Renault 19RT - Any one can help?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default considering to buy a used Renault 19RT of 1994.

I am considering to buy a used Renault 19RT of 1994.
    The air conditioning works, but it's not cool when it is on.
    Besides, the needle indicating the engine oil level always points to 0, though there is plenty oil and the alarm light is working properly.
    And, one rear door does not seal so tight when it is closed, though there is no leakage...

What might be the reason? What is the worst possibility? How much it may cost to fix these problems??
    Except for above problems, I have not found other problems. There is no damage to the car according to the owner, who is the second owner of the car and the odometre is 98000km, and the log book shows regular service...The owner is asking for $4500, any comment on this?

Advertisement
    Last edited by gracepalace; 4th December 2005 at 01:17 AM.

We have the same car.

Our A/C was regassed (converted over). It seems to last only a month or so and then the aircon doesn't work again, I guess it must have a leak. In the end we gave up and don't use the aircon. It costs $175 at my mechanic to get the aircon regassed, but if there are extra parts required etc, you could be looking at considerably more.

The oil level indicator is only supposed to work when the ignition is first turned on, but without the motor running. When the engine is going, it always points to 0. Try this first, just in case you are unaware of this. Turn the ignition on and leave for 20 seconds, watch the guage - does it change? There may not be anything wrong with it.

The seal on the door could just be damaged and require changing. We put a new real seal on the hatch recently and it was $220. I would expect a door seal to be less.

98k is low mileage in my opinion, and if it has been regularly serviced then it seems a fair price. Be wary of auto transmissions - enquire if it has been rebuilt in the lifetime of the car, and also check to see what maintenance has been done on the electrics. Things like the dizzy cap, and ignition items are expensive to replace and would be needed by now if not already done.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10
    Things like the dizzy cap, and ignition items are expensive to replace and would be needed by now if not already done.
    KB
    Eh? Where are you buying parts? Service items are very cheap...
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

Default Thanks

Thank you Renault 8 & 10. I am new here. Forgot to tell that the car is manual. I read some previous messages in this forum and found that some Renault 19RT of 1994 could only be sold at $5000 or even lower 3 years ago...
    The odometre is really unbelievably low.
    Any simple method to see whether the engine has been rebuilt?
    The owner has tried to install speakers into the car but failed. Now there are some wires connected to the electricity system left under the front seat... is there any large imfluence on the car?
    Besides, is 19RT a good choice as the first car I drive here? many people recommend Japanese cars since they are cheap to maintain...

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=renault8&10]We have the same car.

Our A/C was regassed (converted over). It seems to last only a month or so and then the aircon doesn't work again, I guess it must have a leak. In the end we gave up and don't use the aircon. It costs $175 at my mechanic to get the aircon regassed, but if there are extra parts required etc, you could be looking at considerably more.

Obviously a botch conversion. Don't go back to him if he doesn't fix the problem free of charge if he hasn't changed the O rings, receiver dryer, oil to Sanden SP20 (135cc)or equivalent and expansion valves. It takes 800g +/- 50g 134a gas
    Last edited by JoBo; 4th December 2005 at 03:13 PM.

Graceplace - dont be scared of an R19, especially a manual. They are very durable if maintained, and not at all expensive for parts if you know where to go. Find a good french car garage and you will be fine.

I doubt the motor will have been rebuilt - they are very durable and will get very large miles if looked after. One thing to check though is the cambelt - this has to be replaced every 4 years/100K km whichever comes first. If in doubt, get it changed. Its not a huge job.

Like all cars, thye have their weak points (this is where you need the services of a french car mechaninc who knows what to look for. Dont pay for the education of your local aussie/jap car mechanic!!), and will probably not be as relaible as a Corolla. But its a much nicer car, and the very low prices they go for makes up for a lot.

Dont stress about the stereo wiring. Theres not much to it and is easily sorted by any decent stereo installer or your friendly french car mechanic.

The rear door probably just needs the latch adjusted - a 2 minute job.

If its in good nick overall, go for it. If in doubt, get it looked at by a frnech car mechanic or the RACV. But for the dollars these things go for, its hard to go wrong. If those K's are right (bound to be - not much benifit in changing the odometer for a car worth this little... Plus you should be able to get a feel for it by the overall condition), $4500 is about right, although you could bargain that down a bit. This is assuming full rego and a roadwaorthy. Its a lot of car for those dollars...
    Last edited by Haakon; 4th December 2005 at 03:15 PM.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Tadpole

Default Sanden SP20

thanks for all the replies. so helpful indeed... a stupid question: what is Sanden SP20? I saw it for many times...

Quote Originally Posted by gracepalace
    I am considering to buy a used Renault 19RT of 1994.
    The air conditioning works, but it's not cool when it is on.
    Besides, the needle indicating the engine oil level always points to 0, though there is plenty oil and the alarm light is working properly.
    And, one rear door does not seal so tight when it is closed, though there is no leakage...

What might be the reason? What is the worst possibility? How much it may cost to fix these problems??
    Except for above problems, I have not found other problems. There is no damage to the car according to the owner, who is the second owner of the car and the odometre is 98000km, and the log book shows regular service...The owner is asking for $4500, any comment on this?
    Those problems don't sound too much of a worry,although I can't advise on costs. Aircon is probably in need of gas and shouldn't break the bank .The door sounds like the latch mechanism needs adjusting (which onmost cars is a simple job). With the oil level meter, have a look at the handbook. It may be that the meter is not meant to read the level at all times - I don't know, but the one in the Fuego only works with the engine off. In the great scheme of things you can live without that function, just check your oil regularly. If it is malfunctioning perhaps you could use it as a lever to lower the price a bit.

The price doesn't sound totally ureasonable either. The only caveat I'd place on such a purchase would be whether the vehicle is auto or manual.

If you like 19's and it's a manual I'd get it checked over and if I liked it I would probably try and bargain a little then buy it.

If it's an auto you would have to factor in the possibility of funding a several thousand dollar auto gearbox rebuild during your period of ownership. The relatively low kms are on your side, but no guarantee that you won't have problems, it seems as though the autos can give up from any mileage around 100,000km upwards.

If I was keen to have an auto box, then I'd check the service records and ask the owner when the fluid had been changed and the box last serviced. If the answer is "never" or "I can't remember" and there is no specific service record to the contrary, then I would be really wary. If I decided to go ahead and buy an auto, the first things I would do would be to have it serviced,the fluid changed and an after market cooler fitted.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Tadpole

Default Thanks again

Thank you for all the kind replies. And thanks forum master for combining the two threads

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gracepalace
    thanks for all the replies. so helpful indeed... a stupid question: what is Sanden SP20? I saw it for many times...
    SP20 is the compressor oil specified by Renault

Tadpole

thankssssss!

Looks like most of it's been covered. I also own an R19RT.

The aircon on mine was converted ages ago. For me the gas lasts around a year. I suspect i have a small leak but have been unable to locate it (they put a uv dye in with the gas). I've seen plenty of signs around advertising regasses for $99.

As stated before, Check that the Timing Belt has been done. It comes as a kit with two pulleys. I find it's the pulleys that are in the worst condition when it's replaced. I get mine done every 75K.
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Thread Information