Fuego Economy
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Fuego Economy

  1. #1
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default Fuego Economy

    G'day Guys and Gals,

    I just got back from SA (Mount Barker) today after visiting my SIL's new baby and I have to say, I was quite happy with the economy of the Fuego...

    On the way up I filled up in Melton and made it all the way to Mt Barker (667K according to the odometer) with only 2 food/drink stops...

    I wasn't really driving 'economically' and basically just cruised along at about 100kph for most of the trip...

    It took 53L when I filled it at Mount Barker...

    Did about the same (perhaps a little better) on the way home but didn't fill it up..

    On a side note...does anyone know exactly how big the fuel tank is on an Oz Fuego? 60L?

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Sense Pug307's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,355

    Default

    That's 7.95l/100km.

    Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,396

    Default

    Id put my money on 50L.
    Jo

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Haynes says 57 litres.
    Will check Aussie handbook and post later
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,396

    Default

    Just re read you post.and I change that to 55 L .
    I'll measure one tomorrow.its something I've wanted to know too.
    Jo

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Box Hill, victoria
    Posts
    69

    Default Economy of Renaults

    My '88 R25 auto regularly did 8.1 L/100 on that trip,same for Sydney trip. Average speed 100KPH for these trips.

    The 85 R25 manual showed 6.2 L/100 on the trip to Adelaide, and 6.4 on the return at a slightly higher average speed.

    My 2002 Laguna 2L manual shows 7.1 L/100 on any long trip, and about 8.5 around the outer suburbs. Did 6.6 L/100 one evening between Melbourne Airport and Templestowe, at an average speed of 82KPH.

    No wonder I enjoy my Renaults. Economy as well as safety, comfort and pride of owning something a bit different and a lot better.

    Anyone else out there with a 2L manual Laguna? Please PM for a chat.

    John Masefield

  7. #7
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMasefield
    My '88 R25 auto regularly did 8.1 L/100 on that trip,same for Sydney trip. Average speed 100KPH for these trips.

    The 85 R25 manual showed 6.2 L/100 on the trip to Adelaide, and 6.4 on the return at a slightly higher average speed.

    My 2002 Laguna 2L manual shows 7.1 L/100 on any long trip, and about 8.5 around the outer suburbs. Did 6.6 L/100 one evening between Melbourne Airport and Templestowe, at an average speed of 82KPH.

    No wonder I enjoy my Renaults. Economy as well as safety, comfort and pride of owning something a bit different and a lot better.

    Anyone else out there with a 2L manual Laguna? Please PM for a chat.

    John Masefield
    That's got to be the trip computer Have you ever worked it out over a full tank... I think you might be in for a surprise

    MistaRenaults sounds right, however Fuegos seem to go 'bad' and suddenly start drinking fuel at a frightening rate. I don't think we ever figured out what caused it.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  8. #8
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default Tank Capacity

    I just looked up the handbook and as posted by westair it says 57L 'useable capacity'

    I assume that's when the bowser does it's first click

    As I knew I was going to be using it all, I filled it right up and let it click a few times. It wasn't filled to the brim but I could see it at the bottom of the neck...

    Filled it to the same level at Mt Barker...

    Oh, BTW - I had just the one passenger and quite a bit of luggage...

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default

    According to handbook -useable fuel is 57 litres
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron
    Fuegos seem to go 'bad' and suddenly start drinking fuel at a frightening rate. I don't think we ever figured out what caused it.

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Fuego gauges are a bit weird and I assume it is related to the shape of the tank...

    On the way to Adelaide and back, the first 1/3 as indicated on the gauge disapeared in about 140k the middle 1/3 gets about 300k and the last 1/3 gets about 200k until the petrol light starts having a fit...

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default Checking MPG/LPK or ks re litre

    The only way is to check from full tank to refill- computers are a good guide but not as accurate.
    Also it pay to check your speedo between "mile/kilo pegs (Odo) to make sure of accuracy.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  12. #12
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westair
    The only way is to check from full tank to refill- computers are a good guide but not as accurate.
    Also it pay to check your speedo between "mile/kilo pegs (Odo) to make sure of accuracy.
    Yeah, I agree. I've seen some very dubious readings from trip computers...

    My odometer reads about right (according to my mates GPS) but the needle points about 5kph under on the speedo - 95 indicated = 100 actual (according to radar )

    I think the speedo is quite accurate, but when I replaced the needle, I put it on pointing too low ...

    I'll rip it out again and fix it....one day

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    Yeah, I agree. I've seen some very dubious readings from trip computers...

    My odometer reads about right (according to my mates GPS) but the needle points about 5kph under on the speedo - 95 indicated = 100 actual (according to radar )

    I think the speedo is quite accurate, but when I replaced the needle, I put it on pointing too low ...

    I'll rip it out again and fix it....one day
    If you have larger rolling diameter tyres you will get a slower speedo reading than true speed.
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! Ren25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I just drove an R25 from Gold coast - Perth 4300km 370 litres of pulp = 8.6l/100km @ 130km/h (most of the way)
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem


    2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,777

    Default Fuego fuel economy

    Glad you had a good trip Richard!

    Had a look in the cars handbook - Page 8 and 9 sets out how to drive the Fuego economically also they warn against driving at 100 kph (62 mph) with windows open will cost an extra 4 per cent fuel use - better to use ventilator system!

    Also up nine per cent fuel useage with an empty roof rack at 120 kph.

    Difference in driving at 90 kph and 120 kph can add 30 per cent to fuel useage!!

    At the rear of the handbook they quote the 1984 Renault Fuego UK official fuel economy certificate and recommend that the owners check fuel consumption over 3 tank fills to work out the average to avoid filling errors.

    Quoting only the GTX auto (no manual transmission figures given)

    Simulated urban driving
    GTX Auto 11.7 litres per 100 km or 24.1 miles per (imperial) gallon
    Turbo 10.5 litres per 100 km or 26.9 miles per imp. gallon

    Constant speed driving 90 kph (56 mph)
    GTX Auto 7.7 litres per 100 km or 36.7 m.p.g.
    Turbo 5.7 litres per 100 km or 49.6 m.p.g.

    Constant speed driving 120 kph (75 mph)
    GTX Auto 9.6 litres per 100 km or 29.6 m.p.g.
    Turbo 7.7 Litres per 100 km or 36.7 m.p.g.

    The sudden high fuel consumption for the Fuego is almost exclusively the failure to connect the heat transfer pipe that goes around the rear of the engine to the Filter pod and the lack of hot air feed freezes the carby/choke setting and your car slows, emits black exhaust smoke and slurps petrol - after a two minute stop engine heat restores settings and it will run ok for about 20 km then. does the same.

    If you have removed/disabled the bimetal choke system, or fitted a ford electric choke control you will probably get better mileage with carby properly tuned.

    Ken

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Box Hill, victoria
    Posts
    69

    Default Fuego economy

    Thanks Double Chevron for trip computer comments.

    Re the 2L manual Laguna, I have checked it several times against the petrol bowser, and the "mile" posts. It is VERY accurate. Far more accurate than the indicated speed on the speedo, which seems to be over-reading 7KPH at an indicated 110. ie really only 103KPH. No tickets so far.

    I say "seems" based on an average of the various overhead speed indicator boards, and also from re-setting the trip recorder, and then sitting on 110 for 10K. On asking the trip recorder for my average speed it says 103.

    I trust my trip recorder far more than my speedo!

    John Masefield.

  17. #17
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westair
    If you have larger rolling diameter tyres you will get a slower speedo reading than true speed.
    Yeah, very true except the rolling radius of my wheel/tyre is actually 6mm smaller (compared to the standard 185/65R14 of the Euro GTX) -

    205/45 R16 = 591
    185/65 R14 = 596

    The wider tyres would probably also have a rather negative aero effect on economy compared to the normal tyres...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    G'day Guys and Gals,

    I just got back from SA (Mount Barker) today after visiting my SIL's new baby and I have to say, I was quite happy with the economy of the Fuego...

    On the way up I filled up in Melton and made it all the way to Mt Barker (667K according to the odometer) with only 2 food/drink stops...

    I wasn't really driving 'economically' and basically just cruised along at about 100kph for most of the trip...

    It took 53L when I filled it at Mount Barker...

    Did about the same (perhaps a little better) on the way home but didn't fill it up..

    On a side note...does anyone know exactly how big the fuel tank is on an Oz Fuego? 60L?
    I would personally regard the Fuego's fuel gauge as borderline useless. Full and low fuel light seem to be the only accurate markers (I have 3 and they're all the same). It spends "5" minutes on full, "30"mins on half and the rest on almost empty. Thankfully all have trip computers which even though they're 20 years old, seem to be accurate to within a few litres.

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Westair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    I would personally regard the Fuego's fuel gauge as borderline useless. Full and low fuel light seem to be the only accurate markers (I have 3 and they're all the same). It spends "5" minutes on full, "30"mins on half and the rest on almost empty. Thankfully all have trip computers which even though they're 20 years old, seem to be accurate to within a few litres.

    How far do you go in the "5" minutes and "30" minutes
    1986 Renault Fuego GTX
    1972 Mercedes Benz 280E
    1988 Nissan Trakka Campervan
    1972 VW Kombi

    In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
    Harold Ganeen.

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    11,777

    Default Fuego - Fuel tank float partially sinks.

    Quote Originally Posted by nzrhysco
    I would personally regard the Fuego's fuel gauge as borderline useless. Full and low fuel light seem to be the only accurate markers (I have 3 and they're all the same). It spends "5" minutes on full, "30"mins on half and the rest on almost empty. Thankfully all have trip computers which even though they're 20 years old, seem to be accurate to within a few litres.

    nzrhysco - at least you have a trip computer - none of mine have this and when I checked one of my spare fuel tanks the other week I pulled out the sender unit and found the clear plastic float half full of fuel.

    Di's original car had its fuel tank replaced and when the tank unit was removed the float in that one was half full of fuel, so its no wonder that fuel gauge is not so accurate as I would assume that most clear plastic floats have the same problem.

    I am in the process of soldering a patch on that tank to keep it as a spare and will try and find/source a viable replacement float. Fortunately most of my cars have had working fuel gauges, but current drain on the electrical system, braking etc usually drops the gauge.

    I usually go full tank to full tank with my fuel fills anyway (except when the [email protected]@stards jack up the price sky high! ) and use the odometer reading to keep a check on the kilometres/economy so don't have too much worry from the slight effects - I don't love my cars any less, just work around it.

    If anyone has found a good float replacement, I'd be interested to hear with part numbers if known.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego
    nzrhysco - at least you have a trip computer - none of mine have this and when I checked one of my spare fuel tanks the other week I pulled out the sender unit and found the clear plastic float half full of fuel.

    Di's original car had its fuel tank replaced and when the tank unit was removed the float in that one was half full of fuel, so its no wonder that fuel gauge is not so accurate as I would assume that most clear plastic floats have the same problem.

    I am in the process of soldering a patch on that tank to keep it as a spare and will try and find/source a viable replacement float. Fortunately most of my cars have had working fuel gauges, but current drain on the electrical system, braking etc usually drops the gauge.

    I usually go full tank to full tank with my fuel fills anyway (except when the [email protected]@stards jack up the price sky high! ) and use the odometer reading to keep a check on the kilometres/economy so don't have too much worry from the slight effects - I don't love my cars any less, just work around it.

    If anyone has found a good float replacement, I'd be interested to hear with part numbers if known.



    Hehe
    I'm Rhys so you know lol. I used the "" to highlight an exaggeration. I find that the gauge falls to the half mark very quickly, then more slowly to the 1/3 position then sits on low for a long time before the light comes on. For that reason, I don't use the gauge because the computer provides a much more accurate readout from full to empty. Based on refilling and comparing with the petrol pump display, it seems to be accurate to within 3 litres. But to be honest though, how much i put in the car depends on whether my credit card has flipped into a new month! lol
    Last edited by nzrhysco; 15th December 2005 at 10:22 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •