R25 Stereo
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: R25 Stereo

Tadpole

Default R25 Stereo

Hey all,
    Firstly, just like to say a big thanks to everyone on this forum, I only discovered it about a month ago while trying to find info on renault 25's, and this site has helped me to find and now own my second r25.
    Also, just like to say thanks to Haakon who was very helpfull when I went to look at his 25.
    Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how to get the stereo out, as once you free the unit from the support brackets (via holes on front of stereo) I can't work out how to get it past the lower lip of the dash. It looks like it should be an easy process but I can't get the damn thing out!
    Also, does anyone know if the older style r25 stereo can be dropped into the r25 Baccara as they have different displays and stereo's.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

I've always had to loosen the centre console (around the gearshift) to get the radio out, from memory wasn't a hard job (and mine is made more difficult due to airco ducts and vacuum flap at the rear)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Did you get Lukes Baccara?

Pretty sure it will be different stereo, but just pull them both and check the plugs. Although I am sure the Baccara has a better stereo anyway. If its crook, I would try to get it fixed first. Also, you see Phase 2 R25 stereos occasionally on ebay UK (there is one being sold as parts on there now I think). Anyway, as Europa said, you do have to move the console back to get it out. Screws at the back side (move the seats forward to expose) and one under the handbrake (lift up the little carpet bit).

Kinda glad you passed on my R25 I am driving it again now and quite enjoying it! Theres life left in the old girl yet!! And the stereo is about 8 million times better than the one in the 406...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin N
    Hey all,
    Firstly, just like to say a big thanks to everyone on this forum, I only discovered it about a month ago while trying to find info on renault 25's, and this site has helped me to find and now own my second r25.
    Also, just like to say thanks to Haakon who was very helpfull when I went to look at his 25.
    Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how to get the stereo out, as once you free the unit from the support brackets (via holes on front of stereo) I can't work out how to get it past the lower lip of the dash. It looks like it should be an easy process but I can't get the damn thing out!
    Also, does anyone know if the older style r25 stereo can be dropped into the r25 Baccara as they have different displays and stereo's.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi Gavin,
    I know I'm being a stickybeak, but is your 2nd R25 the ex Luke Drady Baccara from Canberra? He said it was going to someone in Vic. Nice car if it is. Yeah, the only way I could remove the radio was by moving the centre console back a bit.
    Renpete

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Did you get Lukes Baccara?

Pretty sure it will be different stereo, but just pull them both and check the plugs. Although I am sure the Baccara has a better stereo anyway. If its crook, I would try to get it fixed first. Also, you see Phase 2 R25 stereos occasionally on ebay UK (there is one being sold as parts on there now I think). Anyway, as Europa said, you do have to move the console back to get it out. Screws at the back side (move the seats forward to expose) and one under the handbrake (lift up the little carpet bit).

Kinda glad you passed on my R25 I am driving it again now and quite enjoying it! Theres life left in the old girl yet!! And the stereo is about 8 million times better than the one in the 406...
    Jeez Haakon,
    That's a bit freakish - as I was typing the question if it was ex Luke's you were posting the same one.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Renpete
    Jeez Haakon,
    That's a bit freakish - as I was typing the question if it was ex Luke's you were posting the same one.
    Pete
    Great minds think alike

Tadpole

Yeah it was Luke's. In good nick, but I had to drive from Canberra to Melbourne with no speedo, didn't like doing that much.
    Fortunately, I took the whole dash out and got the speedo going again so now she just needs a good tune up.
    Luke's a good guy, it was easy doing an interstate deal with him.
    The stereo in these cars is awesome, part of the reason why I wanted another one. ( I am a muso after all) . I was a bit dissapointed when I saw that the tape player was broken, but hopefully it can be fixed.
    The stereo in the Baccara may be better than my gtx, but it doesn't quite have the same cool factor. ( C'mon, no reverb, how could they drop that!)
    Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, I will try to make some time tomorrow to try and pull it out.

Either of you guys have a spare 'plastic surround' for the stereo in the top section? Mine is cracked where I guess someone has tried to adjust the station with a closed fist

David.
    Powered by high grade French plutonium.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin N
    Yeah it was Luke's. In good nick, but I had to drive from Canberra to Melbourne with no speedo, didn't like doing that much.
    Fortunately, I took the whole dash out and got the speedo going again so now she just needs a good tune up.
    The stereo in these cars is awesome, part of the reason why I wanted another one. ( I am a muso after all) . I was a bit dissapointed when I saw that the tape player was broken, but hopefully it can be fixed.
    The stereo in the Baccara may be better than my gtx, but it doesn't quite have the same cool factor. ( C'mon, no reverb, how could they drop that!)
    Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, I will try to make some time tomorrow to try and pull it out.
    My 16 year old son recons the stereo in the R25 is as good as he's heard. Good enough for me. Also he's not worried about the lack of CD player, 'cause they're old tech, just need a better way (apart from the tape adapter) to plug the 60gig IPod into
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

He is a very good guy actually always very helpful and extra friendly.

i,ve got one of them massive stereos in my turbo,got the built in graphic equiliser,i do have a spare one in the house,but i like in the uk??the chap breaking the baccarra in the uk on e-bay is really helpful,but no baccara left,items like baccara mats,all the boot carpet,parcel shelf,have all been sold!!

Quote Originally Posted by vivid
    Either of you guys have a spare 'plastic surround' for the stereo in the top section? Mine is cracked where I guess someone has tried to adjust the station with a closed fist

David.
    Yup. Do you mean the black surround for the whole instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    just need a better way (apart from the tape adapter) to plug the 60gig IPod into
    Cheers
    Mike
    You can buy little FM transmitters that plug into the headphone socket of an IPod or any other source. Trasmit on one of 4 frequencies for a range of 10 metres or so. The radio thinks its just another FM stereo transmission.

If you are looking at one of those, I tried the Belkin Tunecast II, but had a bad run with it - it chewed batteries and didn't matter where I put it, I had awful reception on both the R25 radio and others. Can't recommend it (unless I had a dud!)
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I think I just blew a speaker in my R25 Turned the volume way up wondering why it wasnt working. Turned out the adaptor for my discman was not plugged in and then it came on at full bore. Ooops....

Great stereo in these things, but they are not immune to stupidity.... Oh well I have spares

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    If you are looking at one of those, I tried the Belkin Tunecast II, but had a bad run with it - it chewed batteries and didn't matter where I put it, I had awful reception on both the R25 radio and others. Can't recommend it (unless I had a dud!)
    Good to know. I was always told these were the best ones. But heaps of brands about - check fleabay.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren25
    My 16 year old son recons the stereo in the R25 is as good as he's heard. Good enough for me. Also he's not worried about the lack of CD player, 'cause they're old tech, just need a better way (apart from the tape adapter) to plug the 60gig IPod into
    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike,

Maybe your son could reprogram my 15-yr-old daughter. She reckons the R25 is shite because it doesn't have a CD/DVD player. Don't know why as she always has her IPod on listening to crap neo punk stuff.

The high esteem in which she holds the R25 is illustrated by the following incident. Last Feb we went to Sydney & stayed at Coogee. It was stinking hot so we decided to go for a swim at Coogee Beach. Parked the car in a side street on a fairly steep slope. Just as we were going down to the beach, a couple of dudes in a new black Honda Europa? parked upslope in front of us. There were 2 large drideways separating our cars. After the swim came back to the car - got in and had to cool the thing down by leaving the doors open for a few mins. Wife & daughter started arguing (as usual) & I went into my normal tuned-out state when this happens. Then bang - looked up and the Honda had come down the slope smack into the front of the 25. No one in the bloody car though. Tried backing away but the bloody thing remained glued to the front of the car and there were other cars behind me. Borrowed a brick from someones fence (it was a bit loose) & chocked the Honda. Managed to pull away from it & assess damage - a small crack in the spoiler & the bottom of the bumper on the 25. The Honda looked considerably worse at the rear. Started cursing the idiot for not putting the Honda in park & relying on the obviously ineffective handbrake. Then to my amazement my daughter starts on me for complaining about the damage to the stupid old 25 - what about the nice Honda - how dare the stupid old 25 damage it. Jeez, I couldn't believe it such loyalty .

The next stop was the Coogee Beach pub

Renpete

Quote Originally Posted by Europa
    Yeah, I have been told they're all shite, apparently the one to get plugs into the aerial socket as a kind of T piece Anyone know any more?
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Phht.. Teenagers - they wouldnt know style if it bit them. Take no notice I am sure she will like it more when she gets her licence and wants to borrow it for a night on the town

Quote Originally Posted by Renpete
    Mike,

Maybe your son could reprogram my 15-yr-old daughter. She reckons the R25 is shite because it doesn't have a CD/DVD player. Don't know why as she always has her IPod on listening to crap neo punk stuff.

The high esteem in which she holds the R25 is illustrated by the following incident. Last Feb we went to Sydney & stayed at Coogee. It was stinking hot so we decided to go for a swim at Coogee Beach. Parked the car in a side street on a fairly steep slope. Just as we were going down to the beach, a couple of dudes in a new black Honda Europa? parked upslope in front of us. There were 2 large drideways separating our cars. After the swim came back to the car - got in and had to cool the thing down by leaving the doors open for a few mins. Wife & daughter started arguing (as usual) & I went into my normal tuned-out state when this happens. Then bang - looked up and the Honda had come down the slope smack into the front of the 25. No one in the bloody car though. Tried backing away but the bloody thing remained glued to the front of the car and there were other cars behind me. Borrowed a brick from someones fence (it was a bit loose) & chocked the Honda. Managed to pull away from it & assess damage - a small crack in the spoiler & the bottom of the bumper on the 25. The Honda looked considerably worse at the rear. Started cursing the idiot for not putting the Honda in park & relying on the obviously ineffective handbrake. Then to my amazement my daughter starts on me for complaining about the damage to the stupid old 25 - what about the nice Honda - how dare the stupid old 25 damage it. Jeez, I couldn't believe it such loyalty .

The next stop was the Coogee Beach pub

Renpete
    Girls!
    My young bloke thinks the R25 is a pretty cool car
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    Yup. Do you mean the black surround for the whole instruments?
    Yup thats the one.. you have?

Cant drive the 25 now, its out of reg
    Now to get it a RWC.