Fuegos with R25 shocks
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuegos with R25 shocks

I have an 85 Fuego that needs new front shocks as the aftermarket ones it has on at the moment are shot.

I was thinking of getting some new shocks for xmas. I have spoken to Quadrant and they say a custom built set to suit the Fuego will be approx $600. At this point: ouch!

There has been talk on the AF forum of converting fuego's to use R25 shocks.

From what I can see, a new set of springs are needed as the 25's have variable spring diameter at the shock base vs the Fuegos constant diameter coil.

I am assuming that a set of springs to be made will be cheaper than a set of shocks.

Any body have any experience with this?

Advertisement

Has this setup been tried?

Thanks all

David

Unless you are playing with ride height and/or assorted other go fast modifications, just put a set of standards in . French made Aliquant shocks are cheap and easy to get. Call Carrevelle - 98909061.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

My understanding of the shocks available today (by the members of this forum), is that they are all underdamped.

Of all the suspension places I have spoken to they either have no replacement units, or have just one type to suit the whole range.

Thus all Fuegos get the same replacement shock - now are all the Fuego shocks being replaced by the ones from the diesel? in which case the damping would be firm, however, if they are replaced by the ones from the 1.6, the damping would be lousy.

Hence the R25 units seem the ones to go for, but for the spring problem.

Richard V, how did you do your shock conversion?

If you are serious about new shocks, your timing ,as far as springboarding off my troubles, could not be more perfect.I had a set of Konis, and put them in and ,in typical fasion, they were under dampened.I am determined to win this battle of wills between me and the fuego,so I took the konis off and put the factory ones back.Once I'd established that the shocks were under,I pondered by how much under, as I didn't want to have them re-valved too stiff.I borrowed a set of struts from a mate, and took the factory ones off.One was stuffed, with oil leaking, but the good one was sent down to Proven Products, to evaluate the dampening force as a point of reference. I will then hopefully have the Konis set to have theit minimum stop around the dampening force of the original.
    For anyone who wants to pester proven with fuego grief, NOW might be the time, as they have my original strut there at this very moment.
    My advice for anyone hoping to get new struts would be dont, unless you realy need to.Then,unless you want to stuff around, just source low KM used ones.I'll start collecting good ones from now on.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Jo

My shocks are non std and are leaking badly on the RHS. I have no references to genuine Renault ones and these have the name AL-KO (german). Given the anount of grief needed to replace Renault shocks I want to do it once, thus the questions.

I'd rather spend money on good shocks and know they will last 10 yrs than put in used ones that will maybe fail in 12mths.

Where is Proven Products? Melb or Sydney? Once they have the damping rate have they the ability to offer other people similarly valved Konis?

Regards

David

1000+ Posts

Default Depends what you want to do with the Fuego

85 Fuego

Depends what you want to do with your Fuego - Ken Bailey at Caravelle has new Fuego shocks and in normal round town usage I doubt that you will have any problem with the new shocks once fitted.

If you are intending rallying of trying to compete with Mistarenno on the twisties of reefton, then you may want to pour some more money into your front end. If not stick with the standard ones from Ken Bailey.

Now who gave you the idea that replacing the shocks was hard work - if you have the right 3 hooked spring compressor and perch plate its a piece of piss! less than 30 minutes a side as I recall (check my previous posts on this) If you have enough nouse to replace C/V half shafts, then with the right equipment the shockers are easier.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego
    Jo

My shocks are non std and are leaking badly on the RHS. I have no references to genuine Renault ones and these have the name AL-KO (german). Given the anount of grief needed to replace Renault shocks I want to do it once, thus the questions.

I'd rather spend money on good shocks and know they will last 10 yrs than put in used ones that will maybe fail in 12mths.

Where is Proven Products? Melb or Sydney? Once they have the damping rate have they the ability to offer other people similarly valved Konis?

Regards

David
    Dave ,I could not rate Al_CO's low enough.I bought a set about 2 years ago, and the things handled like crap on the corners.I couldn't handle the bouncynes, and when I tried to remove them, was majorly stuffed up by the 45 degree bend in the bottom of the strut.God knows how I managed to do that, but suffice to say they are the bottom of my list.Good for stopping the gate slamming,maybe.
    Koni no longer make shocks for fuego's and I am not awear of any, and I mean any alternative that is at least as good as the factory shock.
    For what its worth, fuego shocks take me about an hour and a half to change, and it is a piece of cake.Except for the koni, which has its top threaded shaft too bloody short and is a major hastle to get the nut onto.
    Jo

Just spotted a set of nos Konis on Ebay.

Put some made in france Touring specced Aliquant shocks in the R25, and they are very good. R25 is just a bigger Fuego at the front. They were cheap too
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Hi All

If you are looking for new shocks it might be worth you contacting these guys.
    http://www.shockreco.com.au/motorsport.htm

They can Reco about any factory stut and can set the damping level to your request.

Good luck.

Cheers

Matt
    MattG
    2002 Xsara VTS

1000+ Posts

Default Spoke to Ken Bailey he has LIP shocks for Fuego

Spoke to Ken Bailey at Carravelle earlier today, he has LIP shocks for the Fuego in stock phone# (03) 9890 9061

Fellow Frogger!

Ken

I've got a set of R25 Aliquant shocks. Look like they're almost brand new. This is the reason why I'm asking the relevant conversion questions. Will continue to accept ideas & recommendations before the eventual redamping process is started.

Have done a lot of work on lots of cars replaced drive shafts etc. etc.

Have taken springs/shocks from the 25 without the genuine renault tools. Scary. Am not daunted by the thought of replacing the shocks, just the thought of a spring through the forehead!

The next question are LIP as good/better/worse than Aliquant? I get my parts through Ken - thats not a problem, what I'm trying to do is ascertain from AF members what their experiences have been and try to learn from others ie don't buy AL-KO

Jo

Have you got the values of the original shocks damping force values yet?
    Would probably be good to know when referencing other shocks.

Given the 25 is 1200kg vs the Fuego GTX's mass of 1077 Kg the damping of the Aliquants will be firmer.
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 6th December 2005 at 09:38 PM.

David,I have not accumulated any data, but will touch base with proven tomorrow. Has the r25 damper the same dimensions as the fuegos one?

Dont avoid Al-ko if you drive really slow and gently and dont want to ever push the car to its limits,but if you drive hard,they will dissapoint.

I dont want to even know how you are getting the springs off.
    Maybe a tool could be borrowed for a day from a local frog.Its not a dificult job with one.
    Jo

Administrator

Sorry Guys,

I've been flat out getting the RCCV mag finished and haven't had a chance to post on this thread.

I have R25 dampers and custom springs in my Fuego and it all fits with no worries...

The only slight issues is the top stud has to be shortened if you want to use the standard size bushes or the hole enlarged if you wish to use the R25 bushes...

I have posted on here before about the R25 dampers, but basically they are quite well suited to a Fuego with larger wheels as they are designed around a heavier standard wheel and tyre combo...

The R25 weighs about 250 kg more than a Fuego, but most of that weight is above the rear wheels (extra doors and steel hatch etc). They are quite a bit heavier in the rebound damping which gets rid of that floating feeling that develops with many non-genuine dampers...

I've got no complaints. My Fuego rides and handles quite well

I'll take some piccies and post some spring specs when I get a chance...

Spoke to proven today,and will get printouts of dyno charts for both the old OE,and the re-valved Konis.It ends up there is a large difference between the two shocks.As Richard points out, the rebound on the Koni was under OE, and was contributing to my wobbles.Hopefully I'll get them back by the end of next week, and will let you know how it goes.
    Richard, I'm interested in what springs you have.Any details?
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

The 25 and Fuego shocks are similar but as i have posted before the lower part of the 25 spring gets progressively narrower, thus new coils will be needed.

Excellent to hear Richard that the conversion is not a major involvement.

I will be putting 25 alloy rims on the car and thus the 25 shocks will be needed.

Any details of what specs the coils were made to would be greatly appreciated, also what to look out for ie get variable spring rate (I assume all spring manufacturers are not the same?)

The inevitable would also be appreciared ie..."I should have done this...I should have done that...."

You mentioned changing the bump stop. Why R19?

Thanks

David

Thread Information