Fuego ignition help please.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fuego ignition help please.

I have noticed in other threads that the Fuego electronic ignition is a bit suspect. My '83 Fuego misses at random at low RPM (<3000) and occasionally the tacho goes back to zero for a few seconds.

Advertisement

I have tried wriggling all the wiring but can't duplicate the problem. The car starts beautifully hot or cold and the miss is not related to throttle opening.

One solution to Fuego ignition problems is to replace the whole dizzy and coil. Is it also possible to use the electronic ignition from (say) an R19?

I'm on my 3rd Fuego, differing ages and conditions, and I've always had them develop a miss at some stage. Every time it has turned out to be the dizzy and rotor. The rotor seems to tarnish where the carbon electrode touches and it gets pitting on the tip as well as on the dizzy. A quick clean up with a bit of emmery usually fixes the problem.

Hope this helps

cheers

Paul

1000+ Posts

Default Methodically check wiring and earth points.

Quote Originally Posted by uggliozzi
    I have noticed in other threads that the Fuego electronic ignition is a bit suspect. My '83 Fuego misses at random at low RPM (<3000) and occasionally the tacho goes back to zero for a few seconds.

I have tried wriggling all the wiring but can't duplicate the problem. The car starts beautifully hot or cold and the miss is not related to throttle opening.

One solution to Fuego ignition problems is to replace the whole dizzy and coil. Is it also possible to use the electronic ignition from (say) an R19?
    That almost sounds like a loss of contact in power or earthing. I have written a number of times about trouble shooting the main circuit board and improving contacts - examination for signs of burning as poor contact supplys heat to the circuit.

Also the main feed from the Alternator(large yellow wire) where it passes through the connector in the engine bay - often has signs of heat on the plastic connector - easy to simply bypass and use a crimped joiner after cutting wires on either side of heat effected connector.

I have found power and earth connectors on the battery that are intermittent due to poor wire contact in the battery clamps.

If I find a badly burnt connector on the main circuit board under the dash I neatly solder a wire onto the circuit, cut the one heading to the poor contact and crimp joiners.

I check and resolder all the fuze holders for dry joints and if I solder on a bypass wire I make sure the circuit still includes the fuzing.

Right up under the dash on the firewall is a black terminal block with two screw contacts on the main feeds make sure these are tight. May sure the large wire that plugs (Spade plug) into the main circuit board is clean and tight.

Now if you work methodically through the circuits its work well done in any case and will prevent future problems developing. Also the main cable from the battery to the starter motor gets oily and can come loose at the starter solenoid - I usually clean this area on the starter solenoid terminal and put a serrated washer on the connection and tighten connecting nut firmly but gently!

On the early behind the head distributor, oil does work its way through into the cap and it is worth while cleaning the interior of the dizzy and checking the central carbon rod contact, though I have had that problem most on the later P/Steering cars.

Coils do play up occasionally - you can get brand new ones, also the Top dead sensor can die (magnetic sensor wire from flywheel to electronic ignition) also in the early Fuegos the heater tap is right above the electronic ignition unit and they often leak when either off or fully on with the drips falling on the electronic ignition - shorting it. New taps are available and you can shield the ignition unit.

Usually if you have a few S/H spares around you can try various combinations and use a process of elimination to identify problems -new TDS connectors are available from Caravelle.

Occasionally the antipost firing system solenoid or Co constant cut out solenoid on the Carby may be faulty, to check operation start engine, let engine idle and then disconnect feed wire of idling cut-out and engine idle should drop and same with only disconnecting the other engine idle drops- take both spade terminals off and engine should stop.

There have been several previous posts from others as to cleaning the valves etc.

The fact that the Tacho drops out momentarily would in my view indicate either a loose connection or bad connector in the circuit.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Default Thank you

Once again I thank the generous members of this forum for excellent advice.

I have had problems with a dirty coil contact, and read a post here once about a guy who replaced everything to find it was the ignition barrell!!
    jo

Thread Information