Blown dashboard resistor
  • Register
  • Help

Default Blown dashboard resistor

I read about it in the past, now I'm victim to this. What's the purpose, Ohms value and Wattage of the resistor to the upper right of the tacho on the Fuego dash circuit board? I know it has a tendency to blow but I don't recall what it's for. This all started with the need to dismantle the dash to straighten out the needles. As Iwas gently bending one straight, it snapped ... so did I.

Advertisement

Now I have some finely balanced toothpicks superglued to what remains of the needle bodies. I know, I know, I can pick up some Commodore needles at the wrecker's but that would be a new experience for me and there's too much tiling to do at home.

Anyway, now I have to sort out what this resistor is and replace it if critical. I also have to work out what +/- lines carry the tacho signal so I can calibrate the new wooden needles with a handhelp analyser/tacho.

Any help on both points would be joyously received.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego dash console circuit resistor

Gonz

Just pulled out an instrument panel the only resistor I can see on the panel circuit looks to be soldered on the inside of the circuit and connects between the brake and oil fault lights.? is this the one you mean?

Ken

Default Blown Resistor behind tacho guage

Ah, Ken, glad to spot you there. I was really hoping you'd be around.
    The resistor is horizontally placed above the leftmost of the two yellow capacitors around the SN96527N IC. It left a little brown stain in the white surround and distorted the guage surface edge ever so slightly, not visible when the dash is assembled.

Another way to describe its location is that it sits horizontally just below and between the two rightmost bulb compartments along the top of the dash (although the very last is empty). This is on the same board that has two adjustment trimpots accessible from the side.

The other piece of the puzzle is to work out which lines are which on the plastic strip that connects to the back of the tacho itself, so I can work out how to hook up my handheld tacho. The alternative is to identify these in the engine bay.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 19th December 2005 at 03:37 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Instrument panerl inner circuit

Gonz

Now got the picture, but when I pulled out the tacho to expose the circuit giess what the resister immediately above the yellow square capacitor is also blown!!

Will now go and look at others and see if I can find one intact!! (now I know where to look for it!!

You are in luck this one is intact! has a grey greenish perhaps grey base colour shaped like a small cotton reel on left end is a narrow brown band, then a slightly wider green band, then a black band, a gold band, a brown band and on the other end a wide red band.

Note the green band was hard for me to distinguish as I am slightly grey/green colour blind, but I could just pick up the green ring.

Hope this helps.

Default Colour code appears too long

Gee, Ken, that's a pretty long code. Four bands I can live with. Depending on which end I start with, it's either 15 ohms or 2.1 ohms but both these values seem too low for its probable application. I wonder whether it has any connection to the warning lamps because I've been very low on fuel and the warning lamp came on only once very long ago.

Anyway, the fact that yours was also blown means we can live without it.

Any wisdom on the tacho wiring? I probed the four lines that feed the tacho and got 12V, 0V, 8V and 8V from top to bottom. Can anyone relate these reading s back to the classic tacho connections.

I'm just about to probe those with the engine running anyway so I should be able to either fry something or work this out.

-------------------

Update - I probed the bottom line and got an idle of around 450 rpm. Now I'll reconnect the in-dash tacho and see whether the same is indicated, although I think I'll adjust idle to something more like 1000 to make comparing easier. Then I plan to make successive adjustments to the speedo based on 100Km at 3000rpm or 60Km at 2000rpm (in fifth gear). Does this sound reasonable, Ken?
    Last edited by The Gonz; 19th December 2005 at 04:20 PM.

'05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Instrument rear of tacho circuit.

Hopefully this clip will help identify the resistor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blown dashboard resistor-fuego-instrument-circuit-rear-tacho.jpg   Blown dashboard resistor-fuego-instrument-circuit-rear.jpg   Blown dashboard resistor-fuego-instrument-circuit-rh-rear.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 19th December 2005 at 08:24 PM.

Default Thanks, Ken!

Thanks, mate. Spot on. Looks like 15ohms after all. No clues to what it does yet but the car runs without it, as we both know.

Here are the images of the dash, wooden needles and burnt resistor.
    Dash1
    Dash2

I put the negative of the handheld tacho on the brake pedal arm and the positive to the lower 8V line feeding the in-dash tacho. I got 450 rpm in cold idle (no autochoke on mine, remember?) but it seems lower than I expected. I thought I'd have trouble even keeping it idling at that rate. Anyway, unless I get better advice on the tacho setup, I'm up for some laps of the block and some days of cautious fine tuning on the side of the road.

The last time I did that I had borrowed a handheld GPS receiver and pushed the needle on just as I was doing 60kph. The crazy things we do ...
    -----------------------
    Update: The in-dash tacho wanted only three of those four lines - no corresponding track on the circuit board. From memory, when I fitted a factory tacho to the Commodore I had the same setup: 12, -ve coil and ground, so the 8V line I chose was probably the way to go. I suspect a couple of lines in the loom connecting at the back of the ignition module in the engine bay will include the tacho pickup. Can anyone confirm which? It would certainly be worthwhile knowing this and calibrating the Fuego's tacho safely in the carport - then I can get on with calibrating the speedo based on my 60/2000 formula.

In the meantime I'll have a go at good old-fashioned continuity testing to resolve this myself - I sometimes get into the groove of asking all these questions and conveniently forget to investigate these myself. Apologies for that.

BTW, the in-post editing is a nifty new feature - this forum just keeps getting better, doesn't it?
    Last edited by The Gonz; 19th December 2005 at 06:09 PM.

My tacho is quite inacurate, acording to the X25.its greatest area of inaccurecy is at idle, where the tacho reads 1200, but the engine is doing 790.It is more accurate at higher revs,luckily.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Pity you are not just around the corner!!

Gonz

Not my field of expertise this electrickery stuff, but I am sure we could work our way through it -sort of like

Next time you are over here, you need to photocopy some of this electrical stuff and take it home with you!!

Now Europa come up with the definitive circuit, I'm sure you must have it somewhere

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego Dashboard Connectors

Gonz

These are the dashboard connectors

30. Connector No 1 Instrument panel

31. Connector No 2 Instrument panel

32. Connector No 3 Instrument panel

33. Connector No 4 Instrument panel

You would probably need copies of the wiring sheets to work these back to the connecting components code is wiring # (126) then colour code of wire, (B= blue diameter of wire(2= 9/10) and unit it goes to (80)(Junction block engine harness)
    Often the colour of the wires is faded and it is hard to follow.!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blown dashboard resistor-fuego-instrument-connections-two.jpg   Blown dashboard resistor-fuego-instrument-connectors-r1363-1981.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 19th December 2005 at 11:00 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default 1981 I.S. note marked for model R1363

This is from the 1980 IS note 5A is marked 1981 Model R. 1363
    May vary slightly for Auto and Manual specs and Australian specs.

Connector 30 positions used.
    1-
    2- 105(?) N2 Black wire, 9/10 size, 91= wire junction brake pad wear warning light wires
    3- 95 (?) R2 Red wire 9/10 size 47 =junction block front harness and accessories plate
    4- 99 Dashboard earth, B2 Black wire 9/10 size 80 = junction block front and engine harness
    5- 103 (?) Or1 Orange wire 7/10 size 81= junction block front and rear harnesses
    6- 28 heating ventilating fan motor Bc2 Blue wire, 9/10 size, 48 = junction block front harness and accessories plate also 29, Instrument panel, Bc2 White wire 9/10 size, 106 = rear foglight switch

Connector 31 positions used
    1- 68 LH rear light assembly J4 Yellow wire 12/10 size, 99 = dashboard earth and 69 RH rear light assembly, N2 black wire 9/10 size, 35 = rear screen demisting switch
    2-
    3-
    4- 126 (?) R1 Red wire 7/10 size, 59 = Lighting switch
    5- 21 Oil pressure switch B1Blue wire 7/10 size 59 = Lighting switch
    6- 61 (?) R1 Red wire 7/10 size 35 = rear screen demister switch
    7- 400 (?) V4 Green wire 12/10 size 247 = wire junction – additional driving lights switch
    8- 104 (?) N2 Black wire 9/10 size, 81= junction block front and rear harnesses and 105 (?) R2 Red wire 9/10 size 27 = master cylinder
    9 - 100 (?) Or2 Orange wire 9/10 size 80 = junction block front and engine harnesses

Connector 32 positions used
    1- 96 (?) N2 Black wire 9/10 size 210 = junction block engine front and integral electronic ignition harnesses and 97 (?) N2 Black wire 9/10 size 18 = Ignition coil
    2-
    3- 51 (?) Bc1White wire 7/10 size 46= junction block front harness and accessories plate
    4- 119 (?) Or1 Orange wire 7/10 size 80= junction block front and engine harnesses.
    5- 52 stop lights switch, N1 black wire 7/10 size 34= Hazard warning light switch.
    6- 107 (?) Bc2 White wire 9/10 size 106 = rear foglight switch
    7- 122 (?) N2 Black wire 9/10 size 71= Reversing lights switch
    8- 127 (?) M2 Maroon wire 9/10 size 81 = junction block front and rear harnesses
    9-
    10-94 (?) R2 Red wire 9/10 size 47 = junction block front harness and accessories plate

Connector 33 positions used
    1- 101 (?) N1 Black wire 7/10 80 = junction block front and engine harnesses
    3 102 (?) N1 Black wire 7/10 size 80 (as above)

Harness A = engine front

Default Thanks, Ken, Jo.

Thanks, Ken. Heaps of info. You're right about getting a copy of the schematics. We'll have to arrange some 2006 contact, methinks. There must be SOME sort of Defence/Software/Training event in Melbourne - or I'll convene one!

Jo, I'll certainly take your word on the inaccuracy. I wouldn't trust until it started getting around 1500 myself. Do you concur with the 60kph/2krpm ratio? If I don't get that right, I won't have much of a reference point. Incidentally, where do you hook up the X25 to pick up the tacho pulse? I could use that same point, perhaps or are you doing all this on EFI? Anyway, might still be relevant.

I drove around all day today in mid-30s heat to collect the bits for my son's PC upgrade. Athlon dual core 3800+ on a Gigabyte K8N dual-SLI mobo with 1G RAM, two 256M 6600GT video cards and a 250G SATAII HDD, all housed in one of those fancy black Thermaltake cases. Do you think he'll be smiling this Chrismas?

The dash was just propped up where I could see it with the shroud loosely balanced on top to keep the sun off the dials. No idea what speeds I was doing, just sheepishly kept pace with the rest of the traffic

Hey, look out for Advoc5te. We did our first degrees together at RMIT. He just abandoned his Italian folly and bought a French car. Hehe - small world.
    Last edited by The Gonz; 20th December 2005 at 05:39 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default Whose Chrissie present??

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    Thanks, Ken. Heaps of info. You're right about getting a copy of the schematics. We'll have to arrange some 2006 contact, methinks. There must be SOME sort of Defence/Software/Training event in Melbourne - or I'll convene one!
    I drove around all day today in mid-30s heat to collect the bits for my son's PC upgrade. Athlon dual core 3800+ on a Gigabyte K8N dual-SLI mobo with 1G RAM, two 256M 6600GT video cards and a 250G SATAII HDD, all housed in one of those fancy black Thermaltake cases. Do you think he'll be smiling this Chrismas?.

Sounds like you had just as much fun "anticipating" the rebuild of his computer and getting the parts - christmas came early methinks!!

I have a feeling we will see each other a few times in 2006 - might even have a small professional job for you

Default fuego dash

hi all just to let you know i have a good dash you can have if you get a chance to pick it up from my work.ill bring it and leave it there on the off chance you pop pastps i be working this sat if that helps regards tim k

Default Yippee!

Golly gosh! Could it be I might get a chance at some genuine needles to replace the toothpicks? Gee, Tim, I may just have to head that way. Besides, I've kept putting off a visit and it's high time I came good and dropped by.

Sorry about the delay, but with a major exercise overseas in January (training, not operational, so no state secrets here), I've been flat out.

Are you taking time off over Christmas or doing the workaholic thing?

Hello, this is Gonz Jr. My dads going crazy over this tacho thing! Will all the fuego drivers reply with how many revs they do at 100 KM/h (so he can stop fixating about his red little sports car).

Cheers, Gonz Jr

Quote Originally Posted by The Gonz
    Hello, this is Gonz Jr. My dads going crazy over this tacho thing! Will all the fuego drivers reply with how many revs they do at 100 KM/h (so he can stop fixating about his red little sports car).

Cheers, Gonz Jr
    Unfortunatly I dont drive through any hundred zones often,and am not about to risk my licence on double demerit points, but I took some notes driving home today,and man,is it difficult to do whilst on your own.
    sorry about the eratic meathod, but it is a pretty acurate guide on what my speedo/tacho read.
    2nd gear. 40kmh=3000rpm
    70kmh=5000rpm
    3rd gear. 63kmh=3000rpm
    70kmh=3250rpm
    4th gear. 60kmh=2100rpm
    70=2500
    80=2800
    90=3100.
    Hope this can be of some help,Gonz Jr.
    Jo

Gonz... if your son is not smiling over the computer upgrade... They'd make me smile.

Regarding the burnt resistor,,, blowed if I can find out what SN96527N does. SN is a Texas Instruments chip I think but cant get any info on it.

What is the writing on the component two to the left of the IC situated between a brown ceramic and a yellow plastic capacitor. It is directly below the left hand end of the burnt out resister. I suspect it is a voltage regulater or a transister set up as a regulater as it is near what appears to be rear of two spade connectors that has the 12v feed for the circuit board.

Also.. the ribbon cable that comes from behind the board at the left hand end.. where does that go to?

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Default Thanks, Ken, Jo, Decca.

Thanks, guys. Hope you're having a good Christmas. We got the Athlon (officially called "Beast" now) together in one sitting - despite all those PC builds I've done as a matter of routine, I've never had to risk screwing up hardware up to $1600 worth (not counting military stuff)...so I was relieved to have it work first go.

Jr is glued to his new beast playing all those graphics-intensive games he hasn't been able to load until now.

I'll get back to the dash when I finish slapping together half a dozen PIIIs so I can sell/store/give away some complete systems and make some space. Besides, I'm not driving around much right now. Jo, those figures are priceless. I'll assume your ratios are the same as mine although I also have a fifth gear. If anyone sees this strategy as a mistake, yell out.

Once again, enjoy the Christmas break and gear up for a great New Year!

Sorry about the lack of fifth data,but I just could not generate it safely without loosing my licence.When i get the option of leaving the northern beaches with its nanna speed limits,I'll try and grab some of that data.
    The red fuego,that I just purchased has had some new needles put on, but they are way off the mark.There is a guy i use in brookvale,Jason Baverstock,from Manly Auto Instrument Repair,02 9939 4114 who is quite farmilliar with the fuego dash, as he has done at least five that I know of, and is reasnable on the price.He charged $100 to supply and replace the needles, and re-build the trip meter.I'll be taking my new cluster to him to calabrate,as I just could not be bothered doing all that fiddly in car calabrations.It was hard enough just getting those figures.
    There are two photo's that show the thicker,wedge shape needles that jason put on the silver fuego,and the thinner ones that have come with the new purchase.
    jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blown dashboard resistor-silver.jpg   Blown dashboard resistor-img_444.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Default Original or close to

The
    one on the left hand side picture appears to be pretty close to the originals (apart from the originals are usually bowed to one side over the years)those on the right appear to be the ford type replacements.

Ken

Default Tacho/Speedo Reference

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    Sorry about the lack of fifth data,but I just could not generate it safely without loosing my licence.When i get the option of leaving the northern beaches with its nanna speed limits,I'll try and grab some of that data.
    Gee, Jo, I didn't think it would be that hard, or maybe I'm the only Fuegoist to do 60 Km/h in 5th. BTW a bit of duff gen in my previous posts. When doing 60 in 5th I used to have the needle sit below and just clear of the tacho 20 when the speedo showed 60 Km/h. This is more like 1880 rpm. Therefore it stands to reason I was sitting on 3100 rpm for the 100Km/h.

Does this look reasonable? I was never booked on this since the GPS calibration nearly 3 years ago, so I'm happy to have mates who owe me favours drive alongside and signal when we're doing 60, then tweak the speedo for 60 and the tacho for 1880. Besides there may be differences between cars based on tyre profiles, perhaps.

Here's a good vote of confidence from an Argentinian site:
    1st gear (3.818 ratio) - 10kph=1394rpm 20=2787 30=4181 40=5575
    2nd (2.176) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 20=1589 30=2383 40=3177 50=3971 60=4766 70=5560
    3rd (1.409) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 20=1029 30=1543 40=2057 50=2572 60=3086 70=3600 80=4115 90=4629 100=5143
    4th (1.030) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 30=1127 40=1504 50=1880 60=2256 70=2632 80=3008 90=3384 100=3760
    5th (0.861) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 40=1257 50=1571 60=1886 70=2200 80=2514 90=2829 100=3143
    top speed (5th) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XX 175=5500 - test this one, mate!
    Last edited by The Gonz; 6th January 2006 at 03:56 AM.

Thread Information