R16 rear brakes problem
  • Register
  • Help

Default R16 rear brakes problem

Bloody drums!
    My problem is that the linings are catching and providing a little resistance when the car is rolling, and when I hit the brakes hard the damn thing locks up and things get a bit hairy with a new rav4 right in front. Although it may be the favourite pastime of others to rearrange the rear ends of new toyotas, I would like to avoid this type of encounter where at all possible (It was a very close call).

My question is about their adjustment, as the drum I have does not look like the drum in the haynes manual. I have a r1151 16TS. Pictured is the left rear drum with the wheel off (photographed from behind).

Advertisement

How the hell do I adjust this little bastard!

Julian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R16 rear brakes problem-10230002.jpg  

That looks like a Girling back plate to me which has self adjusting brakes. From the message it sounds like it may be doing its job, if the linings are up to the drums, provided there isn't too much resistance. Also sometimes the adjuster seizes, and needs a good clean.

It could also be that the brake proportioning valve is non functioning, or incorrectly set if the brakes lock prematurely.

how do I clean the adjust mechanism if it is a girling?
    I thought my 1151 had bendix drums...

Quote Originally Posted by julian
    The drum will have to be pulled off to allow access to the adjuster.

The Bendix brakes have a visible clip on the backplate, hence my suggestion that they are Girling brakes. Also they don't have the adjuster at the base of the back plate, so they would be the self adjusting Girling brakes.

Fellow Frogger!

Simon probably has nailed the problem - sounds like your equalizer valve is acting as a one way valve. I have only ever had one give me grief and that was the opposite problem - bloody thing leaked just enough to give me a lousy pedal. Put it in the scrap iron collection and fitted a new one, so can't say whether they are servicable.
    Unless the brakes have been adjusted recently there doesn't seem much point in backing them off.
    Last edited by Ron Boulton; 7th December 2005 at 02:44 AM.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Default One way to fix problem

I was not happy with the self-adjusting rear brakes, so had them replaced with the earlier version with the external adjustment.
    You also need to check that the adjustment of the rear brake limiter is correct. This can lead to minimal or maximum rear braking.
    Good luck, great cars.

John Masefield

2 Litre manual Laguna, 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by julian
    Just once I had a similar front drum brake problem. It turned out to be a small flap of rubber from the inside of the brake hose acting as a one-way valve and partly jamming the brake on. Took a bit of thinking but it was clearly on one wheel only - I presume yours is both wheels?

If both wheels, I'd suspect that proportioning valve too.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Default Check handbrake

Julian
    Just remembered that I had 16 where the inner of the front handbrake cable frayed and wouldn't release. Had to pull the pin at the point where the front cable is attached to rear cable. If the front cable is jamming for any reason - the rear cable will still be under tension when the handbrake is 'released'.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    It turned out to be a small flap of rubber from the inside of the brake hose acting as a one-way valve and partly jamming the brake on. JohnW
    John, that's surprisingly common, believe it or not. You're the third person I've heard of with that problem, all with different makes of cars. The inner layer of rubber delaminates off of the reinforcement.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

make that 4

Same thing happened to me years ago in my first 16.

David.

Thread Information