Fuego Window Wiper Linkage Bearing Help Please!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Fuego Window Wiper Linkage Bearing Help Please!

sigh as if i didnt have enough stuff going on in my life at the moment, my wipers have packed up. i noticed that the linkage is made up of two moving arms. they meet in the middle with a ball joint. well, it appareas that the circular bearing that goes over the ball is dead and pops out. anybody know where i can get one of these bearings? id like to get one asap as i might have to travel interstate. thanks!

Advertisement

I've had this problem many times. Replacing the plastic baring never seems to help. It keeps popping of. I just replaced the whole assembly. Not hard to do. Just remove your 2 wipers and it should just slide out.
    1984 Renault Fuego 2.2L Turbo

1000+ Posts

Default Fuego windscreen wiper nylon link ends

Quote Originally Posted by rage_rman
    I've had this problem many times. Replacing the plastic baring never seems to help. It keeps popping of. I just replaced the whole assembly. Not hard to do. Just remove your 2 wipers and it should just slide out.
    Ken at Carravelle had some longer arm links that the new nylon ends will fit the Fuego linkage - While you could shorten the longer link and then weld the join I have found it easier to prise open the Fuego metal link arm and remove the old nylon snap on bearing and do the same to the other link arm.

Take the new nylon ends and fit them to the Fuego arm (squeeze the metal of the link back to hold the lugs on the nylon and voila - no more problems.

have done two Fuegos like this and its a five minute job to change them over and they have been trouble free since.

Wish I could source just the nylon ends instead of buying a linkage from another car for donor parts as I often wonder if by doing so I am causing an eventual shortage of parts for that particular car

If anyone has a source for bulk purchase of the ends I would be happy to learn of that source and work with Ken at Carravelle to ensure supplies for the future.

Edit - rage-erman as far as I know we can't source the proper length Fuego replacement links in Australia any more, thats the reason we do the swap.
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 16th December 2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: replacement parts not available in Australia to my knowledge

The ball joint thingy on the wiper motor is the one that goes often (all that circular motion...), but it is the same as the other joints that dont wear as much. So, find an assembly at your local wrecker to use as a source of joints, and swap them over as Ken descibed. Very easy fix
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Take the option of replacing the whole unit if you can.Any wear in any of the moving parts or anchor points will cause the new joints to break or pop off,and this will of course happen in the worst possible time to be geting out of your car to pop it back again.Be realy careful with the wiper arms,too.They are of the age where the plastic snaps instead of flexing.Sometimes the fuego will rust under the holes where the spindle sticks out,causing a deformation in the whole unit and leading to premature brakage.This must be fixed, properly,or you will have trouble.Again,just replacing a single joint will not cure this problem.If this is the case when attempting to rust repair, make sure the drain hole works, or the windscreen will leak if you nose is pointed high,leading to electrical problems.For finger safety, make sure you disable the electrical system before working on the wiper unit.
    Jo

Thread Information