Scenic Rx4...more then happy.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Scenic Rx4...more then happy.

Took the Rx4 on the first major journey today, down to R17G's place in the Gold Coast hinterland. We couldn't be happier with it. Average fuel usage for the trip was about 7.9l/100km. That is much better than I expected with 3 on board and the a/c on all the time. The trip averaged between 110km/h and 60km/h.
    The posted figures for the Scenic at time of sale were 9.5l/100km combined so tyhe 7.9l/100km is very good as far as I am concerned. Highway travelling is very comfortable too, even though it has a relatively short wheel base and is higher than average being 4WD it handles the upsy downsy bits well and doesn't tend to bounce around like most 4WD's do.

Advertisement
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default RX4 Fuel economy

I cannot do better than 9.5 from mine ,however it is as you say very comfortable.
    I hope you do not have fuel pump problems ( which is accessed below the rear R/H passenger under seat stowage bin.) Simply remove the four or five screw which locates the plastic trim & rear power outlet .Pull up the carpet & hey presto! its sitting in the top of the fueltank . The fuelhose connections simply unclip & rotate the locating ring ,the pump body is then juggeled to remove it A genuine pump complete with built in sender unit cost me $660 Trade Bloody Hell!!
    On researching after the breakdown, I had the old pump fitted with a new electric motor for $200.

Scenic RX4
    87 Cit 2cv
    2004 Cit C3 1600

Tadpole

Icon7 I agree

I have just come back from a journey through Bourke, the Corner Country, Strezlecki Track, Birdsville Track, through to Carnarvon Gorge and Fraser Island. The RX4 handled it all very well, comfortable and roomy. 8000k in 6 weeks.

Economy hovered on 9l/100k.

Quote Originally Posted by routley43
    I cannot do better than 9.5 from mine ,however it is as you say very comfortable.
    I hope you do not have fuel pump problems ( which is accessed below the rear R/H passenger under seat stowage bin.) Simply remove the four or five screw which locates the plastic trim & rear power outlet .Pull up the carpet & hey presto! its sitting in the top of the fueltank . The fuelhose connections simply unclip & rotate the locating ring ,the pump body is then juggeled to remove it A genuine pump complete with built in sender unit cost me $660 Trade Bloody Hell!!
    On researching after the breakdown, I had the old pump fitted with a new electric motor for $200.

Scenic RX4
    87 Cit 2cv
    2004 Cit C3 1600
    Hey routley,
    There doesn't appear to be any fuel pumping hassles as the car drives fine. It pulls Ok, not blisteringly fast but then what Renault Scenic I Rx4 does. I have driven 2 and this one behaves exactly like the other one I drove and it was a lower milage car too.
    I have a friend in the Renault Club here in Qld who regularly returns 9.5l/100km in his and that's a mix of city/freeway driving(80km/h average stuff) so I am confident that's a correct reading for mine because my usual figures for 75-80% 60km/h driving is about 9.8l/100km.
    Did you have fuel pump hassles to have to worry about in yours?
    Ours hasn't missed a beat in the 4000km or so we have done in the past few months.
    I have to repair the lever mechanism below the rear rh and centre seat before I look into the fuel pump anyway. Those 2 seats won't lift up off the floor as I think the spring that holds the lever in place has broken/fallen off those seats, as the lh one is fine. It's a bit of a pain as I went to raise the seats the other day to carry some chairs and to my embarresment the seats wouldn't move

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Lifting the rear seats is sometimes made easier by moving them slightly forward on the track - I have found that if they are right back then the mechanism doesn't allow lifting - this is 2wd Scenic - suspect seats would be the same

Also had a fuel pump replaced under warranty (50k) - required fuel tank removal

Thanks Freddie,
    Yeah tried all positions. LH rear seat will lift fully, middle will lift if a long screwdriver is placed against the mechanism under the seat but I haven't had the RH rear lift at all yet. I am going to have a good look at it this weekend, shouldn't be too difficult as I am sure it's just the spring tension on those springs on the activation levers that suspect. I worked out that when the seat goes from forward position to right back the spring holds the lever up at the front so it engages the two clips at the sides on the rails and I guess the two faulty seats aren't doing it correctly as the seats do everything else they are supposed to.

Chris
    Last edited by HONG KONG PUGGY; 14th December 2005 at 08:55 PM.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Default RX4 Scenic

The seats in a 2wd must be different as well as the fuel pump access . They do not slide in the RX4. The fuel pump is as I explained under the seat stowage on the rear R/h Pax side
    My fuel pump died at 55000 klm but as I said there is an after market pump motor for around $200--- A lot less than the genuine At $660 trade.
    As I was stuck over a weekend with no contacts other than Renault I was a captive audience!!

I must have mislead you sorry, the seats in the Rx4 do slide back and forward. That's where the problem lies, in the slide mechanism, or rather how the lever operates from the slide mechanism.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

It seems to me that this car is much underated and when it was reviewed by the 4x4 punters in there overlander magazine they really ran it down. Just goes to show journalists have no idea. Glad to hear puggy your french 4x4 is doing so well keep us posted on it.

Thread Information