Renault 19 engine issues
  • Register
  • Help

Icon8 Renault 19 engine issues

Comforting to see others are happily keeping early 90's R19 going. My sons is a 1991 series 1 F3N engine 235km that we have redone (rings, bearings, seals). Recenty it progressively started developing an engine problem. When accelerating it is fine and pulls consistantly but when I back off the accelerator a bit it cuts out then when you accelerate it takes off again fine. This probably doesnt affect my son as he only has two positions on the accelerator but I am severly challenged.
    First I suspected a manifold leak so replaced the gaskets (block and plenum) but no change. Nextplugs leads dissy cap and rotor...no change. New fuel fllter. Added fuel injector cleaner still no change.

Additionally the idle speed control is inconsistant so I checked it (fine) but replaced it..no change to the idle or anything else.

Im starting to think it must be an injector issue but I have never heard of a 19 with fuel injector problems.

Advertisement

What am I missing?

Inspect very carefully for vacuum leaks, the hoses go brittle/soft with age. Stand with beverage in hand and look at it for a long time, you may be surprised what you see after a while (one of the benefits of owner maintainence, mechanics can't afford to charge for standing around looking at the job)
    The only running problems I've had with the R25s are vacuum related, and they can do some wierd things, depending on where the leak is leaking air to.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Quote Originally Posted by gadget

What am I missing?
    Don't rule out ignition problems, notably the coil or coil pack (not sure what a 19 runs), you've already done the plugs, distributor cap and rotor.

It really is a matter of eliminating the possibilities one by one. That can be a bummer - you can luck it out first up or spend a lot of time in the process. One of my best Renault efforts involved replacing a carb, then distributor and HT leads before finally discovering the coil was stuffed...the symptoms were pretty much what you are describing.

You could try watching the engine in the dark, doing the rev up and back off - you may be rewarded with some visible evidence of an electrical fault.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BogMaster; 29th November 2005 at 10:53 PM.
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

Default Ren 19.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget
    Comforting to see others are happily keeping early 90's R19 going. My sons is a 1991 series 1 F3N engine 235km that we have redone (rings, bearings, seals). Recenty it progressively started developing an engine problem. When accelerating it is fine and pulls consistantly but when I back off the accelerator a bit it cuts out then when you accelerate it takes off again fine. This probably doesnt affect my son as he only has two positions on the accelerator but I am severly challenged.
    First I suspected a manifold leak so replaced the gaskets (block and plenum) but no change. Nextplugs leads dissy cap and rotor...no change. New fuel fllter. Added fuel injector cleaner still no change.

Additionally the idle speed control is inconsistant so I checked it (fine) but replaced it..no change to the idle or anything else.

Im starting to think it must be an injector issue but I have never heard of a 19 with fuel injector problems.

What am I missing?
    gadge,
    This could be a throttle switch [potentiometer?] problem. Unfortunately you'll need the Ren. magic box to set it up. Possibly by now others have found a simpler way.

Idle throttle possition sensor possibly?

It would explain the symptoms, but i've never had a good look at mine to see how possible it is to do that though.
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Get a multimeter onto the alternator. Voltage spikes and drops can do strange things to the EFI. I have heard of an R19 that had odd and erratic running problems that had a lot spent on it fruitlessly trying to sort it. Erratic idle is one of the main symptoms of this malady. Eventually a $70 voltage regulator in the alternator fixed it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

1000+ Posts

If the idle is erratic, as it was on ours, then the alternator is to be checked.
    By the way, we had two lots of Renault trained technicians trying to solve the problem without any result. Billia at least refunded the money but the lot in Whithorse Road refused to inspite of giving a stupid diagnosis and refusing to guarantee a fix if i let them have a go.
    Pretty sure the TPS is just on/off and full throttle.

Default Status to date

Thanks all for your suggestions. jobo what is TPS.

I have another R19 of the same series that is my daughters and she is at shoolies (so she wont know!) so tonight I swapped the coil (which has the electronics in it) and the vacuum pressure sensor. Rats absolutly the same.
    I disconected the alternator by unplugging it so removing the power to the regulator/rotor (although still connected to the +12v power) and still no change.
    On my daughters alternator the brushes died and in the process took out the regulator. I guess during that process it must have generated heaps of electrical noise but all I noticed was the battery went flat (nothe dash light did not light but is ok). Fitted new slip rings and a regulator brush assembly and its fine but it had done the same kms.

I will try swapping alternators but if that doesnt cure the issue I am running out of ideas...could it be fuel injectors?

TPS = Thottle Position Sensor.

well it does in my book.
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    gadge,
    This could be a throttle switch [potentiometer?] problem. Unfortunately you'll need the Ren. magic box to set it up. Possibly by now others have found a simpler way.
    My fuego/R21 motor has the same symptoms, and luckily most my driving is like your sons,on or off.You dont need a diognostic computer to ajust the TPS, just your ears and a screwdriver.If its the same as the R21,, there are three setings, closed, open and full open.Each time the throttle moves from one to the other, you can hear the switch change.Try messing about with this, as I was able to minimise the problem and make the car drivable at low loads.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=jo proffi]My fuego/R21 motor has the same symptoms, and luckily most my driving is like your sons,on or off.You dont need a diognostic computer to ajust the TPS, just your ears and a screwdriver.If its the same as the R21,, there are three setings, closed, open and full open.Each time the throttle moves from one to the other, you can hear the switch change.

Using a multimeter makes it even easier.
    If the car has done this sort of distance i would as a matter of routine have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and flow rate/pattern checked, costs 20 to 30 per injector if you take it out yourself (very easy).
    But prior to that i'd check the fuel pressure just to be sure the pump and pressure regulator are right.
    Checking for crossfireing of the leads in the dark is a good idea.
    Do a full throttle position validation. Sorry, not sure i'm remembering the procedure and my random filing system is letting me down.
    But it goes something like:' Turn ignition on. Depress throttle fully and wait at least 5 seconds. Turn ignition off and let go of throttle. As i said, i'm not sure anymore as i've done it quite some time ago but i'm sure some R technicians know. Let's see if they divulge any trade secretes or more to the point of Renault secrets - buggers.
    I was told this by a friendly Renault technician but his boss went very dark on him when he saw me talking to him. Don't know what there problem is? Worried Renaults get a good reputation for easy servicing?
    There are always heaps of people who prefer to let the professionals do the job anyway. It's only a few nutters like us who like to fiddle ourselves.

Default Update

Had the injectors cleaned and reinstalled them. If I had realised it was so easy I would have done it earlier..hard to get out but went back together like a dream.. The bad news is ..no change. although now it start instantly instaed of turning over for 2 secs before catching.

I will now change the alternator and see what happens but I am starting to suspect there is an air leak and its just running too lean under high vacuum conditions.

There must be loads of engineers/ mechanics in melbourne that can sort this out?

1000+ Posts

[I will now change the alternator and see what happens but I am starting to suspect there is an air leak and its just running too lean under high vacuum conditions.[/QUOTE]

They check for air leaks in the intake system by blowing smoke into it.

Thread Information