Fun with a Four!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Fun with a Four!

http://www.renospeed.co.uk/R4/Wolf.asp

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default R4 fun

What a magic machine and a thoroughly impressive installation.
    That's it!
    I'm going to have to start on my R4 van-at least the chassis is near new!

It really is the best modified R4 Iíve seen, simply because it looks so stock, no fins, flaps or frippery to advertise what is underneath. A true Q-Car. Oh and it is white too, another nice thing :-)

I'm not sure how much of the car is 1972 model though, all I can spot is the grille and diamond plate. The shell is GTL, along with a lot of the other visible R4 parts. Probably another thing in the cars favour!

Fellow Frogger!

Default fUN FOUR

Issue 28 of Retro Cars, Oct 05 has an extensive article!

1000+ Posts

Absolutely superb, Simon. A modded R4 is one of my dream cars, actually (as strange as that might seem). Something less radical would do me, though! Just a warm 1289 and a brake upgrade with slightly roll stiffened suspension is my ideal.

Thanks for that.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Stuey

I have that dream! - or at least some of the bits!.

A 'modern R4' -what a way to go!

I went to the garage today.

My '68 van has front and rear anti roll bars. Can you imagine a '4' willing to attack corners with poise, and hurry through without startling the oncoming traffic? These are my memories of its handling (no doubt defective after 20 years of storage/neglect). Neverthess, there is one forum member who can describe the wee beastie as a 'moving experience'.

Chassis is perfect.

Van body ...er ..needs work.

I am getting serious. I'm inspired!

Anyone have a workshop manual that covers the early and later models? I need to do some serious reading.

Do I get a local 1289 sierra motor or go the import route?

If so how modern? OHC unit? what would be the donor car? - carb or fuel injection? (tell me I'm dreamin') On reflection I think carby!
    4 speed GTL box like the one above (and of course the disc brake front end)
    I've owned a R5 and a R6 and sold them in the past. I know that these bits are not going to be available locally/readilly.

What's the deal with importing half a car???

I'd go local with the motor, 12 motors are still fairly plentiful out there. OTOH, if you went modern you could do worse than something like a Clio 1.4 motor, I've seen the RSC motor adapted to an R8G gearbox, so adapting the 1.4 to a GTL gearbox wouldn't be impossible. Only problem then is height being OHC, and width/length to fit in the tunnel. You really want to keep the umbrella gearshift :-).

To fit the Sierra motor already requires the bulkhead side to be "relieved". So the Sierra motor is likely the best and easiest bet, as all the parts are available from the GTL, so as far as engineering goes it is basically a factory conversion.

As for importing a half cut, you could do worse than approach a Japanese import place. R4's, especially the GTL are available in Japan, and you may even score the A/C unit. But you really would need both front and rear cuts to get both axles for all the associated good brake bits, later roll bars etc..

1000+ Posts

Go for it David. I've been thinking about that for about ten years now!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Default Renault 4 Van, the ultimate mover!

"there is one forum member who can describe the wee beastie as a 'moving experience'."

Indeed I would. I vividly remember the Fourgon moving Julie from one flat to another, with bits of furniture, and the van's owner, poking their heads out of the hatch at the back!

Almost the most fun you could have in a commercial vehicle at the time!

Dave, once I've got my couple of time consuming projects out of the way, we need to get together and really do this!

Now how about we adapt some GS hydropneumatic suspension to the chassis in the process? Hmmm?

On a more practical, if not serious, note. I wonder if R5 or R6 mechanicals might be sourced from NZ fairly readily? You've proven that a well set up 1289 made the R5 go like a pocket rocket, I'm sure that with the old Sierra motor as a basis you could end up with a very civilised machine. And anyway, people will be laughing so hard they won't notice you passing them!

Of course, you could always approach that bloke who bought Mick's red van with my old R6 front end in it. I doubt that he'd part with it, but it's a thought. Make one amazing machine out of two!

Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks for the advice Simon & Pottsy

I had naturally thought England as a source of bits. Japan and NZ are obviously closer (and therefore possibly cheaper in tems of freight)
    If I'm going the import route then I would really love the GTL box for its tall gearing.
    The R5 used to pull 4000rpm at 100kph!

Quote Originally Posted by David M
    The R5 used to pull 4000rpm at 100kph!
    That's not overly tall, that is around R12 type gearing. Given the 4 is lighter I reckon you could get away with a touch taller gearing for relaxed cruising.

As for UK importing, probably contact Renospeed to see what an MoT rust failure GTL is worth. They may be able to gas axe the roof, chop out the rear floor section, tack it together and throw it into a crate. You may pay more for freight but less for the car than one from Japan or NZ, either way you get a datum price.
    Last edited by Simon; 7th December 2005 at 06:56 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault 4

My post was a little misleading. My 5 started life as a 956cc with appropriate gearing. By the time it left my hands it was a 1.4 with the same (and now inapproriate) gearing.
    A GTL box has a final drive of about 3:1, This would drop the revs by about 1000 @ 100km/h. Much more leisurely.
    Thanks for the suggestion of Rennospeed. I'm going to need a manual to get a shopping list organised.

Fellow Frogger!

Default R4 revamp

Well I think I've got a manual sorted for the older style R4-probably won't include newer versions.

Does any one have the (web) addresses and contact nos of suitable UK, Japanese or NZ wreckers? PLM Know. I'm talking 60% of the vehicle.

By the by, how hard is it going to be presenting a car for a RWC and initial registration that's been cobbled together from the 4 (no pun) corners of the Earth? I live in Vic, if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure that I can find the diamond plate or the oval plate that suits the car. I know that the engine number will be non-original and new to the vehicle (because I don't have it yet!)
    I've got a rego no JZF *** and paperwork with the previous owner's details on it. Sadly, no paperwork with my name.

As long as the diamond plate (chassis number) matches the chassis number stamped on the floorpan all should be OK. If you can tie it up with the JZF car rego papers (say with that cars diamond plate and chassis) all the better.

Default R4 parts from Germany

For those interested - and with reasonable knowledge of the german language I have found some good parts at this German site:

www.reno4er.de/inhalt.htm

They are working out the freight for me at the moment but it shouldn't be too bad....saying that I don't think you wanna freight a complete engine....but for some of the hard to get rubber parts it might work out OK...

The pics (http://www.reno4er.de/bg_modelle.htm ) are well worth a look. I never realised that they made an R4 ute - what a funky looking thing that is !!

Cheers
    Stephan

Fellow Frogger!

Default R4 sites

Thanks for the links.
    I've bookmarked them for future reference. I know no German, but the pictures are worth a thousand words in the restoration section.
    David.

PS I just purchased some manuals for the Ventoux series. Does anyone have the Sierra/GTL type manuals for sale?

Dave, just a thought. Given that the R6 used the later R4 chassis and motor, would its manual be close enough? I think I've still got the R6 one somewhere, and I'm sure you've got the R5 book set up in a shrine somewhere as well.

Sounds like Monbulk will soon reverberate to the sounds of hammering and swearing. Just like old times!

(And 4000 rpm at 100Kmh is Mini gearing as well! But the little screamer still has a bit more to go after 4000, when I finally get to rebuild it!)

Incidentally, I remember when you bought the van and the other two R4's from Howard. You told me you'd bought an R12 (three 4's).

Does that make this photo an R17? Aah! Memories!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fun with a Four!-r17-smaller.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Default Nostalgia

That photo brings a tear to my eye. When I sold the 5, I sold it all, car, parts and manuals, in the hope it would keep the car intact.
    I don't have many photos of the car itself so that one brings back special memories. Nostalgia!

What was the history of the R5? With the rego it would make it a mid 1970's rego car, just wondering if there was some sort of Renault Australia connection?

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David M
    That photo brings a tear to my eye. When I sold the 5, I sold it all, car, parts and manuals, in the hope it would keep the car intact.
    I don't have many photos of the car itself so that one brings back special memories. Nostalgia!
    Biggest mistake I made was selling a mint bog stock 1970 Mini Cooper S Mk3 intact with factory manuals, parts microfiche, parts etc. for the reasons you say above.

I caught up with it 6 years later and it'd had a full cage put in it, full race motor, race harness, seats, torn up interior - all carefully collected archives forgotten about...

Bah.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Simon.

David can probably fill out the details but I believe his R5 was one of a small batch imported for evaluation by Renault Aust.

Another one of the same batch found its way into Bob Watson's workshop where it was converted to a mid engined rally beast.

Bob was always glad to see David's car among the spectator fleet at Club rallies as he then knew that there were spares on hand if he needed any!

And Stuey, anyone who parts with a Cooper S is always going to regret it. I'm sort of lucky in that I've never had one to part with, but I'm never parting with the little Deluxe either! I plan to be getting speeding tickets in that when I'm ninety!

People who carve up a minter for a race car are beneath contempt anyway!

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Default R5

Simon, as Ray says, it was one of six brought in for evaluation by Renault Aus, when they still had a presence here. Mine was a 956cc base model TL with 4speed umbrella gear change. I can't imagine it competing with a Kingswood for market share. Renault Aus decided against import or manufacture. The cars were then used by Renault employees and sold off when Renault left Australia.

Thread Information