Megane 225 Cup vs WRX vs Gti
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Megane 225 Cup vs WRX vs Gti

Latest Motor mag has a comparison of the 3 cars.

Seems like renault really haven't fixed the handling at all.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    Latest Motor mag has a comparison of the 3 cars.

Seems like renault really haven't fixed the handling at all.
    I'd wait for PCOTY to see how the megsy cup stacks up against the opposition.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Icon10

Perhaps there wasn't all that much worng with it in the first place. I certainly don't think its that bad.

Dave
    78 Fiat X1/9, Peugeot 406 ST, Peugeot 407 V6 SW

Previous:

05 Megane Turbo
    2x 89 405 Mi16
    67 404

Peugeot, Francais pour "Putain qu'c'est vite"[/FONT]

1000+ Posts

*sigh* here we go again...

Yes Mantra, Motor mag has all the definitive answers & is the biblical source of all information car related.

I guess you buy Subaru WRX for speed and handling and Renault Megane for style and badge name. But since they charge heaps for Renault maybe they should make it 4x4 so its more competitive with WRX.

Subaru WRX Hatch $41,440
    Megane Cup Turbo $42,990

Not heaps.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Fellow Frogger!

I'd wait for PCOTY to see how the megsy cup stacks up against the opposition.
    Ummm, what other opposition would you like it compared to?

Yes Mantra, Motor mag has all the definitive answers & is the biblical source of all information car related.
    Read the article yet?

The 225 cup performed badly on one of the fifth gear episodes.

225 Cup Road tested on Fifth Gear
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Subaru WRX Hatch $41,440
    Megane Cup Turbo $42,990

Not heaps.
    But performance wise you would be better off with WRX, thats why you pay for Renault badge. I of course would buy Renault if i had that much money, no matter that WRX is better sports car.

But with the Renault you get more refinement, quieter cruising and you don't have to wear a baseball cap backwards when driving ;-) ... it's all a matter of what you want - quite different cars really.
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Quote Originally Posted by nate
    *sigh* here we go again...Motor mag has all the definitive answers & is the biblical source of all information car related.
    I second that thought Nate!
    They are all good cars, I doubt I'd ever get the chance to take any of these cars to their limits to find out which one is marginally better, and after spending 45+grand on one, I don't think I'd want to!
    It's all a matter of choice, if I had the cash I'd naturally buy the Megane!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Icon10

you also don't pay as much in insurance on the Megane, & the cops don't pull you over every time it leaves the garage
    Aus

Gee Mantra! Haven't heard from you for such a long time....everyone must have been saying good things about renaults!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Shearer
    Perhaps there wasn't all that much worng with it in the first place. I certainly don't think its that bad.

Dave
    Perhaps indeed, what is true though you still end up with a Renault and a fat arsed one at that!... boy would i lurv that engine in an RCS!!!!! How hard can it be ??? they got the V6 Clio passed... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Well i have one .... and i drove the WRX & the GTI and Still bought the Megane.

The Megane is no race car, but for what it does ........ it does it really bloody well.

I love it... who cars what Motor says ....

An just look at the Cup .... how hot does it look .... you can see WRX's & Golfs all day every day .... But the Megane is special ....

Icon14 Motor Mag

Just read the artical, it just seems like the bias Motor MAG has against Holden regarding the Ford over the last couple of years. And I am not BIASED, ask my daughter. MERRY XMAS
    Peugeot 307 xsi
    Renault 225

TROLL ALERT
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Fellow Frogger!

Gee Mantra! Haven't heard from you for such a long time....everyone must have been saying good things about renaults!
    hmmm, more like nothing is being said about them

1000+ Posts

My bro again told me that the 225 Cup doesn't handle that well, and as he's owned cars from Alfa, Fiat, BMW to WRX, I tend to believe him - especially with him owning the car and obviously wanting to say it's great.

Best to stop taking the written word as an insult to your girlfriend, and consider whether you like the car and think you've got a good deal. That's all that matters.

I like the damn thing, and far prefer it to the WRX, despite the Rex's obvious competence.

Cheers

Wise old Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The WRX is a good package these days, but I would never own one as a daily driver mainly because of the image. I prefer owning Euro cars now for day to day use anyway, so I wouldn't really consider a WRX to begin with.

In saying that, I'm addicted to my Clio and mountain passes so it would probably take an Elise/Exige for me to find something more exciting at the moment
    2005 RENAULTsport Clio 182 Cup F1

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Australdi
    He'd probably also bag out Project Poochie & say its not that good either LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by JROGERS
    Just read the artical, it just seems like the bias Motor MAG has against Holden regarding the Ford over the last couple of years.
    I guess all the nice things they said about the handling of the RS Clio in their used car test in the same mag (and the RSC reference in the RSM comparo) much all be bias as well....

Let's face it, whenever a magazine says your fave car car is great, they are always right, whenever they slag your fave car off they are always wrong or biased.

As Wheels magazine used to say at the end of their comparos, "you pays yer money, you makes yer choice".

I suppose you are right simon, but I always wonder how can these dudes really have a grasp on reality when the car companies are giving them cars all the time on loan, and they are in a ferrari one week and a hyundai the next.... it would be hard to stay relevant.

Here's a VHS Renault RS Megane and Clio matchup with others...
    Head ON - Hot Saloons & Hatchbacks VHS

http://www.dukevideo.com/Cars/VHS/Ro...cks%20VHS.aspx

OUR PRICE: £12.99
    AVAILABILITY: In stock. Generally despatched within 1 - 2 working days.

Running Time: 60 minutes
    Format: PAL VHS
    Catalogue No: 3951

What do you look for in a car? A sense of fun, looks, great handling or the best value? We put the latest saloons and hot hatchbacks through their paces to find out how they perform on each level, head on.
    Former Eurosport commentator Richard Nichols runs you through the action, as the experts from Auto Express magazine and ITV’s World Rally commentator Robbie Head push these everyday cars to their limit on the Ty-Croes circuit in Wales. The aim - to find out whether you really need to spend an arm and a leg to be ensured lots of fun from your motor.
    They offer a cheeky yet candid examination of each car with an entertaining comparison of looks, power and performance. Cars featured include:
    - Renault Clio 182 - Subaru Impreza WR1
    - BMW 330 Cd - Renault Megane RS
    - Skoda Fabia vRS - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8 FQ-330
    - Honda Civic Type R - BMW M3 CSL
    - Audi S4 Cabriolet - Vauxhall Monaro
    - Mini Cooper S Works - MGZT 260
    But on-track performance is not the only yardstick – these are real-world cars, and all were put to the test on public roads by a mixture of drivers, both professional and amateur, to get you all the dirt on these machines.
    This DVD is ultimately about fun, and getting the most for your money! So if you want to know what came out on top, you’ve come to the right place!

Quote Originally Posted by Covert
    Here's a VHS Renault RS Megane and Clio matchup with others...
    Head ON - Hot Saloons & Hatchbacks VHS
    So how is this video more relevant than Motor magazine? Or an actual real world punter test driving cars they are interested in and finding out what suits them best?

Sounds like more self indulgent entertainment to me.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by mantra
    hmmm, more like nothing is being said about them
    ....except that they took out the F1 (cue "we are the champions by renault V10 please Mr music)

& Nate...I suspect he'd be jealous just like the rest of us, except he'd rather swallow glass or drive a golf (cart)than admit it
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Pffft I wouldn't take Motor seriously if it was the last car magazine in the world.
    Its so boring to read that magazine, just full of Holdens and Fords, occational mentions of WRX and Evo. They've seriously lost their plot.
    Check out the UK mags instead coz they're not too biased to the WRX, they look at the cars more evenly before any comparo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information