renault roundup 05
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default renault roundup 05

Visited the roundup at Healesville recently and was a little disappointed with the small roll up of renaults, thought there might have been a lot more on the day. Maybe I was expecting too much but it seemed a good opportunity lost for owners to meet and kick a few more tyres.

Advertisement

I've seen some pics of the day and thought there was a good selection of models. More quality than quantity, which car did you take?

Tadpole

I was in my 2003 Laguna but parked outside the fence - I'm not too sure that I should be proud of it. As most owners of this model say - the transmission (engine management syst) - is poor and the brakes grab at low speed.
    I guess I was hoping there might have been a few more Lagunas present so we could drown our sorrow together.

Icon12

John, firstly welcome

& yeah...I was a little disapointed we didn't get any lagunas too...mum would have had hers there, except that she was madly preparing for overseas visitors who were to arrive the next day.

but you should have brought yours in!!! It was free entry to bring in the cars & you would have got a showbag too!
    & no need to be embarrased...my fuego didn't even end up get a bath before the event! (I reckon there should be a category for dirtiest car at the show...I would have taken that one out! )

The french car day is in April from memory...& last time a couple of Lagunas turned up...so don't be shy...your car will be welcomed, no matter what state it is in!
    Hope to see you there!

Aus
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

1000+ Posts

Default Different, quirky even but?

Quote Originally Posted by johnr
    I was in my 2003 Laguna but parked outside the fence - I'm not too sure that I should be proud of it. As most owners of this model say - the transmission (engine management syst) - is poor and the brakes grab at low speed.
    I guess I was hoping there might have been a few more Lagunas present so we could drown our sorrow together.
    Interesting you say that johnr, but the take so far on this model has been quite good from owners, the interactive (adaptive) transmission does take some getting used to in the way it changes down at low speed occasionally (going slowly downhill after a change in gradient) and the four wheel disc brakes are super efficient at any speed, you just don't stamp on the brake pedal as you will stop twice as fast as most other family cars!

I suppose if you were used to a poor braking car previously you could think the Laguna harsh in its braking? I only notice the better braking efficiency after I have been driving the old Toyota Camry for a while and treat the brake pedal to the same force, it only happens once and then you adjust to it.

I do notice that a low speed the brakes on the Laguna do squeak, but that may be the pads or slight glazing, but its only slight and doesn't worry me. and my wife has complained that the all round vision, especially to the rear is not as good as she had in the Camry (her previous daily driver) but so far I haven't seen any inclination to revert to the Camry (standing joke in our family!! )

And she does love driving it on country trips where the V6 comes into its own and the cruise control rules and for a V6 it is very economical on fuel.

For me it is a great car to drive, not exciting like the Fuego is, or the sport meganes and clios, but good economical motoring with plenty of zip in terms of power when you want to apply it and the best family safety protection into the bargain.

May I ask what car you drove as a daily driver before the Laguna, maybe this is why you are not enjoying your Laguna as other owners seem to? Pity that we didn't meet on the day as my wife was originally intending to bring the Laguna, she just ran out of time to do everything.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 29th November 2005 at 07:24 PM.

Tadpole

Don't get me wrong fellas, the Laguna is a great car in all areas except the ones mentioned. I agree that it's excellent on long trips and I do enjoy driving it. Sure, the brakes are deadly, I can handle that but it seems as if the rotors are out of round. The transmission is not certain what gear it wants to be in at low speeds.
    My daily driver is - sorry to mention it here folks - a 1955 Triumph TR3 so I'm certainly not comparing the brakes between the Laguna and the TR.
    In an earlier life, I had a Renault 15 which we drove to WA with 2 kids and so much stuff that it's a wonder it got us there. I ran over so many flat kangaroos on the way that the underbelly of the car was beautifully insulated with fur.
    johnr

1000+ Posts

Default Might be worth getting it checked under warranty

Johnr

If it is still under warranty, might be worth getting checked or if you know someone with a magnetic based dial indicator, you could take the wheels off and check for runout, and condition of the disk and brake surfaces, a hard spot on the disc, warping would be unusual - might be handy to try someone else's Laguna and see if the feeling is limited to your own car as I certainly do not have that in my Laguna as far as the transmision my wife claims that the downshifting doesn't happen when she is driving the car!! but then like her daughter she drives harder sometimes than I do

I did buy an extended warranty just in case that changing down does turn out to cause trouble as all the doomsday other car drivers and salesmen try perpetuate.

From what I am told in the trade its a good transmission if its regularly serviced with quality transmission fluid, and later like any auto its life can be extended with installation of a transmission cooller and fan (end of warranty seems to be the go)

Enjoy your Laguna!

Ken

No one should ever be ashamed or embarased to show there car,

I hit a kangaroo on the way there and still put it on show.

David.

1000+ Posts

Default Darn didn't get a photo of that!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh
    No one should ever be ashamed or embarased to show there car,

I hit a kangaroo on the way there and still put it on show.

David.
    Sorry Dave, If I knew you had the Kangaroo there I would have taken a picture!!!

I was on the gate at the Roundup and was surprised by the number of cars parking outside the paddock. All were welcome geez even the Commodore managed to find its way inside the gate (just). Last year I took my very sad looking R17 and was pleasantly surprised at how many good comments and interest there was in the car. Next year it wont be looking so shabby...hopefully.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Default French Car Festival

Johnr,
    Pity you didn't bring the Leguna in, some of us are happy(?) to hear the grumbles as well as the praises. As mentioned by Di and Ken there was more than the odd Laguna sitting at home while the play car went to Healesville.
    Wtihstanding all that, put a big mark in the diary on Sunday 9th April - French Car Festival - likely venue - Como Park North, SouthYarra. That is the one on the outside of the Sweeper where Alexandra Ave turns into Williams Rd. With luck some of the city bound Lagunas as well a couple of interstate ones, will make it to that.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Tadpole

Thanks for all the interest and helpful suggestions. I guess I need to meet some other Laguna drivers to make some comparisons and I'll come along to the FCF in April.

johnr

Thread Information