Bid ended, but it was a nault Safrane Bi-Turbo V6 on ebay... - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    l'Auto-Journal say it could be Jaguar, Saab or Volvo.
    (...)
    We are the same source.
    I think that the most interesting constructor is without question: Volvo.
    Saab is "dead" and Jaguar...to imagine Jaguar owned by the French.
    The English would make the revolution! :p

More seriously Volvo has still a excellent image and technology refinement, especially the engines. Renault wanted to already buy Volvo in the 90's but the Swedish preferred Ford. It is necessary to acknowledge that there had been many problêmes between the two manufacturers during their collaboration. But will Ford want to sell one of its manufacturers in better form?

Advertisement

For the Safrane Biturbo. This car has 2 BIG problems of conception: the gearbox and electronic suspension.
    Gearbox is just crap, because of it the torque and power are limited! There was not manual gearbox for an transversal V6 and 4WD accepting more of torque...
    Don't forget that at that time, Venturi sold cars with the PRV of more than 400hp.
    Yes, this Safrane with its superb ride could without problem accept + 350hp and 450Nm! Hartge kept besides a prepared "specimen" of more than 500hp, I believe.
    So with "only" 268hp and 350Nm for 1680kg, not suprise. The performances are just honourable...
    The suspension are excellent but...when the shock absorbers should be changed you are ruined! Without speaking about the electronic system of suspension which is not great reliability and whose replacement is there too ruinous.

Ok the Safrane Biturbo was supposed to be a "Executive car" with the budget which goes with. But it is a pity which Renault did not invest of advantage. The constructor stopped in way and that in is all the more shame because the remainder of the car is truly excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapalisse
    For the Safrane Biturbo. This car has 2 BIG problems of conception: the gearbox and electronic suspension.
    Gearbox is just crap, because of it the torque and power are limited! There was not manual gearbox for an transversal V6 and 4WD accepting more of torque...

The suspension are excellent but...when the shock absorbers should be changed you are ruined! Without speaking about the electronic system of suspension which is not great reliability and whose replacement is there too ruinous.

The constructor stopped in way and that in is all the more shame because the remainder of the car is truly excellent.
    Superb summary Lapalisse and reallity check for the downunder dreamers (me), of course Safrane is not the first vehicle to be stranded in the showroom due to cost cutting with the transmission . Lets not think too much about competitors prices and residual values for the full owners experiance .
    Cheers- GavinS 25 GTX 1987 build 2165cc auto - TBR. Renault is properly pronounced "Rhen-oh."
    .......................................Nissan Skyline (daily driver)
    Seek the blindspot and unknown of The Johari Window.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 25 V6 TURBO
    safranes in the uk are dead cheap,even the v6,we had a LHD bi turbo come in at work,i know i might get in trouble for saying this!!but it wasn,t very quick!!its a heavy car with cats and just didn,t really seem to go,my 25 TURBO seemed qiucker,and its lighter with NO cat!!the safrane was interesting,but looks soooooo heavy
    The 4WD and the weight will kill the spice at low speeds, much like the 4X4 Mi16 apparantly suffers. But handling must be superb. I'd love to try an R25 V6 Turbo though... guess that will never happen.

As for quick, I reckon my 2.2L 4cyl R25 (with Cat) was quicker off the mark than the 3.0V6 605. The R25 revved nicely and felt light, with much closer gear ratios. I even feel "slow" in city traffic with my current automatic 605 V6. However, once you get the weight moving you'll blast past anything given half a chance.

The high-end French cars are desgined for safe Autoroute/Autobahn cruising, and that's where you see them-and see them being used. They hill climb fantastically - you'll barely even notice. Switzerland becomes flat. I still have fond memories of that "jetlag" feel, where you arrive in a totally different climate to departure, having covered 1600km in a night and swallowing four countries in the process. Just leave it in fifth and don't worry about the crappy gearbox! 1st-4th are only for take off and landing.

Patrick
    605SVE

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Maybe, but if it follows that route it could also end up as the Lexenesque or Novaesque poor cousin of the original.....
    You have a great turn of phrase Simon......I will never forget the R18..fat bloated cousin of the 12.

Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Hi,
    Lapalisse has already given a great overview of the Biturbo's problems.

What would put me off are the prices for spare parts. The Biturbo was produced in very small numbers: Special biturbo parts of therefore very expensive or not even available. (E.g. special front bumper...)

Some examples:
    - Front brake pads: 215 Euros,
    - Disks: 471 Euros
    - Overhaul set (!) for front callipers: 574 Euros
    - exhaust section: silencer, cat and tube come as one part: 4275.58 Euros (see ebay 8021179663)

=> A Safrane Biturbo will surely ruin you!
    A true "Executive car" with the budget which goes with it.

In a German Safrane Forum we compared the R25 and Safrane: (data for the R25 taken from two magazines):

Safrane biturbo Renault 25 V6 turbo (1990-92)
    ..................193 kW (263 PS) - 5500/min........151 kW (205 PS) – 5500/min
    ..................363 Nm - 2500/min.....................290 Nm - 2500/min
    ..................2963 cm³.................................2458 cm³
    ..................1798 kg..................................1388-1441 kg...........1447 kg
    ..................250 km/h................................233 km/h.................234 km/h

0 - 80 km/h.......…5,3s.......................5,3 s...........................5,3 s
    0 - 100 km/h......…7,6 s......................7,5 s...........................7,7 s
    0 - 120 km/h................................................. .....................10,4 s
    0 - 140 km/h........13,7 s....................14,2 s.
    0 - 160 km/h................................................. .....................19,0 s
    0 - 180 km/h.........26,1 s....................25,6 s.........................25,7 s
    1 km....................28,0 s....................28,2 s.........................28,2 s
    60 – 100 km/h (IV).8,6 s................................................. ......7,4 s
    80 – 120 km/h (V.).11,7 s................................................… ...9,8 s

The R25 turbo shares a lot of components with the ordinary V6 and was sold in greater numbers: Special turbo parts for the R25 are not cheap, but still affordable.

What could you conclude? The Safrane is not faster than the R25: The power is all absorbed by the extra kilos. And yes, the Safrane was planned to have a lot more power- and these plans were not be realized due to the gearbox- what a bummer!
    Of course, the R25 layout is old: One should not forget 10 years of engineering progress.
    Daniel

p.s. some pics of the biturbo: http://14905.rapidforum.com/topic=100478592759

so the renault 25 v6 turbo is the daddy???

'unfortunately' the Renault 21 Turbo is faster than both at 0-100kmh, standing km and 80-120 by a small margin, but thats with longer gearing too..

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information