finally installed the ECU on the weekend, and what can I say.. It's a totally different car!

Heaps more torque and pull throughout the range. The 7800 rpm limiter is awesome. It just keeps going, the large exhaust and IK help the engine breath more at this point. When you change gear, the revs stay up above the 5800-6000 rpm range.

Drivability and throttle response have improved dramatically. Even my 17 inch wheels just want to spin when changing up. There are no more flat spots, I found it used to bog down on low revs, and go no where around the limiter.

2nd gear now revs to 110 km/h. The car sounds awesome! Nice deep roaring sound, and the popping from the exhaust when you let go of the pedal is a nice bonus.

I did a dyno run before I did these mods, it managed 134 HP (100 kw) at the wheels, and 140 lb/ft ( 189.60 nm) of torque. I'll scan the sheet when I do my next run, which should be soon. I'm not expecting huge gains, drivability and throttle response is hard to measure I guess.

Next on my plans is to order a modified inlet manifold from the U.K, and a fast road set of CAMS, then get it re-mapped using the SMT6. This should see it up around the 200 bhp mark, but more importantly, a heap more torque (170+ lb/ft or 230 nm)

I hope this helps you guys, if you have any questions, please fire away. I'll even let you guys take it for a spin on the next drive day in Melbourne, so you can see what I am talking about.

Oh, and it starts first time! And didn't pay any import tax for the maxogen or the ecu.

It now starts first time! i also didn't pay any import tax.

Cheers.

portal
    Sounds good, would be nice to see the dyno figures.
    04' GTi 180

Tadpole

Default Clio power

How is the fuel economy now?
    Where is the exhaust from?
    How much was ECU?
    What about star chip as used by morego?
    Or piggy back ECU for further tuning ?

cheers

1000+ Posts

hmmm i'd never raise the rev limiter, i figured they put it at that for a reason!

Did you consider the Quad Throttle Body path?
    it would've been my choice if i went down there with the old RS Clio, now i've just got boost, RWD & a mid engine *sigh*.

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    now i've just got boost, RWD & a mid engine *sigh*.
    Tough life Nathan.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

now i've just got boost, RWD & a mid engine
    Its probably there for warranty purposes. But as usual there will always be people who want to push the envelope by raising the rev limiter, just like there will always be people trying to raise the bar as to power through the front wheels.

Id say you have chosen the better route though, it will always be a classic.

now i've just got boost, RWD & a mid engine *sigh*.
    Keeping us in suspense, sounds like an MR2.
    04' GTi 180

Thread Information