Turbo bonnets on Fuegos
  • Register
  • Help

Default Turbo bonnets on Fuegos

Hey all,

Advertisement

I have been a watcher for a little and felt it time to start asking the questions i have. I own a Fuego, have for a while now, and absolutly love my car. It has excellent interior perfect exterior but i want to get the most performance-wise. I am looking at fitting a turbo to the car but as i said it has perfect paint work and i dont want to have to fit a turbo bonnet. Is it possible to fit a turbo under the standard bonnet? If not what is the difference between the performance of a turbo and the 2.2L R25 engine. I assume that you can fit the 2.2L under the bonnet.

Thanks in advance

Mini G

As far as I know the turbo bonnet is the same as a standard one, and your in luck as way back in the dark past of renault australia they got in a wrong shipment of fuego bonnets, turbo ones so at the time you could put on the turbo bonnet quite easy.... as time has pasted I suppose you have to find a secondhand one... but they have to be around.....

So I hope I am right about all this.... but I am pretty sure both bonnet versions are the same....
    http://www.fuego.lanex.us/6soukr.htm

Last edited by Covert; 15th December 2005 at 12:59 AM.

Does that mean that i can fit the turbo under my standard bonnet? If so great!

Mini G

Quote Originally Posted by minigordini
    Does that mean that i can fit the turbo under my standard bonnet? If so great!

Mini G

Well now you see I am getting out of my depth and need one of the many fuego experts here.... I meant that you can fit a fuego turbo bonnet on your standard fuego, on the other hand I would have thought that the turbo pipes for the fuego would be the reason for the raised bonnet, but then again if it's a custom turbo anything is possible.

But I would wait for the right fuego experts tech talk angle on this question...

Administrator

Default Turbo Bonnets...

I believe that the bonnets that are on some repaired OZ Fuego's are actually from the 2.0L Turbo Diesel engined variants...

The Fuego Turbo (petrol) is only 1.6L in capacity and is physically much smaller in size. It runs the same bonnet as the normal 2.0L GTX. I have several Fuego Turbo brochures spanning the entire model run and they all have the normal bonnet fitted...

The diesel engined variants ran a 2.0L engine that required the bulge in the bonnet to clear the physically taller head...

This is the only Turbo Diesel image I could find after a quick google but I have a press picture at home somewhere of a TD Fuego which has the bulged bonnet:

Note the extra vents on each side of the bumper also...

I am not sure what bonnet the US spec Fuegos had from the factory, but the bulged bonnet is most defenitely NOT from a Euro petrol Turbo model...

How cool would it be to find and put one of those 2.0L Turbo Diesel motors in.

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

It'd be interesting, but I don't believe the performance was terribly good...
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

My initial thoughts were to ask why you prefer the the flat rather than the lumped bonnet, but obviously this is your preference.I would think if you are fitting a turbo to a 2L fuego, a little lump or not in your bonnet is going to be the least of your worrries, as neither is going to make any difference(unless the increase torque rips the engine from its mounts )
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Default Just wants to keep his perfect bonnet I think

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi
    My initial thoughts were to ask why you prefer the the flat rather than the lumped bonnet, but obviously this is your preference.I would think if you are fitting a turbo to a 2L fuego, a little lump or not in your bonnet is going to be the least of your worrries, as neither is going to make any difference(unless the increase torque rips the engine from its mounts )
    Jo
    Jo

I think that Minigordini just wants to keep his already perfect finished paintwork compatible bonnet, rather than have to go through repainting and altering the line.

Some seem to prefer those raised bonnets and there are plenty of them around. Its what you get used to I suppose.

I am sure that if he is careful in the development of the turbo conversion he can ensure there is adequate clearance, and if the engine mounts are kept in good order the flatter bonnet wont suffer restyling from within.!!

The Mistarenno front mount conversion will assist in de-stressing the side engine mounts in 'normal" operation.

Quote Originally Posted by minigordini
    Hey all,

I have been a watcher for a little and felt it time to start asking the questions i have. I own a Fuego, have for a while now, and absolutly love my car. It has excellent interior perfect exterior but i want to get the most performance-wise. I am looking at fitting a turbo to the car but as i said it has perfect paint work and i dont want to have to fit a turbo bonnet. Is it possible to fit a turbo under the standard bonnet? If not what is the difference between the performance of a turbo and the 2.2L R25 engine. I assume that you can fit the 2.2L under the bonnet.

Thanks in advance

Mini G
    The Fuego Turbo definitely DID have the bulged bonnet fitted (on the later cars anyway!) They were not released with them originally (1984 model year), but came out in with them in 1985 model year. My 1984 Turbo has the standard bonnet but I can see why they changed it. On top the engine is a black "plug thing!" which fits in by mere millimetres (see picture above). I imagine they found that the clearance was too close and fitted the bulged bonnet from the turbo diesel to avoid any problems. As it didn't change until 1985, I would assume US Turbos also had the standard bonnet. I thought of changing it to the more manly bulge (I have one off a 1986 Turbo), but on thinking about it, it breaks up the cars profile so i didn't. Renault only supply the bulged bonnets as new parts now. The 2.2L will fit (as used in the GTA Max in Argentina) and puts out 92kw. I would imagine that turbocharging the 2L engine would provide considerably more power than that!
    Last edited by nzrhysco; 15th December 2005 at 09:03 PM.

I had never seen the Fuego GTA Max.... what a good looking coupe....
    http://graduate.gradsch.uga.edu/archive/gallery12.htm
    I like the clear indicator lights they had...

That pic looks photoshoped. The tire doesn't fit in the wheel well. I have a lowered fuego and the tires if to low rub the upper fender with 205/50R15
    1984 Renault Fuego 2.2L Turbo

Is the white GTA max the victim of a kit, or did they all have the black side strakes replaced with body coloured flat panels?

If that pic isn't photo shopped, then he's at his max lock-to-lock turn, any further and it's goodbye guard and tyre!
    Last edited by Europa; 16th December 2005 at 12:09 PM.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

being one prone to an occasional dingle,There was a time when I was without a decent front on my fuego, and the GTA was certainly on the radar, with Ebay supplying all the parts.But At the end of the day, I happily believe that the best looking fuego for my money is a late aust GTX,with turbo bonet.Our bumpers have a nicer line,our black trim compliments the body line,and puts the cars build era into a more indefinable period.
    Alot of the class that lured me, drooling ,to a fuego as a 15 year old seems to be absent from the GTA.
    Jo

Default Fuego Turbo bonnets

Hi,
    This link is to Turbo with flat bonnet.
    It is owned by Bob Goddard who was authorised by both Puegeot and Renault to turbo models from new with full warranty. This was from Eurocars in South Perth.
    I have seen this car and it is very very good.
    http://www.clanmedia.com/fuego/index.cfm?pid=48&uid=58
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Thanks for all the replies they were more than helpful. Happy Fuego-ing

Fuego Turbo hoods are hard to find in canada. But they kinda look cool.
    1984 Renault Fuego 2.2L Turbo

Thread Information